Country
llUnited Kingdom
VASSAL 3.5.5 Released

Download: https://github.com/vassalengine/vassal/releases/tag/3.5.5

Release notes: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/VASSAL_3.5_Release_Notes

Changes since 3.5.4:

Bug fixes

• 14348: Invisible Trait UI conflated opacity with transparency
  • 14336: MouseoverStackViewer improperly excludes does-not-move pieces when "include move-when-selected" is unchecked
  • 14332: NullPointerException in Expression.resetCachedExpressions()
  • 14331: Additional Selection Highlighter fails to offset images
  • 14327: IllegalComponentStateException in ToolbarMenu.launch()
  • 14322: IllegalComponentStateException in TableInfo.myKeyEvent()
  • 14321: IllegalComponentStateException in PropertySheet.myKeyEvent()
  • 14317: NPE in ReturnToDeck.getDeckName()
  • 14310: Property Sheet options not saved
  • 14309: Missing Deck.deck translation key
  • 14301: GKC/GHK trigger actions out of order at remote end in online play
  • 14296: IndexOutOfBoundsException in BasicLogger.step() when holding down step key
  • 14291: IllegalArgumentException in PlayerRoster.resetListeners()
  • 14290: Online multi-player game is subject to a race condition that ends with corrupt decks
  • 14288: Deck Hotkey ignored from keyboard and Global Hotkey Trait in preset scenarios
  • 14285: IllegalArgumentException in PlayerRoster when moving items in Editor
  • 14284: Chess Clocks: fixed problem where "allow reset" option selection wouldn't "stick"
  • 14262: Missing Editor.GridEditor.command_arrow_keys translation key
  • 14225: Send Hotkey action corrupts target deck
  • 13837: Creating a Global Property with Null name causes NPE on Load Game
  • 13203: Refresh Counters causes Pieces within Decks to expand
Other improvements

* 14282: Upgrade to Java 16 for Windows, Mac packages

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does this play nice with any version of VASL?

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Since upgrading to 3.5.5, I often get errors writing the log to my dropbox dir using End Logfile. Not just with VASL, but other VASSAL modules as well. Here's the error listing:

Code:
java.nio.file.FileSystemException: D:\Dropbox\Asad-Grant\065The Gauntlet -gl.vlog: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:92)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileCopy.move(WindowsFileCopy.java:384)
    at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.move(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:293)
    at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.move(Files.java:1426)
    at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipWriter.close(ZipWriter.java:112)
    at VASSAL.build.module.BasicLogger.write(BasicLogger.java:401)
    at VASSAL.build.module.BasicLogger$1.actionPerformed(BasicLogger.java:571)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1972)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2313)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:374)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1022)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1066)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6617)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3342)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6382)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2264)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4993)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2322)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4825)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4934)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4563)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4504)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2308)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2773)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4825)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:772)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
    at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
    at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:95)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:745)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:743)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
    at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:742)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Code:
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
Dropbox is reading the file at the same time you're trying to write it.

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Strange, but I've used dropbox with VASSAL for years without this problem.
Then I started having a bit of a problem last summer (maybe around version 3.3.x). Worked around it for a while, then noticed it had cleared up by 3.5.0. Now it's back again.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Has the version of Dropbox you're using changed over the same period?

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
Has the version of Dropbox you're using changed over the same period?

Good question. It's not something I recall updating. It does show a version number if you open the app, but nowhere to update (upgrade, of course, is very visible).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I stopped storing my l logfiles on Dropbox, as it sent me messages that the file already existed.
I switched to Google Drive.
Happliy the problem doesn't occur with other file servings, as I like Dropbox a lot.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
We'd appreciate it if you'd try the posted build with Dropbox and report back.
I don't understand what you mean.
I just shared my experience and I am quite sure that the problem is on the side of Dropbox (I seem to have had the same problem in another, non VASSAL, related occasion).

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't understand what you mean.
I just shared my experience and I am quite sure that the problem is on the side of Dropbox (I seem to have had the same problem in another, non VASSAL, related occasion).
The problem is with Dropbox, because it's very aggressive about monitoring files for changes and taking locks on them. The build to which I linked has a change in which we defensively lock our output file immediately on creating it, in order to preempt Dropbox doing the same thing. We'd like to know if this is effective for people who were having the problem.

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
So far so good with me, but I'll keep testing. The dropbox lockup only occurs intermittently so I could just be lucky so far. I'll report back to this thread.

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
No problems today either after several logs saved to dropbox on two different machines.

sushidog

Reaction score
First name
Grant
Country
llCanada
The problem is with Dropbox, because it's very aggressive about monitoring files for changes and taking locks on them. The build to which I linked has a change in which we defensively lock our output file immediately on creating it, in order to preempt Dropbox doing the same thing. We'd like to know if this is effective for people who were having the problem.
I haven't had a problem with the build you provided. Your defensive lock seems to be working great. I'm using it on both my desktop and laptop and no problems with either one. Thanks for the solution.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
VASSAL v3.5.5 shoots adware alarms by my Virus Scanner, more precisely the uninst.exe:

Shortly after the uninst.exe all the other files part of the intallation are also quarantined as suspects (more than 560).

The same was the case for VASSAL v3.5.4 while VASSAL v3.5.3 and earlier versions worked without issue.

I see that I am not the only one reporting this issue:

In case the other user has reported the alarm as a 'false positive' to the AV company, it has not had any effect.

von Marwitz