VASLeague 2018, general discussion

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Andy Beaton's Russians have won against Don Holland's Poles in BFP140 Iron Greeting. Not many moving tanks left after a wild and woolly fight with a fine opponent.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My defending German's won against Kevin K's Attacking Ami's in HF7, gotta get out. A very tense game that came down to a conscript holding out in the train station in the face of a mtr, meat chopper, two tanks and an adjacent 667. Although he did have a little help from his friends as well as the dicebot.... Many thanks to Kevin for an enjoyable game.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My attacking Germans defeated Craig Houston's Frenchmen in SP195, Retreat from Hannut. Craig's dice failed him repeatedly.

Rob Loper

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Darryl Lundy's Japanese, just overcame my plucky Brits in FrF90 Speed is the Essence in War.
Despite my poor rolls and even worse set up, I still had a chance to win on the last roll.
I'm not saying my shooting was bad but at the end of the scenario my shooting had caused a squad to halve and then break but no other Japanese unutvwas even striped!

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Andy Riemer's Yugoslav Partizans overcame the Steve Andersons NDH Croat defenses on Danica Air (J108). After terrible losses and dice rolls for the initial attack of the partizans, a well placed critical mortar hit into a victory location marked the turn of the scenario. The last round saw the Croatian MMGs malfunction, the defenders rolling nothing below 9ers and thusly the explosion of the Ammo dumps, sealing that rollercoaster. A very enjoying scenario and a pleasant and challenging opponent!

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Enrico

Rick Galli and I just finished our game

ASL187 Morgan's Stand
I was the Germans and Rick the Ami

After an eventful game, with lots of ups and downs, (Rick broke his Sherman MA on the first shot..and then fixed it for good with a 6!)

but the German were able to retain control the victory hex and win the game

It was a fun game against great opponent ,

BTW i believe Morgan's Stand to be a good scenario with lots of replay value, mainly due to the variable entry conditions for both sides

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich Domovic's Russians defeated Paul Lauger's Germans in DB141 - Gut Punch.

It went down to the final die roll, a 3-1 CC attack which eliminated the last unbroken MMC in a building to gain the win for the Russians.

The battle went back and forth for the seven turns, some when I thought I was in good shape, some in trouble.

The Russians must eliminate all unbroken German MMCs in buildings on board 9b. The scenario sees a weak, 1945 German force of 12 squad equivalents, 9 conscripts assaulted by 12 Russian elite squads and 10 tanks. The Germans do have an 88L, 75L and an immobilized King Tiger.

Half boards 46 and 75 flank VC board 9b and the Germans must setup forces on all three boards, while the Russians must enter on all three.

Paul's Germans destroyed six Russian tanks with panzerfausts (6's were wild), one in CC, while I cellar-ed two tanks and immobilized one T34/M43 (which counted for the one remaining tank required). The 88L missed a 10 To Hit shot, followed by an IF malfunction. CC was my friend as the Russians eventually won all the infantry CCs.

The tiger effectively overwatched the middle huts, protecting concealed German halfsquads. The middle hut 75L succumbed to a 2+2 shot and a last turn assault took out the German halfsquads despite tiger fire.

A 236/8-1 sneaked back into a building near the upper two factories, setting up the final 3-1.

Enjoyed playing Paul.

Rich

Last edited:

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Aaron Cleavin's Germans held the Line versus Enricos' Russian Horde in FrF98 AmerikanSkaya Suka. Enrico played an excellent cautious attack massing ad waiting until a weak point appeared then forcing through.
A total of 2 MA malfunctions (2 from Intensive fire) rally put paid to Enrico's chances though.

I got to perform 16+2 overrun of A trucks with 2 squads on-board by a Panther which is my first overrun into a loaded truck hex in a long time.

Enrico was a pleasure to play and plays very quickly and precisely.

FrF98 is another outstanding scenario from Friendly Fire and will grace man a tournament and casual table over coming years.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That's gruesome. :cry:
Maybe a tad optimistic on the other side :rofl:
Only immobilized the Truck and broke one squad, ESB'd to stop successfully, failed to kill the remaining loaded Squad in CC (Who deigned not to attack back for fear of SN), but when a T-34 drove into my hex in desperation to get behind me rolled a 4 TH and burnt it effectively ending the game, most entertaining all round

andrea pagni

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Only immobilized the Truck and broke one squad, ESB'd to stop successfully, failed to kill the remaining loaded Squad in CC (Who deigned not to attack back for fear of SN), but when a T-34 drove into my hex in desperation to get behind me rolled a 4 TH and burnt it effectively ending the game, most entertaining all round
why not attack? isn't the SN going to attack just the same during the CC phase?

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Paolo CARIOLATO combined allied forces defeated françois BOUDRENGHIEN german engineers in J167 Hart Attack for the Final of the TOP VASLEAGUE

By the end of Allied turn 4 Francois had retaken the small building near the allied entry area, had 2 squad and a leader poised to counterattack the northen village where I had taken 2 building and a melee was going on, I had 3,5 squad to 1 in the village. In the south I had 1 building and an advantage of 6 (some of them concealed and ready to attack) squad to 2 (one broken and alone in a wood hex), all my tanks were good 2 in the northen village, 1 in the southern village for close support 1 posed to escape south adjacent to a wood hex and 1 more in the south was used to support the infantry attack. the 3 german AFV were all in the back of the southern village ready to counterattack my infantry. I had broken 3 SA and 1 MA but things looked quite bright for the allied cause. The GUN was nowhere to be seen. I had 3 VP and the prospect of getting all buildings in the next phase for 3 more VP and 3 tanks in position to exit.

Then it started to get complicated: the lone german broken squad in the south self rallied with a 3 (just enough), the AFV going to exit bogged in the wood with on +1 roll with a 12 (later immobilized on a 11), Francois took out a Lee in the northen village with a CH with his only ATR; since I was sure the GUN was in the center I promptly moved my remaining northen AFV to exit on the northen side of the map, unfortunately the GUN was there and promptly destroyed it. German fire in the south wiped out a concealed squad in the village and broke two more HS. I fired my HMG with the 9-2 into the melee in the north but the 22+1 only got my squad broken (later killed trying to widthraw from melee)
The German were back in the game and with only 3 VP from building, no clear way to exit an AFV and German armor forces intact it looked grim for me.

But it changed again: in the last turn 9-2 dude rememberd his men how to pull the MG trigger and I got one more VP form builing in the north, the german forces trying to recapture a building were beaten back, while in the south the support AFV was able to pass a +4 BOG check and a 2 ESB roll getting another VP while the close supporting tank broke german squads and my swarming HS captured 2 more building while a crew reduced in ashes with gammon bombs one PzIII. I was then at 8 VP. Francois gallant attempt to overrun my HSs with his remaining panzers were beaten back and I won my first TOP VASLEAGUE.

It was a well played game of a top balanced scenario and François was a pleasure to play with.

Paolo

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last activity from League control was 9/14. I fear the site is dead. :mad: Enrico report in please.... :rolleyes: