Country
llUnited Kingdom
VASSAL 3.4.9 Released

Download: https://github.com/vassalengine/vassal/releases/tag/3.4.9

Release notes: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/VASSAL_3.4_Release_Notes

Changes since 3.4.8:

Bug fixes
  • 13655: Grid caching interferes with drawing zone highlighters
  • 13636: AbstractBuildable.getAllDescendantComponentsOf() does not recurse properly
  • 13631: NPE in Map.placeAt()
  • 13616: Java reports incorrect amount of RAM on Linux ARM systems
  • 13608: Grids fail to display in grid editor
  • 13602: NPE in MassPieceLoader.MassLoaderDialog.load()
  • 13598: IndexOutOfBoundsException when drawing grids over SVG

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These VASSAL releases are coming very quickly. Are the 3.4.x series all compatible or do we need to worry about incompatibilities between players?

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You can't have a version skew problem if you're all using the same version. My recommendation is for everyone always to use the current version, unless you're hitting a bug which prevents that (in which case please let us know so we can fix it).

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can't have a version skew problem if you're all using the same version. My recommendation is for everyone always to use the current version, unless you're hitting a bug which prevents that (in which case please let us know so we can fix it).
3.4.9 won't show the maps when I use it with VASL

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that answers my question as they are not necessarily compatible and we should worry about it enough to always use the same versions.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
3.4.9 won't show the maps when I use it with VASL
Would you provide more details about what precisely your doing so I can try to reproduce the problem? (Maps load for me. How do I see what you're seeing?)

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think that answers my question as they are not necessarily compatible and we should worry about it enough to always use the same versions.
The current version exists because we fixed bugs in the previous version. If you want those bugs, or want to take your chances when one player has those bugs and another doesn't, it's up to you.

We'd prefer people stay current, as that minimizes problems for everyone involved. Providing a compatibility matrix across all the 3.4 versions hinders that, so it's not something I want to sink time into---which is why I did not answer your question directly.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would you provide more details about what precisely your doing so I can try to reproduce the problem? (Maps load for me. How do I see what you're seeing?)
When I try to load a logfile, everything shows up but the map boards. The logfile was created with an older version, 3.4.6 I think.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
@uckelman - I can confirm the issue In some cases, maps do not show if using VASSAL v3.4.9.

I believe the issue might be the following:

If terrain overlays are in use on a board, the map will not show. If no overlay is in use, then it works. That said, the terrain overlays themselves seem to show.
This is a guess, that I had when I suspiciously noticed a River overlay but not the board beneath while attempting to watch a game on VASL. I tried a couple of other ongoing games after that. I could detect no issues for games in which I was (reasonably) sure that no overlays were in effect. Maps were missing in cases where I found the use of overlays to be likely.

I do not know if the issue persists if terrain overlays are in use and both sides use VASSAL v3.4.9.
I will 'downgrade' to VASSAL v3.4.8 to confirm, if the issue persits then and report back here.

Edit:
After 'downgrade' to v3.4.8, the maps were shown again in the same games in which they did not show previously with v3.4.9. I checked for about half a dozen ongoing games on the VASL server. So the issue definitively lies with VASSAL v3.4.9.

What remains open as of yet is if the problem persists if both sides would be using VASSAL v3.4.9.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
An Afterthought:

I have not checked whether the method of placing a Terrain Overlay might have something to do with the problem.
There are two possible methods:

1. The 'traditional' method by specifiying coordinates for the placement of the overlay.
  2. Per Drag & Drop by the Overlay Extension.
Might be worth a mention in order to pinpoint the problem.

von Marwitz

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Try the test build VASSAL-3.4.10-SNAPSHOT-bug13688, available here. Does that solve the problem with reversed maps?

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I can't test anything with overlays as I can't figure out how to apply them. If anyone wants that tested, please give me a hint.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I can't test anything with overlays as I can't figure out how to apply them. If anyone wants that tested, please give me a hint.
In your VASL directory, you need a folder for the boards in which the VASL board files are stored. The name and postition of the boards folder can be specified in the Preferences of VASL under 'Board Directory'.

Within that boards folder (Boards v6.6.x in the above example) , you need a sub-folder named 'overlays'.

Into this 'overlays' folder, you place the overlay files which can be downloaded here:

Then, if you create a new game in VASL, you first choose the board(s), then press the button to select the overlay(s) as shown below. Overlay IDs beginning with an 'X' represent buildings. If it is a multi hex overlay, then you specify two coordinates for alignment. This method of placing overlays is the so called 'traditional method'

The second method to place overlays is by using an Extension for VASL named 'VASLOverlays_v2.04.vmdx' which can be downloaded here:

VASL looks for the Extension files in the folder specified in the Preferences.

If the extension file is stored in the extensions folder, this extension will be available after restarting VASL.

You would now create a new game, select a board. Then in the 'VASL controls' window you hit the button 'Overlays'.

Then a window opens in which you can select the overlay you want and move it onto the desired board via drag&drop. Alignment can then be made via the context menu of the dragged overlay. This is the 'drag&drop' method.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Try the test build VASSAL-3.4.10-SNAPSHOT-bug13688, available here. Does that solve the problem with reversed maps?
I have downloaded and installed the SNAPSHOT, but currently, there seem to be no ongoing games on which I can test it because no overlays seem to be involved. I'll keep an eye open and to so when the opportunity arises.

von Marwitz

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the explanation with overlays. That seems to be working with the test build.

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For awareness, I had the same issue with maps when starting a new game offline. It happens when I flip the boards in the setup (no overlays involved). If I don't flip the boards, the maps appear to work fine. The "snapshot" did not fix.

Any tips on resolving would be appreciated. Thanks.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For awareness, I had the same issue with maps when starting a new game offline. It happens when I flip the boards in the setup (no overlays involved). If I don't flip the boards, the maps appear to work fine. The "snapshot" did not fix.

Are you certain that you tried the correct build?

Please try VASSAL-3.4.10-SNAPSHOT-f4bfd55dd, from the same location.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Hm, interesting. I have not checked if in the games that involved overlays the boards were flipped. Can't check that any more, because the VASL sessions are over. So theoretically, I could also be a board-flip issue and not a Terrain Overlay issue.

von Marwitz

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The current version exists because we fixed bugs in the previous version. If you want those bugs, or want to take your chances when one player has those bugs and another doesn't, it's up to you.

We'd prefer people stay current, as that minimizes problems for everyone involved. Providing a compatibility matrix across all the 3.4 versions hinders that, so it's not something I want to sink time into---which is why I did not answer your question directly.
My reason for asking is that I tend towards long campaign games that sometimes take a year to complete. given what we are seeing with the VASSAL upgrades, it appears I need to keep each version of VASSAL with which I start a game and need to just keep with that version for that game until it is completed. It is extremely nice that bug fixes are getting completed, I was just surprised with the pace after seeing so many versions in just one month.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My reason for asking is that I tend towards long campaign games that sometimes take a year to complete. given what we are seeing with the VASSAL upgrades, it appears I need to keep each version of VASSAL with which I start a game and need to just keep with that version for that game until it is completed.
Upgrading to a newer bugfix version during an ongoing game is in general not going to cause you a problem with the integrity of your game. What could cause a problem is if you and your opponent don't both upgrade.
It is extremely nice that bug fixes are getting completed, I was just surprised with the pace after seeing so many versions in just one month.
The pace of releases now is similar to when 3.1 and 3.2 were under active development. Maybe not very many people remember that anymore, as it was 2009 and 2013, respectively.