VASL6.6.6 is officially released

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And note the comments in other threads about text displaying with "Use images for dice rolls" selected. It's under preferences - Chat Window.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Recommendation - shift some things back to the way they've been. Notably, please show a colored die.
View attachment 25613

Also, my text is grey. My opponent (and anyone else looking in) is black. All announcement text (SAN notices, phase changes) are black. Switch that back to something easily seen. (Magenta - what it used to be - may not be the best, but non-black, please.)
All of this can be done by simply setting your preferences.

You say your text is gray. I assume that means your name and text messages you send. Use the My Name and Text Messages preference for that one.
For "announcement text", use the Game Messages preference.

It really is that easy. Remember to use the Chat Window tab in Preferences.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It not easy if you have zero idea that's all been packed away in preferences with no warning on what's labeled as a minor update (rearranging this much furniture should have earned it "6.7", not 6.6.6) after decades of it not being that way....

And some comments on those die preferences - The first entry says "black". It seems to generate a white die (an actual black could be a good choice). There's also a preference for a third die. Since I don't know of any 3d6 buttons, I don't know what that controls (the dr button is obviously controlled by the single die preference). I would also recommend not defaulting to two white dice.

Edit - Hmm. I see switching the die option back to black does generate black dice. That's a bug that needs quashing. Also, that means there's no 'white' option for dr, where it would be a valid choice.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It not easy if you have zero idea that's all been packed away in preferences with no warning on what's labeled as a minor update (rearranging this much furniture should have earned it "6.7", not 6.6.6) after decades of it not being that way....
The usual way of "warning" about changes between versions is through release notes, such as those found on VASL.info where players go to download new versions of VASL.

From the release notes for 6.6.5 (when the changes to the Chat Window, including dice images, were first introduced: "NOTE: If you switch back-and-forth between 6.6.5 and any earlier version you will need to reset your coloured die colour (in both the Chat Window and Dice Over the Map) each time you switch. Unfortunate, but can't be avoided."

As of 6.6.6 such release notes are added to VASL and appear under the Help Menu -> What's New.

And some comments on those die preferences - The first entry says "black". It seems to generate a white die (an actual black could be a good choice). There's also a preference for a third die. Since I don't know of any 3d6 buttons, I don't know what that controls (the dr button is obviously controlled by the single die preference). I would also recommend not defaulting to two white dice.
Since many players may wish to switch back and forth between v6.6.4- and v6.6.5+ when playing different scenarios (such as long-running CGs), I think it is helpful to have a reminder (two white dice) when the dice colour has not been set properly in 6.6.5+. You may disagree but I think it works to flag to people that something isn't right.

Environment shaders (Dust, Fog, Sun Blindness, Heat Haze), some of which use a 3rd die, were introduced in 6.6.3.

Edit - Hmm. I see switching the die option back to black does generate black dice. That's a bug that needs quashing. Also, that means there's no 'white' option for dr, where it would be a valid choice.
Sorry, I don't follow. Where's the bug?

As far as the dr goes, sure I could add white to the list, just as we expanded the range of colours in 6.6.6 from those in 6.6.5 by adding nationality colours. I have nothing against adding one more choice but it seems a little trivial to me and isn't likely to get to the top of anyone's list real soon.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's also a preference for a third die. Since I don't know of any 3d6 buttons, I don't know what that controls (the dr button is obviously controlled by the single die preference).
When playing with Dust (F11.7) the dust dr appears as the third die when using dice images. I only know this because I'm playing such a scenario now!

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Did I read that both players have to have the same preference settings for dust to get dice to work normally? Or is that no longer a problem?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is still a problem. My opponent and I both have to set the same dust level each time we start a live game. Maybe the environment settings should be stored in the .vsav/.vlog file?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
anyone having problems saving gamefiles? It only seems to be happening in VASL, so probably not a VASSAL issue.

Map window freezes after I try to save and the only way I can close it down is via task manager. Thougt it might be VASL templates causing an issue but its the same whether VT is running or not.

Cheers

Paul

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The usual way of "warning" about changes between versions is through release notes, such as those found on VASL.info where players go to download new versions of VASL.
A minor version is generally bug fixes and very minor changes. So, I don't look through those release notes much.

Also, I missed 6.6.5 completely. Didn't even know it existed until I saw 6.6.6.

Again, this sort of thing really deserved a major revision number.

Since many players may wish to switch back and forth between v6.6.4- and v6.6.5+ when playing different scenarios (such as long-running CGs), I think it is helpful to have a reminder (two white dice) when the dice colour has not been set properly in 6.6.5+. You may disagree but I think it works to flag to people that something isn't right.
I disagree.

Sorry, I don't follow. Where's the bug?
The bug is the dice not being properly set in 6.6.5+ when starting it up. Also remember new users are going to be confronted with this when they're just poking at and learning VASL (and possibly Vassal too). Since they won't know any different, I really recommend having them properly set by default, and users can modify if and when they get to that point in their experience.

Environment shaders (Dust, Fog, Sun Blindness, Heat Haze), some of which use a 3rd die, were introduced in 6.6.3.
View attachment 25686
Nice! I had noted the new buttons a while back, but I thought all they were was shaders, since I haven't had Dust in a while, and don't think I've ever needed the other new ones.

I am not seeing what the "Dice Results font color" setting gets used for?

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
anyone having problems saving gamefiles? It only seems to be happening in VASL, so probably not a VASSAL issue.

Map window freezes after I try to save and the only way I can close it down is via task manager. Thougt it might be VASL templates causing an issue but its the same whether VT is running or not.

Cheers

Paul
A common reason for this is trying to save the file into a location which has "ransom-ware protection". An easy solution is to move your save game location into a folder in your /Documents.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
solved it. My original post was a bit garbled. The problem was that the player window was always on top so when saving, unless the player window was small enough the save game window sat behind the player window and you couldn't do anything with the main window as long as the save window remained open.

there's a setting in preferences for uncombined applications where the player window is always on top. If that box is ticked, whether you play with an uncombined application or not, every open window on your desktop will sit behind the player window when VASL is running.

Cheers

Paul

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Perhaps that option falls into the category of "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont know but any version of VASL after 6.6.3.1 does not work with my maps. Can I keep using using version 6.6.3.1 with newr versions others might have?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Patch notes

What window are you looking at?
Change to BLACK your log window first die changes to black, DICE OVER THE MAP doesn't change (different selection)|

Switching it back will change the Black die to your colored choice , IN the chat window.
Most players I know use DotM.