VASL6.6.3 Official Release

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played around with 5a and the range counts look good to me. Could you see if you can replicate the error? What happens if you string the los in the other direction?
I can replicate the error in the logfile, stringing LOS in both directions. However, if I start a new game and use board 5a, the LOS string works perfectly. It must be something with the logfile.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can replicate the error in the logfile, stringing LOS in both directions. However, if I start a new game and use board 5a, the LOS string works perfectly. It must be something with the logfile.
Yeah, seems like a one time error. Sometimes the mouse will trigger odd things.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
VASL6.6.3 is now officially released. Get it here.
Added a CA pointer for all veh/guns. Shift-Alt-Q to toggle on/off on individual vehicle/gun. Shift-Alt-W to toggle on/off for all vehicle/guns in the game (must have at least one selected to toggle). Thanks to Neal Ulen for the hard work on this one

Can we have this added as a Default OFF? then TOGGLE on?
or just a button on the preferences menu?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From another thread, here is how to setup the offboard observer for LOS checks.

To add:
  1. Open the OBA window. Create a new OBA module if required
  2. Enter board and hex info (ie 37A4). For boards 1-9 use 01-09 for board name
  3. Enter level info
  4. Click Add OBO
Once "saved" appears you can clear the board/hex info to hide it from your opponent.

To use:
String LOS thread as normal. In the hex with the OBO, use the normal UpArrow or CTRL-UpArrow to move to the OBO level (if using verbose mode you will see OB Observer in the LOS info).

Pro tip: In the release notes I said this could be done on board edge hexes. Actually it will work on any hex on the map.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Added a CA pointer for all veh/guns. . .
Can we have this added as a Default OFF? then TOGGLE on?
Yes. I did it Default ON Toggle OFF this time because otherwise few people would even realize it could be done (since no one ever reads the frigging release notes!). Once people are used to seeing them, I may do a poll and see which way players prefer. I can change it in 6.6.4 if that is the preferred option.

or just a button on the preferences menu?
I tried this but had trouble making it work.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Seems a lot more trouble than just taking an offboard observer marker, adding a label to remind you what level it's at, and then HIPping the counter in the desired hex. What's the advantage of this complicated rigmarole?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Seems a lot more trouble than just taking an offboard observer marker, adding a label to remind you what level it's at, and then HIPping the counter in the desired hex. What's the advantage of this complicated rigmarole?
Principally that the los engine will work from the OBO locations (and the virtual locations).

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I see a behaviour that I feel everyone should know about. It may or may not be a bug, but there is an easy work-around.

When I have the "highlight CA" feature turned on, my opponent can see the highlight on my concealed units. Photo below.

The work-around is to turn the feature off while you have concealed units.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I used 6.6.3 for two games recently. The first game had internet connections in the same city area. The second was from Montreal to rural Sweden. In the second game, we had a lot of trouble with getting out-of-synch. I or my opponent would use Ctrl+Click and the other person would not see it. Similarly, I or my opponent would move a unit and the other person would not see it. Even stranger, several times I could not see my own Ctrl+Click. When it happened, we would play around clicking and control clicking and after a minute or so, things would return to normal. After about an hour of this intermittent behaviour, we went back to 6.2.2 to continue our session. The behaviour did not happen with 6.2.2 . Skype was running fine during that time. The first game had no such problems. Weird stuff.

Both of us have VASSAL 3.5.8 .

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You can download VASL-6.6.4-beta1.vmod which contains a fix for the OBA bug. It contains NO other changes from 6.6.3. You only need this if you will be opening games saved in earlier versions with OBA modules already created.
A reminder (and something I didn't make super explicit in the release notes for vasl6.6.3) - the OB Observer location (and the virtual locations) can only be used on boards which have the vasl los added. They won't work on boards with just the vassal los string. This isn't a bug; it is just how the los engine works.

Trying to add an OB Observer on a board that isn't using vasl los checking will cause a crash. This is a bug and I will fix it in 6.6.4.

When you start a game there will be a message in the chat window telling you whether VASL Los Checking or the VASSAL los string is active.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Yes. I did it Default ON Toggle OFF this time because otherwise few people would even realize it could be done (since no one ever reads the frigging release notes!). Once people are used to seeing them, I may do a poll and see which way players prefer. I can change it in 6.6.4 if that is the preferred option.

The issue is that EVERY item you bring out has the arrow.
Its the exact same functionality of the "This GUY" feature that was turned off by default for some reason.

Just reverse the feature...It's up to the user to read and keep up with VASL improvments.
You could do the same thing as any box. Select it on, but make it such that we can deselect instead of changing EVERY counter.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I see a behaviour that I feel everyone should know about. It may or may not be a bug, but there is an easy work-around.

When I have the "highlight CA" feature turned on, my opponent can see the highlight on my concealed units. Photo below.

View attachment 19464

Is that YOUR screen or your opponents?

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 19464

Yeah, this looks to be a problem. Doug implemented it differently than I did for my mod. My mod simply had the CA put on every veh/gun and couldn't be toggled off and didn't affect any concealment counter or concealment status. Doug implemented it so it could be switched on/off dynamically for all or some veh/guns, at any time. I'm guess it's an easy fix.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I used 6.6.3 for two games recently. The first game had internet connections in the same city area. The second was from Montreal to rural Sweden. In the second game, we had a lot of trouble with getting out-of-synch. I or my opponent would use Ctrl+Click and the other person would not see it. Similarly, I or my opponent would move a unit and the other person would not see it. Even stranger, several times I could not see my own Ctrl+Click. When it happened, we would play around clicking and control clicking and after a minute or so, things would return to normal. After about an hour of this intermittent behaviour, we went back to 6.2.2 to continue our session. The behaviour did not happen with 6.2.2 . Skype was running fine during that time. The first game had no such problems. Weird stuff.

Both of us have VASSAL 3.5.8 .
Michael

Any repetition of this problem recently or was it just a one-time thing?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Putting this to use in the coming scenario .. :)