VASLeague 2018, general discussion

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grebbe Hill, Holland, 13 May 1940: Dan Cunningham's Dutch put up a determined defense, but David Langer's Germans eeked out a win by grabbing the needed fourth and final victory building in the last turn (of ASL 143: Grebbe End). The Dutch began the scenario defending a wood's line as the Germans approached, then falling back in good order to some buildings (six buildings in total, of which the Germans had to capture 4 in 5.5 turns). With the Germans now through to the opposite end of the woods and facing the occupied buildings, Dutch Major Landzaat began to direct fire of 2 squads, an HMG and a LMG. Finding ROF to be favorably inclined, they proceeded to provide two German squads the opportunity to sample a broad range of the morale/HoB offerings: first breaking them with one ELR (bummer), then both (!!) squads rolling snake-eyes, battle-hardening and generating a hero (woot!), to finally breaking them again, CR'ing one and killing the hero (awww...) by the time the barrels needed to cool a bit--that was all in one looong fire sequence. Unfortunately for the Major, German MG and small arms fire subsequently found their mark, and the Germans swept into three buildings over a couple of turns, although two could be occupied only after some naaaassty melee (which included one green Dutch squad killing two first line German squads with a single role, but then breaking to small arms fire). In the end, the Major found himself the sole defender of the fourth and final victory building with German squads closing in to finish him, much like the historical end as presented in the scenario description. A tough day in Grebbe Hill.

A big tip-of-the-hat to Dan who played a great game and was an-all-around fun opponent. Good luck in the future league games!

Cheers,
David

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I totally diced Brian Roundhill's Germans in J188, Grab and Go, last Saturday, him breaking and X-ing out both the MTR and Hmg. To add insullt to injury, the German goalie continued the streak of 12's later that evening.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I'll try to go beyond the slaughterhouse ( ITR-8 ) overruning the nazi defenders with Craig's permission.
a brand new scenario for both of us. Curious to see a FT32 tank at work at three hexes range :cool:

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the East Coast League, Jim Fardette's French challenged Mark Watson's Germans in A Real Barn Burner. Dice were hot early for the French, who scored a critical hit with the mortar against the German MMG position. The German AT gun countered by breaking an entire platoon of French who carelessly stacked in his LOS, but it was not enough to prevent the remaining French from sprinting past the bedazzled Germans. The final close combats sealed the German fate on turn 3. Mark is a fun opponent to play and I look forward to playing against him in the future.

MrHonus

Honus
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perham (German) defeats Larry (Russian) in FrF68 A Hasty Farewell. Captured T-34s are the best!

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
In the game (second league) COLIN lionel vs DEISSLER tobias, my Germans managed a close win over Tobias Polish in J113 Mackzek Fire Brigade. Thank you Tobias for a challenging and entertaining game !

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the US East League, Jim TAYLOR and Mike AUGUSTINE are playing SP99 The Feineisen Factor. Jim has the Germans, Mike has the Americans.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the second line league, Lee Sellars and I have started playing ASL 187 - Morgan's Stand. Lee is the attacking Germans, and I am the Americans desperately waiting for their reinforcements to show up.

Alan

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the US East League, Paul Schaeffer (Japanese) and Damon Norko (Chinese) are playing BFP29 - Hueishan Docks. We are about halfway through and the Japanese defense has held better than anyone could have predicted. Time for the counter strike!

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the US/Canada West league, my Australians defeated David Haasl's Vichy French/Syrians in J184, "Dayan To Meet You."

In an imaginative use of part of the Kakazu Ridge board, Chas Argent has designed a challenging little tournament-sized scenario that tests tactical skills. I didn't need tactical skill, as my dice were red hot in the game's later stages. A captured French mortar went on a ROF tear from the rooftop, making a berserker out of its target down the hill in the gully. Dayan got into position to fling his DC at them scrambling up the gully, and lost an eye in the process of wiping them out. So yeah, accurate.

David was a fun and knowledgeable opponent, and I look forward to our next match.

jeffwinto

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the major league Jon Bays Australians defeated Jeff Wasserman's Japanese in Coke Hill BFP-67.
I thought I had a brilliant plan but Jon was patient and waited for his opportunity. Enjoyable game looking
forward to a rematch.

Rick Galli

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the Second Line League, Rick Galli's Germans defeated Al Nikolov's Americans in No Better Spot to Die (16).

This was a fun scenario, but tough on the Americans. The Americans opted for a forward defense, and quickly found themselves overwhelmed by German firepower. By Turn 4 the Germans had overrun the main American defensive line and were across the gully in strength. By the end of Turn 6, they were pushing into the town and the Americans were reduced to a single good order half-squad.

Thanks to Al for a fun game and I wish him the best of luck in future rounds.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the 2nd Line League, my Americans defeated Alberto Griffa's Germans in T1 Gavin Take. To be fair, I was favored by the dice, and he was not.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the US East League, Paul Schaeffer (Japanese) and Damon Norko (Chinese) are playing BFP29 - Hueishan Docks. We are about halfway through and the Japanese defense has held better than anyone could have predicted. Time for the counter strike!
We finished this last night. The early fiasco that put the Chinese behind the 8-ball was too much to overcome. Damon fought to the end and made a game of it, but the impressive number of MA malfs, and other 'dice of ill-intent' made it a lost cause. Interesting scenario for sure with lots going on. Oddly, we anticipated tankette battles through the streets, but only one tank went down to tank fire. Japanese guns were crazy effective and a Chinese LMG even burned one. Japanese FTs got off about 8 shots without a malf which was hard to face as well. Fun was had, and hopefully Damon has broken his last MA of the calendar year.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Laurent Le Billan and I completed our game of SP202 Fiery Finale in the 2nd line group. His King Tigers disposed of two Soviet tanks right away but the dice came back in my favor. A CH on an AFPh shot burned a Tiger, and more luck on a crucial FPF ended German resistance. Soviet win vs a very good player and a fine opponent.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrick Palma and I just finished up AP14, Ace in the Hole. I won with the attacking Americans. The crew of my experimental Pershing must have read the scenario card, because they managed a historical (and quite lucky) long-range kill of Pat's Tiger (albeit no 2000 yard kills for them, so they didn't quite live up to the scenario card). While Pat wasn't pleased with his setup, he managed to pull off what I thought was an excellent fighting withdrawal (at least, it was extremely frustrating to me!), and the game was in doubt until the last turn or so, when I rolled 5 snake-eyes. Pat rolled one too, but it didn't do much more than activate my sniper, which proceeded to pin a key part of his defensive line. Many thanks to Pat for a fun game and a lot of patience with my game-long good luck!

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Second Line league.

Roy Connelly (Poles) defeated Jim Bellini (German) in BFP-107 Costly Baptism.

Early deuce and late pin cost Jim in the end. Had a lot of fun and would definitely play Jim anytime in the future.

Thanks,
Roy

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the second line league, Lee Hyde-Sellars conceded at the start of Turn 3 in ASL 187 - Morgan's Stand.

Lee's Germans had some truly bad misfortune swing their way in turn 2, and he was not helped with the random entry order of his units for turns 1 & 2 (both were heavier on AFVs and light on infantry).

A few memorable moments:
  • I flamed his PzIV with a bazooka shot, and he responded by taking out my Sherman with his 150mm HE firing StuPzIV.
  • I broke a few of his squads earlier with good shooting from my 6-6-6 squads in the 1st level of the Z7 building and decided to try and deliver a killing blow early. I fired up the M10 GMC and moved it adjacent to the stack of 3 broken squads + a 7-0 leader, setting up a hopeful failure to rout decimation IF the M10 can survive. His 7-0 leader miraculously finds a PF (rolling a 1), and then proceeds to boxcar the TH roll, blowing up the leader in the process.
It was a pleasure playing with Lee, and I wish him the best of luck in the following rounds.

Alan

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
In the Second Line League Andy Riemer's Chinese successfully defended Marco Polo Bridge (BoF1) vs. B-J Karlsson's Japanese.
After many bloody H-t-H Melees, with buildungs changing hands multiple times, the higher numbers of te Chinese perservered, if only barely.