VASLeague 2018, general discussion

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Morning Fellow Berserkers!
Don "Big Noodle" Holland and I will play SP17 "Cross Of Lorraine." Dons' Germans
will be attacking my Americans hunkered down in Hatten. (excitedly waiting for
the Hatten HASL.)
cheers ya'll!
Pierce

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In Round 4 of the US/Canada West/Central League, Stewart King's Germans will be attacking Steffen Knippel's Americans in G26 "Parker's Crossroads." It's a big one.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ken Young will take the attacking Germans and I the defending Americans of Easy Company in RPT128 Hubba Hubba One More Time. Looking forward to a great match with Ken.

Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Francois B. and me will play the old WCW 5 Abandon Ship! He decided to take the Germans. So I will discover soon if the Paratroopers are that good how they say...

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Luca and I are playing BoF3 The Abbeville Bridgehead. I play the Germans and have to defend against the French and their invulnerable tanks. It's a really fun and tight game so far.

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a tense playing of ASL 1: Fighting Withdrawal, the Finns (David L.) eeked out a victory against a determined Soviet (Steve B.) defense. The Soviets struck a very good balance early on of putting up resistance and then backing away from the Finns' high firepower. Block after block, defense line after defense line was grudgingly ceded. And for awhile, the Finns seemed to find themselves always "just shy" of cracking the line. But at 3 turns to go, after some attrition and the Finns' overall momentum, the scene reached a desperate pitch for both sides. The Finns had finally pushed through the line, but how many were close enough to exit? There were still Soviets ahead and a couple of little "kessels" behind that could prove problematic depending on how they resolved.

Bold risk taking was called for by both sides. For the Finns, this meant getting on to the streets and hoofing it as hard as they could. The action focused on two routes heading south outta-Dodge. On the west-side route, where the largest number of Finns were concentrated in the street and trailing behind, a Soviet squad sought to shift position, but was scattered by a burst of Finn defensive fire shot from the hip, which left an exit path open, while a second Soviet squad found it too much to try to weave through the cemetery in an attempt to cut off the Finns--just too many trailing Finns who could put down some fire. On the east-side route, a Commissar and two squads forced one Finn squad to duck for cover while it was heading to the exit, but a leader and another squad kept on running. When the Commissar forced his men to rush down the street to get ahead of these remaining Finns, they were caught by a trailing squad, and could only watch as the other Finns disappeared ahead of them.

Wow, this was a close one! Steve played an excellent defense that left only a few Finns eligible to beat the clock to get off the board, and only if they ran down roads for three turns. They only issue was a couple of Soviet squads who just couldn't quite nail down their assignments. Great game!

Also, a big thank you to Steve for working with a major time difference and my work schedule, and for being a fun opponent. Best of luck in future contests!

David

Last edited:

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the East Coast League, Doyle Motes' Finns are taking on my Russians in 168, Forest Bastion. My 3 squads of HIP Russkies ambushed the Finnish left flank, catching them in the moving in the open. The net result was a broken LMG and cancelled fire lane, a squad and a half of dead Russkies, half a squad of Russian prisoners and the rest tied up in CC, in exchange for killing a half squad of Finns... as Trump might say, I am losing bigly. Still time to turn it around if my HMG can have a ROF party once the smoke clears, but that is a big if.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
In one of the most exciting games I've played in a while, I won as the German Defender in BoF3 The Abbeville Bridgehead against the attacking French played by Luca. In the last turn, my opponent had to get control of one more building to win. I threw a bunch of desperate halfsquads in his way to block the direct approach, so he had to make quite a detour. And when he started to run, I managed to PIN his 9-2 leader, so that he couldn't get there in time. A great game!

ppalma3010

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff Buser and I matched ‘wits’ with the scenario BtB11 Bosq Barbecue............Jeff was the defending Germans as I attacked with the Brits. It was a very fun scenario for both sides.I was able to come away as the victor, but in all reality this could have went either way, and probably should have been a victory for Jeff.

The game came down to the last turn with the Brits still needing control of two buildings, and actually came down to a final close combat roll ( 6-1 odds in my favor, but I was on a roll with those boxcars so anything was possible ). The ‘big mo’ changed hands often and it was really a back and forth tussle. Jeff was a wonderful opponent, .......................................... Thanks for the game.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andrea Pagini and I finished our playing of RPT26 A Cross In Gold today. My German Infantry shot the lights out, averaging 6.17 over 59 rolls, which is to put it mildly, a bit to overcome. My armor was putrid, and his armor finished the game unscathed, but his infantry had suffered to the point that he was not going to get enough across. A good game and a good scenario. I would recommend it.

jeffwinto

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
RIch Domivic and Jeff Wasserman completed our play of VotG14 Pavlov's House. Rich is my favourite ASL opponent and as usual was the perfect ASL Gentleman.

The scenario was a success for my attacking Germans mostly due to Pavlov's failure of multiple moral checks that resulted in his elimination. Highlights included finding the HIP AT gun on the first shot at 20+4 resulting in a casualty moral check that eliminated the crew, an STG that eliminated 2 wire counters in a single turn, a snake eyes CC result vs a berserk Soviet and the elimination in hand to hand combat of a Soviet squad that was attacked at 3:1 -3 HTH by ambush. Rich's sniper was no where to be found despite a SAN number of six (which I rolled multiple times).

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening
Game report for SLL. My Americans held off Don Hollands Germans for a victory in our playing of
SP 17 "Cross Of Lorraine." Nail-biter of a game. One of those games where just when you think you have
the upper-hand, the game flows back in favor of your opponent. Victory came down to two CC's in the final
turn. Don needed to win both CC's. First CC resulted in a Melee and sealed the victory for my Americans.
Great match against a very worthy opponent. A side note, Don and I are playing through all the SP scenarios
and of course we decided on SP 17. Good luck to Don in the next round.
Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Enrico

Al NIkilov and I just finished our round.

Al was the Russian in ASL 1 Fighting Withdrawal

My Finns rolled extremely well (particularly in the last turn) and Al's Russian were forced to concede by the second last turn

Thank you Al for the great game

Cheers

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Enrico,
Roy Connelly and Jonathan Kapleau played A59 Death At Carentan. In the end, Jonathan's Americans were able to hold out against Roy's Germans by the narrowest of margins. A very enjoyable, and close, game. Thanks to Roy for being a great opponent.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Hello,
Jay Dragonetti and Lionel Colin played J100 A few more rounds. My Americans were able to take the village against Jay's Germans strong resistance. A very enjoyable, and close, game (I lost 3 Shermans ending not far from the CVP cap). Thanks to Jay for a great game (despite various skype / internet problems !)

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rob Loper's axis troops were able to hold out and defeat Pablo Antonio Garcia Silva'a Russians in J168 Katyusha's Embrace. Last turn heroic's by the Romanian troops destroyed a SU76 giving them the win.

Rob

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi
A round 4 game result in the top VASL League

Jon Cole (Germans) defeated Robert Feinstein (Russians) in our playing of FrF4 "Barbarossa D-Day"

A fun scenario to play, with both Rob and I having swings of good and bad DRs.

Thanks for the game, Rob

Cheers
Jon

KenYoung

ASLKWAD
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ken Young's Germans won the day over Craig Houliston Americans in RPT128 Hubba Hubba One More Time.

In a game that saw great and horrible DRs for both sides, from start to finish. This contest came down to the last CCPh to find out who won.

It started with a sniper removing my 8-1 (a third of my leadership lost and it is only turn 1). Soon followed by a burning tank. Hit by a BAZ from a building covered in Smoke (needed and rolled a 3 TH).

Two half squads broke and surrendered to a 747. In the AFPh/CCPh 2 more half squads attempted to rescue their country men (one 247 died that turn in the attempt). Now there is a Melee in the hex and the POW can join the CC. But before the next CC, a sniper breaks the last 247 in the hex. The next CCPh, 2x 347 each guarding a 0-0-1 (hs) against the 2 escaping POW and a broken 247. The first escape CC DR (1-4 odds), snakes! 347 removed, 236 and 8-1 added (A18.2 -1 German, -2 CC odds, +1 moral 6). The other POW dies (but is not double CVP) and the broken 247 leaves the hex. This Melee will continue till turn 5. When the broken 247 self rallies and returns to help kill the 347.

His turn 3 reinforcements arrive. A CXed 247 fires at a 8-1, 747, 747+MMG stack, moving behind an orchard. 2+1 attack, IFT DR 3 = 1MC. Result Pinned 8-1, 747 break, 747+MMG break (+fate). A follow up attack by another unit, caused the 747 and 347 to both double break.

At one point, I miss counted the CVP and almost conceded the game (counted my infantry CVP as double what they really added to). This gave me the wiggle room to risk my last AFV. My BU STG III moved to VBM freeze a 9-1, 347+MMG. Yes, he passed his PAATC and rolled enough to immobilize it. In the APh I unbuttoned the AFV and moved in a 468 and 2x 248s. In CC he attacked the AFV again (he attacked first because there was an AFV in the hex). The DRM for the 3 covering infantry units saved me. My inf CC netted nothing but the CE STG with the AAMG scored a CR (he doubled the RS), Melee over. For the remainder of the game the STG was a magnet for CC. Another 246 entered into CC and rolled low enough to immobilize it again (and died for his efforts).
US turn 6 (last turn). PFPh, 8-1, 347 +MMG went on a tear (ROF 3 times) and broke the 8-1, 468+(US)MMG, 248 in the hex with the STG. APh, the only thing that could advance into the STG's hex (now without infantry support) is a lone 7-0. CC, if he kills the AFV, I hit the cap and lose, any other result and I win. German WIN!
Other big things also happened (like what happened to his 9-2), but I took up to much of your time already. If you get the chance play this scenario, it was fun (as was my opponent).

Craig, thanks for the game and enjoy your next round (but you do not need any more good luck).

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ken, it was a hoot of a match. Thank you. It ebbed and flowed and your AAR tells it perfectly. As weakened as the Americans were the chance for a win in the last CC phase was pretty amazing in itself. The leader had a 2-2 on the CC, which if I would have won it, would have broken the German CVP cap. An absolutely wonderful game of ASL.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
round 4 is going to end for the TOP VASLeague and the Second Line League. The other regional leagues, having only 4 rounds, have as deadline the end of October so, they still have plenty of time.
Please TOP and Second Line leaguers, report your results if not done yet.
thanks