VASLeague 2017, general discussion

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evening,
Jeff Buser and I will be playing AP 59 "Taking Heads." My IJA will attack Jeff's Americans.

Cheers ya'll!
Pierce Mason

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
well, one game has been already adjudicated. No need of judgement since facts were obvious.
The other is more complicated, I'm waiting both players prepare their written defensive thesis.
now the case is under judgement. Hopefully we'll move on the second round very soon.
A crew of three judges will decide the result. all details later

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Site updated
www.vasleague.org

about the judgement delaying the end of Round 1:
many thanks to the judges Carl Nogueira, Jim Taylor and Martin Vicca.

The problem was about the application of the famous rule A2 for an illegal move. The iussue was not about the move itself (clearly illegal) and was not about the rule A2 or its mechanic, but was about the fact the A2 is applicable or not in the said case

All problems come from a difficult skipe communication among players (of different language), from the fact that the game has not been stopped to check the rule or to ask help, from the hurry to close the scenario by the deadline, and from the slowness of one of the players to give the clarifications requested and due to the TD.

Among the multiple and bizzarre ways an iussue during an ASL scenario can arise, this wins the gold medal for odness

Last edited:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Round 2

here are the pairings for all Leagues

Top VASLeague

NOGUEIRA carl vs DOMOVIC rich
LOPER robert vs PAGNI andrea
COLE jon vs YOUNG Kenneth
WIERSMA brian vs KLAUTKY mike
MAZZEI chris vs CLEAVIN aaron
CATANZARO enrico vs BEEKMAN edward
BAYS john vs CORRIGAN eoin
CHAMBERLAND paul vs GARCIA SILVA pablo
ROUNDHILL brian vs HAMMOND charles
ROSSO vic vs PERHAM dave
BOUDRENGHIEN françois vs KILLEEN kevin
KOESTLER alex vs WASSERMAN jeff
LUNDY darryl vs TINTURE laurent
CARIOLATO paolo vs LAUGER paul
VOZNIC ryan vs FEINSTEIN robert

European Oceanian League

HOFLAND chris vs JENSEN lars peder
TOZE santos vs STAPF nathan
MARTINEZ juanjo vs PENABELLA santiago
CONFORTI leonardo vs FLEMING will
CORIASCO sandro vs HANNA marc
CABRÉ marti vs KENT ivan

East US/Can League

PALMA patrick vs CHAPMAN chris
WERT jason vs SCHAEFFER paul
LANGER david vs TAYLOR jim
NORKO damon vs DUNN ken
WILLOW will vs TRAVER jim
BOYLE jack vs FORTIN jean francois
AUGUSTINE mike vs HOLST scott
YLLANES david vs WATSON mark

West Central US/Can League

KUMMETH bob vs ROUTH brian
ROHLFING larry vs MOTES doyle
KNIPPEL steffen vs HOULISTON craig
LEHMAN john vs BURNETTE jason
CUMMINGS steve vs ROSNER david
ZINSELMEYER robert vs HAASL david

Second Line League

VICCA martin vs CALTABIANO Sebastiano
GOLDIN andrew vs OLER robert
HARVIALA mika vs KIRKPATRICK albert
BUSER jeff vs MASON pierce
MARTINI luca vs SHILLING curt
ARRIETA rob vs CHILDS bruce
ALESSE roberto vs GRIFFA alberto
DYE charles vs GUERRERO Miguel
DELAURA norman vs ISELLA stefano
LORENZEN bjoern vs MORO joe
DEISSLER tobias vs ORRIT pau
DEMPSEY jack vs FARDETTE james
GARVIN david vs BOCK john
KING stewart vs ACETO mario
RIMWALL magnus vs WEISS raymond
BEATON andy vs TEWKSBURY chuck
SHERER scott vs KOCK kris
TROUT chris vs DRAGONETTI jay
EURY bob vs SOUKUP daniel
KEHRER jordan vs DUMMY player

Round 2 ends on 30th April 2017

in the attachment Round 1 Results

Attachments

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
With Paul Chamberland we will fight over the Heart of Athena. I will be the defending commie partisans, throwing explosive-laden tramcars at the British Shermans.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Craig Houliston's elite Germans will defend against Steffen Knippel's hard-charging Allied attackers in J167 Hart Attack. Looking forward to an awesome game with Steffen!

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott Holst and Mike Augustine are playing DB130 Tigers and Flames. Scott has the Tigers (Germans) and I have the Flames (Russians)

jwert02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Schaeffer and Jason Wert will be playing J165 Among the Dead with Jason attacking as the Gerbirgsjagers. Let see if we can get past the Greeks and Kiwis.

mharviala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Al Kirkpatrick and me finished our game of SP255 Anatoly's Ambush today. It started off innocuously enough with Al's Russians waiting patiently for my Germans to advance, and then Al's defense was undone by his troops impatience to get to grips with the Germans. The dice dismantled Al's careful defense, with Anatoly himself rolling boxcars on his first shot of the game breaking the MA, and then two squads rolling snakes on MCs, followed by going berserk. Going CC against a tank with 8FP in CMG is brutal.

We went till turn 5, after which Al conceded as I exited my second tank, and still had all but one squad of my infantry in good order (I'd personally executed that one squad for daring to break in 1941) with two of three VC buildings in my control.

- M

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damon Norko (Axis) and Ken Dunn (Allies) played J193 Raff's Rules. It was an Allied win on VPs. I appreciated being able to play Damon and enjoyed the game!

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Schaeffer and Jason Wert will be playing J165 Among the Dead with Jason attacking as the Gerbirgsjagers. Let see if we can get past the Greeks and Kiwis.
Alas, it was not to be.
The Kiwis were victorious as the early carnage inflicted on the Germans as they stormed the hill proved too much to overcome. The Germans faded away leaving the Greeks unmolested in the town center.
Jason was a fine opponent and we had a great game.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vic Rosso and Dave Perham played FrF60, a war of their own, were I was defending with the Russians vs. Dave's IJA attack. This one was a Russian win which was a little lop sided as my luck was running quite hot and Dave's was running a bit cold. Dave was a gracious opponent to play and wish him the best of luck in future matches.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl Nogueira and Rich Domovic will play J183 - A Real Barn Burner from the new Journal.

Carl will be the French and I, the Germans.

Rich

Reactions: ecz

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JimFardette's Russians were able to heroically run away from Jack Dempsey's (AKA Steve) Finns when they stopped to warm their hands by the fires in Fighting Withdrawal. Russian sniper with a 7 activation number did not fire a shot the whole game!

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
good evening!
Want to report that Jeff Busers Philipino Americans defeated my IJA in our playing of AP 59 "Taking Heads."
Jeff and I both agreed that the game was leaning towards the IJA side and then the IJA leaders started to
do what IJA leaders do .. wound and die. Made a rookie mistake (at my age had a senior citizen moment)
and didn't double check my OOB before starting. Shorted myself two mortars. IJA need all the Smoke/WP
they can get to make it across fire-laned roads. Still made a game of it though. Fun scenario and would play again as either side. Good luck
to Jeff in the next round 3.
Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

DaveH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Zinselmeyer and I have just finished our playing of J183 - A Real Barn Burner. I had the audacious French and Robert took the Germans. The scenario lived up to its name and involved lots of attempted crossings of open ground under fire. Despite Robert's best efforts my French got a 3rd company squad into the board 43 compound in time for the win. Robert was a great opponent and maybe our cardboard swords will cross again in the future!
David Haasl

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott Holst and Mike Augustine are playing DB130 Tigers and Flames. Scott has the Tigers (Germans) and I have the Flames (Russians)
Mike's Russians win DB130. The Russians were greatly helped in the last turns with a large number of low DRs, while conversely the Germans having a high DR average. As usual, Scott is a great player with a great depth of rules knowledge.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mike for a great game. Once more I picked a really horribly unbalanced scenario and it cost me the game. I really wish designers would put more time into playtesting their monstrosity's before releasing it to the public. Or at least make the damn scenarios less scripted IE let the players decide who sets up front and so on.

scott

Mike's Russians win DB130. The Russians were greatly helped in the last turns with a large number of low DRs, while conversely the Germans having a high DR average. As usual, Scott is a great player with a great depth of rules knowledge.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Pau and I have started ASL 195 Rocket's Red Glare. I play the American attacker - and have already lost the MA of my M36B1. :mad::cool:

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Zinselmeyer and I have just finished our playing of J183 - A Real Barn Burner. I had the audacious French and Robert took the Germans. The scenario lived up to its name and involved lots of attempted crossings of open ground under fire. Despite Robert's best efforts my French got a 3rd company squad into the board 43 compound in time for the win. Robert was a great opponent and maybe our cardboard swords will cross again in the future!
David Haasl
Thanks, Dave. I enjoyed the match very much and agree that there is a lot of action packed into this small scenario. My plan to get a platoon of Germans into the east side of the Board 43 compound failed on Turn 1 with Dave's HS fanatics CR and/or breaking a couple squads. By the time they rallied and forced the issue with the French in the compound, they were not in position to interdict the 3rd Company relief force. Good luck to Dave, a fun and skilled opponent in the remainder of the league and I, too, look forward to the opportunity to play again.

Last edited: