vASLOK I

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally got the details going for vASLOK I - you can find them here:

Please let me know if you notice any issues or have questions.

Basic format is minis on Thursday/Saturday with Grofaz play/Grofaz minis on Friday. No T's this year - given we break even on them typically it didn't really make sense to attempt to deal with shipping or storing a bunch of T's until next October.

I hope to have pairings/scenario available no later than 10/1 allowing first round matchups to kick-off early if both sides are amenable to that or no later than Thursday morning. Please note that games are expected to be played on an EST schedule so be prepared to play at 8AM EST each day and ready for follow-up games after...

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi.

I am on +5 EST. Is it worth me signing up please? I really do not want to be playing at 3 am my time :)

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bret,
Is there a standard VASL version we should plan to use ? I ask because three versions of VASL have been released this year and want to make sure I'm on the right one.
Thanks

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Bret,
Is there a standard VASL version we should plan to use ? I ask because three versions of VASL have been released this year and want to make sure I'm on the right one.
Thanks
Good question! ?

von Marwitz

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bret,
Thanks
Per the flyer:
Vassal version 3.2.17 with VASL version 6.51 should be used by all players along with the random.org dicebot.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So if I already have 3.4.3 and VASL 6.6.0 can I revert somehow?
You can install both variants in parallel. All you might need to do is to adjust the boards folder and the extensions folder of the Preferences if you switch versions and do no use the identical place for these on your machine.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would love to get the logfiles for the Semis and Finals games (or any other game featuring a good game, where both players wouldn't mind seeing their game being shown in public and perhaps Neutrally Commented on). If you and your opponent are amenable and interested, drop me a line.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
@Bret Hildebran I said this to you in private, but I wanted to say it here in public. Thanks for hosting vASLOk. I know it is not the ASLOk many of us had hoped for, but it is little slice of relatively normal we all probably need right now. The same goes for all the other people hosting on-line tournaments in place of their regular fare. The community (IMO) owes you all a small debt of gratitude. -- jim

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As I said in the other ASLOk thread, thanks for running this Bret. Thanks too to those who gave me a chance to get a little more ASL in.

Having witnessed the slaughter of his countrymen in Abyssinia at the hands of Killeen's South Africans, this Bersaglieri survivor is off to get some cycling in while the sun shines. (Neither ATR scored a direct hit on a bicycle cached before the battle. This allowed the unit historian to withdraw to write another day.)

Good gunning to those still in the fight!

-chris

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
@Bret Hildebran thanks for hosting vASLOK. I just started playing ASL a year ago and this was fun for me. Played 7 games and, won 2, and got blown out only in one (jacked victory conditions in my opinion).

I know vASLOK wasn't nearly the same as the real thing but for me it was great. I think the Discord server worked pretty well. You could message the gang and then voice over Discord for games. There was still plenty of back channel conversations through email. Trying to run this virtual must have been challenging.

I'm not that crazy about Discord as a forum per se but as a tool for vASL Conventions it serves better than any other tool I can think of.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'd also like to go on the public record with thanks for Bret for all the effort he put into vASLOK. I ended up in a mini final with Mr. Pleva and got my ass handed to me on a silver platter, so for a few days, life approached normality.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I'd also like to go on the public record with thanks for Bret an all the effort he put into vASLOK. I ended up in a mini final with Mr. Pleva and got my ass handed to me on a silver platter, so for a few days, life approached normality.
Yes Steve has a very nice and very well worn silver platter that many many asses have been served upon. ??