VASLeague 2018, general discussion

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roy Connelly and Jay Dragonetti will be playing J103 Lenin's Sons. I will have the Russians and the defense, and Jay will attack with the Germans.

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HOLLAND don vs KAPLEAU jonathan
We will be playing ASL 3 The Czerniakow Bridgehead With me as the poor Russian.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
US/Can West Central League Round 1
ROSNER david vs ZINSELMEYER robert
David (Germans) and myself (Belgians) will be playing FrF86 - Belgian Tigers.

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon Cole and I finished a game of BFP135 'No Shortage of Determination' with my Polish attacking and breaking through the lines of Jon's Germans for a victory. After playing, we both agree that Germans do need the balance of the extra atr.
Brian Wiersma

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy Beaton and I finished our round one battle in Norway, Triumph Atop Teraldsvikfjell, I had the Germans and some good luck at key moments. Berserk Legionaires in the snow...good game with an excellent opponent. Thanks for the good game Andy, really enjoyed it.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chuck Dye (Russian) and Paul Schaeffer (Romanian) will be playing FrF89 Red Tears Shed on Gray
in the North American East League.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Andy and I played ASL 131 The Penetration of Rostov. I played as the German attacker. Despite some really good IFT attacks against me, I made steady progress (while leaving behind quite a lot of dead German soldiers and broken halftracks). But I also managed to capture some Russians. The game was finally decided for my side when I got the commissar and an accompanying squad dashing across the street with a rolled 2 on a 2 neg 2 shot. Great game!

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HOLLAND don vs KAPLEAU jonathan (RESULT)
My Russians hung on to the last hex before the victory area and edged the Germans in The Czerniakow Bridgehead. :p
I wasn't sure until the last turn if I could scrap up enough Russians to block board 8. A long running fight.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HOLLAND don vs KAPLEAU jonathan (RESULT)
My Russians hung on to the last hex before the victory area and edged the Germans in The Czerniakow Bridgehead. :p
I wasn't sure until the last turn if I could scrap up enough Russians to block board 8. A long running fight.
Don was a most gracious opponent! Good luck to you in the rest of the tournament and I would be willing to play with you again anytime.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paolo and I are playing SP74, the last tiger where my last tiger is trying to hold off Paolo's hoardes. Thru Russian 3, a total of 3 Russian tanks are down as well as the Nashorn. Lots of drifting smoke on the board with a few turns to go. The infantry is awfully close to the objective area though.

Vic

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Lawrence Rohlfing and Steffen Knippel will be playing "Taking Some Flak" (J192).

Larry's Finns will be attempting to encircle my retreating Germans.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
US/Can West Central League Round 1
ROSNER david vs ZINSELMEYER robert
David (Germans) and myself (Belgians) will be playing FrF86 - Belgian Tigers.
Result: Robert Zinselmeyer's Belgians defeated David Rosner's Germans. During both sessions of our game, David's dice were cold and mine were warm to hot. The dice combined with some well placed and effective Firelanes and Residual FP denied easy access to and crossing of the bridge by the German force that setup east of the road on Board 23. Though the German 37L AT Gun took out both "Belgian Tigers" the German force was unable to gain control of the 5 buildings needed for victory.

Another good game against a strong and enjoyable opponent. Thanks for the game, David and I look forward to playing you again.

Bob

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
After about 7 years from the last time I'm again in '45 Vienna to play J1 Urban Guerrillas as Russian vs Chris Hofland
and my Russians were able to cut off the Germans in the Cathedral-side of the board. The pocket was so tight that they resigned at the end of game turn 3 after having lost 60% of infantry and one tank. The Russian Super sniper was almost silent (just a couple of Partisan HS arose from the sewers) but the Russian HMG, 9-2ed from Level Two, made a true massacre in Turn 1 paving the road for the Red Army!

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Yllanes and Jim Fardette played WO13 - All the Stops. David's Russian Shermans were smoke-making machines, aided by a cruel SE breeze that started on turn 1, but the SS rallied in the town, won a couple of melees and held on for a close-fought win. This is a fun scenario, and that rolling barrage is a mixed blessing. It does a great job of clearing out the woods, but it also blocks the Russian attack as they are forced to maneuver around the blast area. Good stuff and David is a fun opponent who I look forward to playing in Syracuse at some point.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lawrence Rohlfing and Steffen Knippel will be playing "Taking Some Flak" (J192).

Larry's Finns will be attempting to encircle my retreating Germans.
Larry's Finns did encircle the Germans.

ROAR had this 9-3 in favor of the Germans. I had the balance. I don't think it unbalanced at all. Just goes to show that some ROAR results are not entirely accurate of the scenario's true balance. Good scenario.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Larry's Finns did encircle the Germans.

ROAR had this 9-3 in favor of the Germans. I had the balance. I don't think it unbalanced at all. Just goes to show that some ROAR results are not entirely accurate of the scenario's true balance. Good scenario.
Larry was a fun opponent who made no real mistakes. My mistake was to think the Flak truck could roll lower than 10.
Good luck next round, sir. I look forward to our next match.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl Nogueira's Germans were able to defeat Ken Dunn's Russians in a playing of AP123, Busting in Balta. Ken was an enjoyable opponent and this was a fun playing.

DaveH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Haasl's Japanese held off Stewart King's Americans in WO16 Wildcat Strike. It went down to the final turn when a tank hunter hero managed to cap the M8 SPG to put the Americans over the cap. This was one of those fun crazy scenarios where the dice throw your carefully constructed plan out the window. My Japanese, outnumbered and outgunned by the Americans, were supposed to implement a stubborn fall-back defense. But Lt. Sulu (9-1 ldr) had other plans. He went beserk in the first turn, took his squad with him, and charged into a hex with 2.5 American squads surviving all Defensive fire (well mostly). Sure he died (along with the squad) but they took out 2 US squads too.

All and all - a very fun, very exciting scenario with a awesome opponent!

MrHonus

Honus
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Perham (Russian) defeated John Lehman (German) in MP12 A Worthy Adversary. 17 years in and I finally shot down a plane! And then I shot down another! Got in a dogfight! Thanks for a fun game, John.