VASSAL 3.3.0 test builds

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VASSAL 3.3.0 Test Builds

We're preparing to release VASSAL 3.3.0, and could use some testers.

What are the changes over 3.2.17?
  • Java 9 or later is now required.
  • Mac and Windows bundles have Java included with them, so you don't need to install Java yourself nor can you get the wrong version.
  • All of our dependencies are once again current.
  • Support for HiDPI displays: If you have a HiDPI display (e.g., a Retina display on a Mac), VASSAL will be sharp and normal sized rather than very small or poorly upscaled.
Where are the test builds?

You can find test builds here: http://www.vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/ At the time of writing this, 3.3.0-svn9324 is the most recent test build.

How can I help?

Download a test build, try it, and report back what you saw, letting us know your OS, what modules you tried, and how to reproduce any issues you encountered. (In particular, for HiDPI support we're not confident that we caught everything---problems with that would show up as odd rendering on HiDPI systems which didn't occur under 3.2.17.)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

This is VASL 6.4.4 .. reading a 6.4.4 save. The counters are actually "logically" on the map although you see them on the side, tinier

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What OS is that on? Does that happen for you with modules other than VASL?

(Seeing this, I suspect VASL is going to require some modifications for HiDPI support as well, probably in one of the custom board classes.)

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I try it, with may mac osX 10.14. I create a new map, but when i drop the counters they are very small respect the hexes, and the end off map and i wan no more able to select them

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So... I am going to need to speak with the VASL devs about what things will need updating in VASL for VASSAL 3.3.0 compatibility. I can see a handful of things in ASLMap already.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's not as bad as it sounds, both because of the limited scope and because I've already made the necessary changes in VASSAL so I can advise on where to look. I will need to get somebody's attention for this, though.