VASSAL 3.1.15 won't start anymore

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My VASSAL no longer starts and I have no clue why not. Running Vista 64-bit.

I reinstalled Java (32-bit) and when I go to the java.com site and check if I have java installed it starts java.exe *32 in my process window (although that goes away after awhile), it tells my I have java installed.

When I try to run Vassal, which has worked for years, I get nothing.

The target for the shortcut is "C:\Program Files (x86)\VASSAL-3.1.15\VASSAL.exe"

I reinstalled Vassal using my downloaded file "VASSAL-3.1.15-windows.exe". I use this for VASL and The Longest Day.

ANyone understand the nuances of the java/vassal interaction to understand why vassal does not start java and get going?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
My VASSAL no longer starts and I have no clue why not. Running Vista 64-bit.

I reinstalled Java (32-bit) and when I go to the java.com site and check if I have java installed it starts java.exe *32 in my process window (although that goes away after awhile), it tells my I have java installed.

When I try to run Vassal, which has worked for years, I get nothing.

The target for the shortcut is "C:\Program Files (x86)\VASSAL-3.1.15\VASSAL.exe"

I reinstalled Vassal using my downloaded file "VASSAL-3.1.15-windows.exe". I use this for VASL and The Longest Day.

ANyone understand the nuances of the java/vassal interaction to understand why vassal does not start java and get going?
I dunno, but when I just tried to fire up 3.1.17, it started and told me my version of VASSAL was not the latest version and asked me if I wanted to download the latest version.

I downloaded 3.1.18 and it fired up fine. I'm thinkin' 3.1.17 would have probably run as well.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tired 3.1.18 as well, nojoy. It never starts java.

Whatever the instructions are in the exe they can not be accomplished on my computer anymore. Don't know if it is some registry thing with java, some link to the java executable or somthing else. The most bizarre thing I have seen in years.

I suspect all vassal.exe does is execute a command line running the vengine.jar file with the javaw.exe. Something like that was the way it used to start wiht the old vasl code.
Very frustrating.

The VASSAL.exe in the program files\vassal folder is only 64kb, but the VASSAL.exe it loads into the java\jre6\launch4j-tmp folder is 146kb. Both are newly installed since I cleared everything out. I suspect the installer just creates the files with the correct startup commands for your machine and you are supposedly good to go.

I suspect I am going to need to do a complete re-install of my operating system to get this worked out. Something is amiss in the guts and I don't have the knowledge to figure it out.

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok,l I figured out my problem. Some files got "hidden" on my system and it couldn't find them, in particular the VASL.jnlp file. Once that was unhidden, it comes up.

Now I have another issue. I run large CGs all the time, so I run with a large heap size. I have 8Gb of RAM so it is not a problem. Now when I start up I get an error message telling me I can't allocate mroe than my physical memory and to reset my preferences and restart. Now I only have the max heap set at 1 Gb so this should be no problem at all.

We'll see how long it takes to find the problem with this (which never came up before either).

Has to be another issue with hidden files I suspect. Got some maleware from scout.com (they actually confirmed they had an issue later that night) on monday and it really messed up my system.

I load The Longest Day and noticed my preferences were 2Gb for initial and 4Gb for max heap. It won't allow me more than 1.5Gb max heap without complaining. (this with 8Gb of RAM). But when I load the TLD campaign, it gives me an error telling me it ran out of memory and I need to increase my max heap allocation. Talk about a catch-22.

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
In the main VASSAL window, under the "File" pull down, there is a "Preferences" selection, which in turn has a tab for "Importer" where you can set JVM initial heap and JVM maximum heap. Have you tried to kill the process of the mal-ware process?

Yeah, windows IE security functions pretty much had a hissy fit about the VASSAL intall (.exe) file even after they scanned it and found no threats. Threw up a big red window that presented a number of options, none of which was going to lead to ultimate execution of the file. I pretty much had to kill the window without picking any of their choice.

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the main VASSAL window, under the "File" pull down, there is a "Preferences" selection, which in turn has a tab for "Importer" where you can set JVM initial heap and JVM maximum heap. Have you tried to kill the process of the mal-ware process?

Yeah, windows IE security functions pretty much had a hissy fit about the VASSAL intall (.exe) file even after they scanned it and found no threats. Threw up a big red window that presented a number of options, none of which was going to lead to ultimate execution of the file. I pretty much had to kill the window without picking any of their choice.
I never saw that one before, although I think it only affects the import of modules. Anyway, I set the max in that preference box to 2048 and it comes up without complaint. When I start VASL from VASSAL is when I get the complaint. The VASL log records this error:

24 Dec 2011 23:09:51.441 0 -- Loading module file C:\Users\Alan\Documents\VASL-5.9\VASL592.mod
24 Dec 2011 23:09:51.456 0 -- Loading module VASL
24 Dec 2011 23:09:51.456 0 C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java -Xms512M -Xmx2048M -DVASSAL.id=3 -Duser.home=C:\Users\Alan -cp lib\Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.Player
24 Dec 2011 23:09:52.470 0 Could not create the Java virtual machine.