VASLeague 2014 General Discussion

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Bishop defeated Scott Holst in Hitdorf on the Rhine on turn 6. The German commander (me) had his head up his ass the whole game by making bonehead moves and mistakes. Well played game Jim.

Scott

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Enrico, sorry if I am being dense, but what does Bhz, WBhz and 1L in your league sheets mean?
Houlie
they are the tiebreakers.
Caesar, the software Fredkors have created, comes with three different tiebreakers for each TD's need.

Bhz = Buholz = the number of points all your opponents have scored (the more the better) = a tiebreaker used in Chess for tournaments using the same Swiss/style adopted for VASLeague.

WBhz = Winged Buholz = the number of points your opponents have scored discarding the higher and the lower result (i.e. discardings the "wings"); again the more the better.

1L = round number in which the player gets his first loss. The higher the better.

TDs may have their preferences, thus Caesar have more options.

VASLeague in its first years used the 1L tiebreaker (taken from the ASO tournament I have copied in many aspects), but I changed to the WBhz - as per current tournament rules - a few years ago because we found is a system less luck-dependent. Discarding the highest and the lowest result from the Buholz number allows a fair result that avoids that people that had a bye is penalized how it happens with the unmodified Buholz.

hope it helps!

Last edited:

ChuckD

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the Eastern Minor League Mark Watson will be playing the Italians vs Chuck Dye's Russians in J130 "The Art of Dying"

FanaticTW

World Famous in Maine
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ted Wilcox and Paul Schaeffer played AP22 Ghost Riders.

Paul played the Russians. I played the Italians/ Germans… Paul held out for the win

A Great scenario! well played Paul!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Craig Houliston will take the defending French against Sandro Arlandir's attacking Germans in ASL77 Le Herrison. I have wanted to play this for a long time, but it seemed everyone I asked had played it.

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In US/NA East Rick Carter's Russians Defeated Will Willow's Germans in ESG 32 Steel, Steel, Steel! Tense fight up until the end. Lot's of malf's and recalls on Will's side though.
Thanks for the game Will and good luck in next round

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Andy Beaton's Russians will be attacking Jean-Francois Fortin's Germans in SP74 - The Last Tiger

Stagehand99

Recruit
Reaction score
In a Canada/US Central/West match-up, my German defenders held off David Rosner's yanks in KE14 Another Day, Another Field. I was sure I hadn't done enough damage in the last turn DFPh, but the game came down to the very last CC DR and a failed attempt to capture the German ATG crew, leaving David 2VP short.

Getting through this scenario required passing several personal MCs, and I nearly gave up half way through. I'm glad I stuck it out.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Chris Hofland and Peter Palmer will be playing J140 All down the Line, with Chris taking on the command of Major John Pott's Paras as they attempt to punch along the Dreyenseweg to reach Major Pott's brother in law, John Frost of 2nd Battalion. Peter Palmer will be trying desperately to prevent this as the Allworden detachment, with a lovely new furniture van at his disposal.

Chris (Brits) attacking vs Peter (Germans) defending.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DB 117 as the Russians. Killeen was the attacking Germans by choice. Russian win as Germans threw in the towel after
the King Tiger UK'ed (rolled a 12 on the p. shock also) and the IIIL was KO'ed by an APCR round. No infantry nor HT casualties
after playing THREE full turns.

ppalma3010

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the East League, Patrick Palma’s Germans were able to defend Ken Dunn’s Americans from exiting on the final turn of J88 Escape to Blitz.

It was a rather close game throughout , especially on the last two turns, as Ken had a well played game plan , especially in the face of how difficult it is for the Americans in this scenario. Just a very tough game for the attacker, it seems.

Thanks for the game , and the good conversation.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin Hicks and Mike Augustine in the East League are playing RPT25 Cornwall's Rum Ration. I have the Brits and Martin has the Germans.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin Hicks and Mike Augustine in the East League are playing RPT25 Cornwall's Rum Ration. I have the Brits and Martin has the Germans.
Mike's Brits won against Martin's Germans. Martin's dice hated him. In his first attack turn, my Def Fire got plenty of MC/TC, and his MC and TC rolls were consistently above 9. One of his few good MC rolls rewarded him with a sniper that found his only CE StuG. My ATG took out another. His 8-1 leader rolls a 12 on a morale check, followed by a 6. And he didn't fair much better on the bottom half of Turn 1, which saw almost all his infantry broken (and refusing to rally). With the woods essentially splitting and isolating his surviving armor from his broken infantry, he conceded mid-game. Martin is a good player that deserved better rolls.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Brackin as the Russians defeated Rob Arritta as the Germans in Tolstoy Woods. This came down to the last CCPh where the Germans were unable to get Ambush while concealed. The Russians held 6 buildings with CC's in two of them.

Rob gave a real good game and was fun to play. Thanks,

Jim B

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich Domovic's Japanese defeated Jon Cole's Indians in SP126 - Malignant Mahrattas.

Good scenario, enjoyable fast paced playing. A well-aimed Jpn 2 plus 1 shot and two Indian failed "9" rally attempts broke it open for my Imperial troops.

Rich

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A well-aimed Jpn 2 plus 1 shot and two Indian failed "9" rally attempts broke it open for my Imperial troops.
That, and Rich's well constructed attack had something to do with it as well :)

A good scenario, I'd happily give it another playing as either side

Cheers
Jon

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl Nogueira and Dan Cunningham are playing BB10, Buckeye Blitzkrieg. I have the Americans and Dan the Japanese.