VASLeague 2017, general discussion

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
please remove me from your vasl league list. I have no interest in playing ASL at this time.

ChuckD

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roberto Alesse (Italians) and Chuck Dye (Greeks) have started HG2 Konitsa Crackdown.

MrHonus

Honus
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perham (UK) defeated Killeen (Japanese) in AP91 Parting Shots. The first two turns the British could do nothing to stop the Japanese Hordes, but subsequent to that the British had at least 4 or five defensive fire snake-eyes, that is going to spoil your day. A highlight was the P.O.W. Half Squad that escaped from his Burmese 7-0 Guard and killed him in CC. The Japanese had a Berserker who had to head away from the battle to kill a straggler, that helped. Thanks for the game K.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andrea Pagni's Germans defeated Rich Domovic's Russians in Z19 - The Trap at Targul Frumos.

Started badly for my Russians as two T85s fell into the cellar on turn one in my ambitious attempt to surround and eliminate the German 9-2 stack. After a sniper recalled an SU-85, the sky dimmed. Andrea revived my chances by malfing both the 75L AT and the 50L AT guns and failing to kill my T85s on about six hits or so with his Stugs, which then both perished for their ineptness.

The German 9-2 was a real loser, breaking twice, but he did a Houdini-like escape to the back 3R6 building to rally and keep this vital building in German hands, so ended up a hero (with a desk job in Hamburg no doubt)

I captured all the other VC buildings, but a few German CC snakes made the cost too expensive. The German reinforcing monolith raced onto the board from the South edge. their Panther and Tiger wiped out a T85 and SU-122 with single BFF shots. That left my seven Russian remaining squads, T85 and SU122 vastly outnumbered and my lads threw in the towel for an extended vacation in a labor camp.

Enjoyed playing Andrea as always.

Rich

KenYoung

ASLKWAD
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ken Young’s Germans stood victorious over Michael Klautky’s Americans in AP100 Coal in Their Stockings.

Michael preformed a text book VBM freeze. Which should have won him the game on turn 1. But he followed up the great move with far above average DRs. In the AFPh a 12+1 and a 16+1 achieved not even a Pin. In the CCPh both CC Hexes resulted in two ambushes, allowing the German infantry to withdrawal without a scratch. The Americans, suffered badly from very low German DRs. PF, ATMM, 81 mm MTR (with endless ROF) and a HE Intensive Fire Critical Hit from a Ht. Resulted in the removal of a jeep (2 FP), a burning M8 AC, a Wrecked Stuart, a Wrecked Ht (MMG 12 FP), 7-0 KIA and 2 broken 666. The German’s only real bad luck was a 247 which rolled Boxes on FPF vs. a CX 666 running in the open.

Thanks for the game Michael, better luck next round.

DaveH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave Haasl's plucky Slovaks were victorious over Doyle Motes' stubborn German defenders in J191 (Rebels Without a Pause). It was a tight game that came down to the final rout phase. Good job Pete Shelling on the design - it was a very entertaining situation. And thank you, Doyle, for being an able and fun opponent!
David

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ken Dunn (Axis - Germans) defeated Patrick Palma (Allies - British) in J32 Panzer Graveyard. Fun scenario. Very tight quarters. Game ended in the bottom of the 5th as I got a pretty fair run of good luck. Thank you Patrick for the thoroughly enjoyable game.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jack Boyle's defending Poles defeated David Langer's attacking Germans in ASL 84, Round One. I defended pretty far upfront, and managed to snag quite a few of his tin cans before being pushed back. Two intrepid Polish halfsquads and a crew managed to take out his entire left flank with a spectacular series of 2s and 3s, which allowed me to condense my forces to face his main push in the center. Although the Polish forces are fairly brittle, there were now a lot of them in a small space, and David didn't have the time to drive them back before I managed to hunt down enough little Panzer Is and IIs to give me the victory on CVP.

Thanks to David for his patience in getting diced, and through a very long stretch where we tried with little success to figure out how gusts interact with wreck blazes.

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jack Boyle's defending Poles defeated David Langer's attacking Germans in ASL 84, Round One. I defended pretty far upfront, and managed to snag quite a few of his tin cans before being pushed back. Two intrepid Polish halfsquads and a crew managed to take out his entire left flank with a spectacular series of 2s and 3s, which allowed me to condense my forces to face his main push in the center. Although the Polish forces are fairly brittle, there were now a lot of them in a small space, and David didn't have the time to drive them back before I managed to hunt down enough little Panzer Is and IIs to give me the victory on CVP.

Thanks to David for his patience in getting diced, and through a very long stretch where we tried with little success to figure out how gusts interact with wreck blazes.
Kudos to Jack for a solid defense that kept my Germans hard pressed the whole way through. Round One is a tough nut for the Germans to crack! Good game and a great opponent.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Ed Beekman and I are three turns into BFP114 Engineering Defeat. Ed's Poles have pulled back to the VC buildings and Polish reinforcements are imminent. All to play for!

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry Rohlfing had the Finns (with the balance of two squads turned green) against Brian Routh's Russians in Lagus Assault Guns (174).

The hero had the PSK and took out two of the Russian tanks to carry the day for the Finns.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
give that hero the Finnish Midnight Sun medal!

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jason Wert and Mike Augustine are going to play Belgian Blitzkrieg (J182). Because ROAR has it heavily pro-German, the Belgians will get the scenario balance. We diced for sides, and Mike will have the Belgians, and Jason will have the Germans
Mike's Belgians got the win by the narrowest of margins. It came down to a last turn Melee. The Germans needed to roll 6 or less to wipe out my defending infantry to take control of the 2nd building (it did not matter what I rolled since the Germans had all the other locations). The Germans rolled boxcars! Jason is a great opponent, and I think if the Belgians didn't have the balance, I would not have done so well.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Craig Houliston's attacking Russians narrowly defeated John Lehman's Axis in J168 Katyusha's Embrace. We both really liked this scenario and recommend it highly. It was a fun and exciting game the whole way. His 76L was a beast and he was able to destroy 4/5 of my armor with another tank forgetting the MA repair box back at camp. Only the final couple DR's decided the outcome. John is a skilled ASLer and a pleasure to play. We plan to connect for another scenario in a few months. I wish John the best of luck in his future rounds.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Ed Beekman and I are three turns into BFP114 Engineering Defeat. Ed's Poles have pulled back to the VC buildings and Polish reinforcements are imminent. All to play for!
My Germans narrowly defeated Ed's Poles in a nailbiter of a finish. Great game, great opponent!

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andy Goldin's Russians made a tough fight of After the Disaster, but the German tanks got hot at the end and closed in for the kill. Sensing defeat and with no troops to lead, the Russian 9-2 advanced upstairs to bayonet the 8-0 who had killed off his last soldiers for failure to rout. Three German 4-6-8s and their own 9-2 avenged this atrocity on the final turn, with a solid 13-1 down 2 CC attack. Andy is a fun opponent who made no complaints when the dice turned against him. Look forward to a rematch some day.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evening ya'll!

Rob's Russians held off my Polish forces for a Russian win in our playing of BFP 140 "Iron Greeting."
Game went down to the last turn. Always a pleasure to play Rob and good luck in the next round.

Cheers!
Pierce

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
My Polish defeated Ryan Voznic's Russina in Cocktails for Molotov
In one crazy game finale that ASL sometimes gives us; Ryan switched from almost accomplished victory to utter defeat.
In this scenario the russian wins at any game turn end if there are two good order russian squad in one particular building.
Ryan had 2 squads and a Commisar and a bypassing AFV in the building in the same building there were 1 and 1/2 polish squad and a 9-1 leader, his forces resisted my puny return fire but failed to break my green forces.
I could have advanced in CC and if both of his squds could pass the phase in good order in was game over.
Then disaster struck in the form of a sniper that broke one of his squad, in the subsequent advance and CC Ryan lost both his remaing good order squad and his AFV, with the plus of having my ambushing HS withdrawed from CC and DMing one of his broken squads and Ryan conceded.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl Nogueira's Germans were able to defeat Aaron Cleavin's Russians in a playing of J188, Grab and Go. We only got in a couple of turns, but things were going down hill fast for the Russians and looked grim. To be sure, this one is off the "play for kidneys" list. Especially as the Russian.