VASL6.6.3 Official Release

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
VASL6.6.3 is now officially released. Get it here.

This version is about terrain issues:

Fixed Orchard-to-Cactus Patch transformation on bd25

Fixed LOS to Crest location in a Depression hex

LOS now works with RB/RO gutted factory overlays

LOS bug with cropped Deluxe boards is fixed

LOS bug with deluxe-sized hexes fixed

Bd41 and bd47 Marsh transforms and Orchard-to-Shellhole transform fixed

LOS to On-Map bridges and to Bridge and Crest Counters fixed

LOS now works on desert boards 26-31, plus when using hillock, wadi, dier and sand dune (low only) overlays

Expanded environmental shaders for Dust, Fog, Sun Blindness, Heat Haze. Thanks to Morris Legge for this work!

Some under the hood changes will clean up minor bugs and irritants

Plus, we did some other stuff:

Added a preference to enable the Player Window (menus, toolbars, chat, dice) to be always on top when in uncombined window mode. Player Window is resizeable

You can now add an offboard observer location (not counter) to a board edge hex at specified height and draw LOS to/from it as if to an upper-level building. Plus, all hexes now allow the los string to go up 10 levels and down 3 levels of “virtual locations”

? was preventing some vehicles from moving via CTRL-numpad. Fixed

Broken units moved to the Casualty Bin now revert to GO side in the Bin; Striped squad CVP fixed

Added a CA pointer for all veh/guns. Shift-Alt-Q to toggle on/off on individual vehicle/gun. Shift-Alt-W to toggle on/off for all vehicle/guns in the game (must have at least one selected to toggle). Thanks to Neal Ulen for the hard work on this one

The Counter Detail window (hover over stack) now shows base level of hex along with hexname

Updated the Help files and converted them to pdfs. Plus added a more complete listing of Hotkeys. Many thanks to Jeff Wright for his great work on this.

Moved VASL to VASSAL3.5.8. You will need VASSAL3.5.8 to run this VASL version. Any other version is at your own risk

Compatibility issues: 6.6.3 is generally compatible with games saved in 6.6.2. Some bug fixes which required changes to certain counters will not work for counters created in 6.6.2 but they should maintain their previous functionality

Finally, please note that virtually every board was updated since 6.6.2 was released. This was the start of a big effort to eliminate redundant components in the board files which will make solving board issues much easier and will simplify adding new terrain transformations. It will slow down bug fixing for the next year or so but will pay big benefits.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks so much: this was a big haul!

haggis

Reaction score
Country
ll
I also appreciate the hard work put into this..
I have installed it, and do like the covered arc indicators!

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bug Alert: If you try to open a game saved in v.6.6.2 or earlier that has an OBA module, you will get a VASSAL crash.

Quick fix: open the game in 6.6.2. Delete the OBA module. Open the game in 6.6.3. Add the OBA module.

I made changes to the OBA module in 6.6.3 and missed this in testing. My mistake.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bug Alert: If you try to open a game saved in v.6.6.2 or earlier that has an OBA module, you will get a VASSAL crash.

Quick fix: open the game in 6.6.2. Delete the OBA module. Open the game in 6.6.3. Add the OBA module.

I made changes to the OBA module in 6.6.3 and missed this in testing. My mistake.
You can download VASL-6.6.4-beta1.vmod which contains a fix for the OBA bug. It contains NO other changes from 6.6.3. You only need this if you will be opening games saved in earlier versions with OBA modules already created.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Counter Detail window (hover over stack) now shows base level of hex along with hexname
I cannot get this to work properly. It feels to me like it works for the first counter brought onto the board, but not the rest. Most often, it shows the words "Base Level" without a number. It also seems to work for only Base Level 0.

I apologize for not testing this in the beta module.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Actually .. I am on BFP boards & FFS map. There's no # after "Base Level" even though my counters are on Level 0.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bugger!

This one I did test and I know it was working. I must have messed it up making another change. This one will have to wait for 6.6.4 to get fixed.

2emecuirassier

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Gerard
Country
llFrance
Thanks for the good job ! I am amazed by the amount of activities the team is doing for VASL !
I was looking for the latest official SK boards ( from Bonus Pack 2) "i" and "j" . I couldn't find them on the vasl.info site. Maybe they are not designed yet, any date when they will become available in VASL ?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There are sk boards “l” and “m” and deluxe boards “l” and “m”.

So we named the sk boards “lSK” and “mSK”. They are in the drop down list and will download if you click on them.

2emecuirassier

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Gerard
Country
llFrance
That's correct , I found lSK and mSK . However, these "l" and "m" SK boards are part of Starter Kit Expansion #2 , I was looking for Boards "i" and "j" that are delivered in the Starter Kit Bonus Pack #2 ! I wasn't precise enough in my initial post !

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's correct , I found lSK and mSK . However, these "l" and "m" SK boards are part of Starter Kit Expansion #2 , I was looking for Boards "i" and "j" that are delivered in the Starter Kit Bonus Pack #2 ! I wasn't precise enough in my initial post !
You were perfectly precise. It appears that I can't read! I don't know why I saw l and m when you clearly wrote i and J.

In any event, click on boards "i" and "j" from the dropdown list and they will download to your device (free delivery!).

Auto-syncing of boards means never having to go to VASL.info again (for boards at least). Always check the dropdown first. If the board is in the list, click it and get it.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You were perfectly precise. It appears that I can't read! I don't know why I saw l and m when you clearly wrote i and J.

In any event, click on boards "i" and "j" from the dropdown list and they will download to your device (free delivery!).

Auto-syncing of boards means never having to go to VASL.info again (for boards at least). Always check the dropdown first. If the board is in the list, click it and get it.
Those i & j boards are DELUXE boards, not sk boards

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Having been wrong twice I am reluctant to comment further.

However, if I were to hazard a guess, I would think that SK “i” and “j” are not yet available in vasl. Just a guess.

Sorry for the misdirect

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Having been wrong twice I am reluctant to comment further.

However, if I were to hazard a guess, I would think that SK “i” and “j” are not yet available in vasl. Just a guess.

Sorry for the misdirect
Dude, thanks for fielding all these VASL questions

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL6.6.3 is now officially released. Get it here.

This version is about terrain issues:

Fixed Orchard-to-Cactus Patch transformation on bd25

Fixed LOS to Crest location in a Depression hex

LOS now works with RB/RO gutted factory overlays

LOS bug with cropped Deluxe boards is fixed

LOS bug with deluxe-sized hexes fixed

Bd41 and bd47 Marsh transforms and Orchard-to-Shellhole transform fixed

LOS to On-Map bridges and to Bridge and Crest Counters fixed

LOS now works on desert boards 26-31, plus when using hillock, wadi, dier and sand dune (low only) overlays

Expanded environmental shaders for Dust, Fog, Sun Blindness, Heat Haze. Thanks to Morris Legge for this work!

Some under the hood changes will clean up minor bugs and irritants

Plus, we did some other stuff:

Added a preference to enable the Player Window (menus, toolbars, chat, dice) to be always on top when in uncombined window mode. Player Window is resizeable

You can now add an offboard observer location (not counter) to a board edge hex at specified height and draw LOS to/from it as if to an upper-level building. Plus, all hexes now allow the los string to go up 10 levels and down 3 levels of “virtual locations”

? was preventing some vehicles from moving via CTRL-numpad. Fixed

Broken units moved to the Casualty Bin now revert to GO side in the Bin; Striped squad CVP fixed

Added a CA pointer for all veh/guns. Shift-Alt-Q to toggle on/off on individual vehicle/gun. Shift-Alt-W to toggle on/off for all vehicle/guns in the game (must have at least one selected to toggle). Thanks to Neal Ulen for the hard work on this one

Updated the Help files and converted them to pdfs. Plus added a more complete listing of Hotkeys. Many thanks to Jeff Wright for his great work on this.

Moved VASL to VASSAL3.5.8. You will need VASSAL3.5.8 to run this VASL version. Any other version is at your own risk

Compatibility issues: 6.6.3 is generally compatible with games saved in 6.6.2. Some bug fixes which required changes to certain counters will not work for counters created in 6.6.2 but they should maintain their previous functionality

Finally, please note that virtually every board was updated since 6.6.2 was released. This was the start of a big effort to eliminate redundant components in the board files which will make solving board issues much easier and will simplify adding new terrain transformations. It will slow down bug fixing for the next year or so but will pay big benefits.
I'm not sure if this is a 6.6.3 problem, but on map 5a, the LOS thread is not counting the hexes correctly.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update it is not a 6.6.3 issue. this is board 35 and it is working correctly. 19414

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have played around with 5a and the range counts look good to me. Could you see if you can replicate the error? What happens if you string the los in the other direction?