VASLeague 2018, general discussion

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
If all goes according to plan and we can finish the game in one go,we might have a result as early as 6th January. If anyone wants to beat this, hurry up! :)
There's always the option to concede a game and post the result immediately.

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
Will Willow's Americans will take on Damon Norko's Japanese in ASL154 Orange at Walawbum.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Craig Houliston will take the defending French versus Aaron Cleavn's attacking Germans in FrF87 Mormal Forest. Am looking forward to a great match with Aaron.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Peter and I have finished our game and Peter crushed me....finished 4am Jan 1....

:hellyes: jk

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I´ve played SLL twice and I think I will not try a third time. IMHO problems with time zones and game skill are excesively important, and accordying to my experience you need lot of luck to enjoy the games you need to win to reach a higher level league.. I mean I have to consider games as profesional jobs to get a good result forgetting anything about the enjoyment of a good ASL game. Something I personally can´t afford because of the few number of games I will surely play next year.
I think an effort to get leagues with similar time_zones/game_skill even in SLL would be fantastic but I suppose is not posible or excesively complex to be considered a valid effort. ITOH I know perfectly the big effort done by Enrico to have this league on and so I´ve never commented anything about.. I mean he´s doing a fantastic unpayable job for those playing the big leagues consuming a lot of his family time. To know more and more players are entering SLL is surely doing this pre-selection more necessary.

I prefer by now trying to play good scenarios vs known players, specially if they´re interested in playing scenarios for future live tournaments.

Anyway, family and job keep me off the VASL arena by now.

Can this not be rectified with an online AREA ASL rating system? where you can access their RATING across all levels? There was a Ladder system years ago that used points and was actually fun. Unless you get the one guy who won't play you in fear of losing too many points...to a lesser ASLer.

Surely, someone out there can code a webpage for this? Just like Roar?
Or even tie it into Roar, basing the points gained on the difficulty of the game...i.e. playing the crappy (20% winrate) of a side yielding more potential points.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Peter and I have finished our game and Peter crushed me....finished 4am Jan 1....

:hellyes: jk
please let me know scenario and sides, then - as first player posting here in the forum the complete result - you win a free game vs the TD (scenario to decide)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Can this not be rectified with an online AREA ASL rating system? where you can access their RATING across all levels? There was a Ladder system years ago that used points and was actually fun. Unless you get the one guy who won't play you in fear of losing too many points...to a lesser ASLer.

Surely, someone out there can code a webpage for this? Just like Roar?
Or even tie it into Roar, basing the points gained on the difficulty of the game...i.e. playing the crappy (20% winrate) of a side yielding more potential points.

The problem is that even the ""perfect" rating system is useless if your goal is NOT rate player and limit the access to the superior level to the best skilled players, but instead is mostly avoid that inconstant/not motivated/not suited for VASL/ too busy to play live via internet people occupy spots just for being cancelled before the tournament ends. No rating system can predict the approach to VASLeague, just an entry level can give some informations: who is motivated enough to play and win four or five games against people of all kinds and levels in any time zone will probably be suited to reach the higher VASLeague levels.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
After about 7 years from the last time I'm again in '45 Vienna to play J1 Urban Guerrillas as Russian vs Chris Hofland

Damon

Reaction score
First name
Damon
Country
llUnited States
Will and I played this out on three straight evenings. It was see-saw at first, but my Japanese were able to get lucky with snipers and DC heroes and were able to take both hills on turn 6 for the win. Thanks to Will for a good game and I look forward to a potential rematch at WO!!

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Will and I played this out on three straight evenings. It was see-saw at first, but my Japanese were able to get lucky with snipers and DC heroes and were able to take both hills on turn 6 for the win. Thanks to Will for a good game and I look forward to a potential rematch at WO!!
"this" which one?

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
It was ASL154 Orange at Walawbum. Damon's Japanese won against my Americans.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
It was ASL154 Orange at Walawbum. Damon's Japanese won against my Americans.
well, as first player in 2018 to public here the full report of the game (opponents, sides, and result) you win a free play vs the TD. :cool:
if you agree I'll submit you a small group of scenarios from which you will pick one, deciding also the side.

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
well, as first player in 2018 to public here the full report of the game (opponents, sides, and result) you win a free play vs the TD. :cool:
if you agree I'll submit you a small group of scenarios from which you will pick one, deciding also the side.
To the winner goes the spoils so Damon is going to be your opponent. Feel free to avenge me. Thanks for running the league.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Ok, but the point of this new tradition is to give an incentive to post here and soon the full report of the game no matter who wins. I'll challenge Damon then, as first to post.

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Andy and I are playing ASL131 The Penetration of Rostov, with me as the German attacker. We are on turn 4, and the tension is rising.

RobTys

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've tried getting in touch with my opponent in the Second Line League, but so far, no reply. Just an FYI.

Pieter76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I'll be playing 188 Zon with the Wind against Luis Calcada in the Second Line League. Luis will be playing the Germans.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening

Al Kirkpatrick and I will be playing AP 131 "Crickets In Spring." Al will attack my Russian elements
of the 26th Army with his dastardly SS-Panzer Division 12 "Hitlerjugend. Looking forward to
trying to take out a few Pz VG's.

Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Damon Norko l and I finished a VASL game of FrF 87 Mormal Forest to begin the new tradition of the celebrating new season game between the TD and the first player to post his result here in the forum. Game went down to the last ad Fire PH phase. My Germans never got a success in CC/melee failings >5 times attacks at 2/1 or 3/1. At the end the German were still in the position to win but a 2 IFT attack (no DRM) pinned the 838 carrying the FT when he was just to burn the last defender of the last objective.
First time I play with Damon, an opponent I recommend if you want a relaxed game.