VASL6.6.6 is officially released

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The ability to set "Mark pieces Moved" has gone from the preferences.

Was this a choice or an accident?
Don't know.

It is gone. I see it in 6.6.4 but not in 6.6.5.1. I can't yet find how it got removed so I can't ascribe causality. Will keep looking (and will put it back in 6.6.7).

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
@turlusiflu do the comments and rolls appear if you enable the "Use images for dice rolls" preference as I mentioned in my posts above?
There is a bug in 6.6.6 with respect to text displaying in the chat window.

If you have Use Dice Images checked then text messages (both from VASL and the user) will appear as normal and properly formatted. If you don't have Use Dice Images checked then they won't. There is a bug in the html strings we use to display the text when dice images are not used.

We can fix this for 6.6.7 but for now I suggest ensuring that the Use Dice Images option is selected - see the Chat tab in preferences.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The ability to set "Mark pieces Moved" has gone from the preferences.

Was this a choice or an accident?
Done a little bit testing

VASL6.6.4 and VASSAL3.6.7 preference is present under general tab
VASL6.6.6 and VASSAL3.6.7 preference is present under general tab

VASL6.6.4 and VASSAL3.6.14 preference is gone
VASL6.6.6 and VASSAL3.6.14 preference is gone

This suggests to me that VASSAL somehow removed the preference between 3.6.7 and 3.6.14. I will do more testing and check with them.

I can find nothing yet in VASL that would account for the change.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Done a little bit testing

VASL6.6.4 and VASSAL3.6.7 preference is present under general tab
VASL6.6.6 and VASSAL3.6.7 preference is present under general tab

VASL6.6.4 and VASSAL3.6.14 preference is gone
VASL6.6.6 and VASSAL3.6.14 preference is gone

This suggests to me that VASSAL somehow removed the preference between 3.6.7 and 3.6.14. I will do more testing and check with them.

I can find nothing yet in VASL that would account for the change.
On a vaguely related note there are preferences for the Wizard both under the VASL preferences and the VASSAL preferences. The ones under VASL seem to be ignored. This frustrated me greatly when I first started using VASL in the past year. "Why the heck is it still giving me the dang Wizard after I disabled it!!!??!?" Eventually I tracked down there was also a control in the VASSAL preferences and once I disabled the Wizard there things acted as I expected.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On a vaguely related note there are preferences for the Wizard both under the VASL preferences and the VASSAL preferences. The ones under VASL seem to be ignored. This frustrated me greatly when I first started using VASL in the past year. "Why the heck is it still giving me the dang Wizard after I disabled it!!!??!?" Eventually I tracked down there was also a control in the VASSAL preferences and once I disabled the Wizard there things acted as I expected.
Thanks for this. I appreciate you taking the time to point something out. Close but not quite right.

The text beside the checkbox on the Wizard screen says "Uncheck and click Cancel to skip these questions". You must literally do as it says. Uncheck the checkbox and then click the Cancel button. Not the Next button or the Finish button but the Cancel button. Then it works. It is a bit counter intuitive I would agree.

Doing this clears the preference on the general tab which are the VASSAL Preferences. This checkbox is needed to make the Startup Questions re-appear on the Wizard. There is no other way to do so.

There is no preference for any of this "under the VASL preferences". I think you were thinking of the checkbox on the Wizard.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for this. I appreciate you taking the time to point something out. Close but not quite right.

The text beside the checkbox on the Wizard screen says "Uncheck and click Cancel to skip these questions". You must literally do as it says. Uncheck the checkbox and then click the Cancel button. Not the Next button or the Finish button but the Cancel button. Then it works. It is a bit counter intuitive I would agree.

Doing this clears the preference on the general tab which are the VASSAL Preferences. This checkbox is needed to make the Startup Questions re-appear on the Wizard. There is no other way to do so.

There is no preference for any of this "under the VASL preferences". I think you were thinking of the checkbox on the Wizard.
Hi Doug, thanks for following up.

Mine is not behaving like you describe. First the preference control exists in both places on my system.

MacOS 12.6.1, VASSAL 3.6.7 and VASL 6.6.5:

VASSAL Preferences with the control you expect:

VASL Preferences also has the control:

As you can see Ask "Wizard" questions at startup appears in both sets of preferences. I kept interacting with the one in VASL with no effect at all. One I cleared the checkbox in VASSAL preferences the Wizard went away.

The issue here also is that the check box in the Wizard itself (uncheck and click Cancel) just ends up clearing the VASL preference, it does nothing to the VASSAL preference at all. As a result one can follow the instructions in the Wizard as you describe by unchecking and clicking cancel but the Wizard will still show up the next time because it ends up clearing the useless VASL preference rather than the VASSAL preference that actually works. I had to manually find the VASSAL preference and uncheck it to get the Wizard to go away and it took me months to realize this because the erroneous VASL preference was distracting me just as it appears to be distracting the Wizard itself...

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Firstly, we have a vocabulary problem which your images make clear.

What you call the VASL preferences (those under the General tab), I call the VASSAL preferences because they are created by and managed by the VASSAL code and are independent of the VASL module.

What you call the VASSAL preferences (those available from the File menu on the VASSAL window before opening the VASL module), I don't call anything because I have never used that way to access them in my life. I load the VASL module and then open preferences so I have access to the full range of preferences.

What I call the VASL preferences (those under the VASL tab of Preferences once the VASL module is started), apply only to the VASL module. I point them out to you in case you haven't been using them, but they have no impact on the Wizard issue.

All that just so we are talking about the same things.

At present, I cannot replicate the problem you are having. I work on Windows and sometimes VASSAL/VASL behave differently for MAC users. So there's that.

When I clear the checkbox on the Wizard screen and then click the Cancel button, it does change the preference in the General tab of the preferences. And the next time I start VASL I don't get the Wizard. That is the behaviour that you want. I don't know why it is not working for you. Maybe some other MAC users can test this on their system and see if they get the same results as you do?

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Firstly, we have a vocabulary problem which your images make clear.

What you call the VASL preferences (those under the General tab), I call the VASSAL preferences because they are created by and managed by the VASSAL code and are independent of the VASL module.

What you call the VASSAL preferences (those available from the File menu on the VASSAL window before opening the VASL module), I don't call anything because I have never used that way to access them in my life. I load the VASL module and then open preferences so I have access to the full range of preferences.

What I call the VASL preferences (those under the VASL tab of Preferences once the VASL module is started), apply only to the VASL module. I point them out to you in case you haven't been using them, but they have no impact on the Wizard issue.

All that just so we are talking about the same things.

At present, I cannot replicate the problem you are having. I work on Windows and sometimes VASSAL/VASL behave differently for MAC users. So there's that.

When I clear the checkbox on the Wizard screen and then click the Cancel button, it does change the preference in the General tab of the preferences. And the next time I start VASL I don't get the Wizard. That is the behaviour that you want. I don't know why it is not working for you. Maybe some other MAC users can test this on their system and see if they get the same results as you do?
Ah! OK, so yes I'm guessing it is somehow MacOS related and probably about how "Preferences" are dealt with in MacOS vs. Windows. That would also explain why this probably hasn't come up much before, most folks are probably using Windows.

There appear to be multiple options that appear both in Preferences accessed from VASSAL and in Preferences accessed from VASL. Why they exist two places I don't know, but it appears for the Wizard the setting in the VASSAL one takes precedence but the Wizard itself modifies the VASL one resulting in the confusing behavior. I've not bothered exploring the other duplicated settings but I wouldn't be surprised if similar behavior appears there (i.e. only the VASSAL ones affect the control).

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did some more testing on Mark Moved. The point at which the preference disappears appears to be between VASSAL3.6.11 and 3.6.12. I have filed a bug report with VASSAL.
I wonder if this is part of my problem regarding the Movement Trail and it toggling off when the opponent moves. I have not been able to capture what mechanism is causing this. Maybe it is something that changed in VASSAL.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I wonder if this is part of my problem regarding the Movement Trail and it toggling off when the opponent moves. I have not been able to capture what mechanism is causing this. Maybe it is something that changed in VASSAL.
Could be. I note as well that the Movement Trail trait has a property "Trails Visibility synchronized for all Players". Have you played around with this option?

Waiting to hear what the VASSAL guys say about Marked Moved.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could be. I note as well that the Movement Trail trait has a property "Trails Visibility synchronized for all Players". Have you played around with this option?

Waiting to hear what the VASSAL guys say about Marked Moved.
I am in the process of looking at it. The property you mention I believe is what allows each player to either look at it individually (not checked) or force both players to see the trails (checked). I set it to be un-checked since I wanted each player to have the choice. I will look at that more since I had not thought about testing what happens if it is checked.

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
@turlusiflu do the comments and rolls appear if you enable the "Use images for dice rolls" preference as I mentioned in my posts above?
This preference is enabled, but still have the same problem.The only config difference between 2 computers that I'm checking is that one runs with Windows 10 and the other with Windows 7 (this one doesn't show any chat activity when I playback a logfile). None of these problems appear if I go back to VASL 6.6.4

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did anyone report the problem with the missing Finn 4-4-7 2nd Line Squads?

BTW, thanks for all the hard work that you guys do!

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recommendation - shift some things back to the way they've been. Notably, please show a colored die.

Also, my text is grey. My opponent (and anyone else looking in) is black. All announcement text (SAN notices, phase changes) are black. Switch that back to something easily seen. (Magenta - what it used to be - may not be the best, but non-black, please.)

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Go into your VASL preferences and re-pick your preferred die color(s). That should clear that (white dice) up.