VASL6.6.2-beta3 released

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Get the new 6.6.2-beta here.

PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND TRY IT. FIND THE BUGS NOW SO THEY DON'T GET IN THE OFFICIAL RELEASE.

This version is about bug fixes:

Crashes during Board Selection and Setup. We fixed a couple of bugs that caused issues when using the BoardPicker wizard at startup.

AFV’s marked with a Bad Things label now show up in the Broken/Malf Finder.

Fixed issues causing the “Outdated Custom Code” messages.

Fixed North Korean concealment bug.

Fixed bug with Marsh to Level 0 terrain transformation.

LOS Freezing- we fixed one bug. It may not entirely prevent freezing but it will help. Some VASSAL changes will help as well.

Cropping to a Full Hex was still kicking out the los engine in some situations. Fixed that dead.

Blind hex Gully bugs – fixed a minor bug when determining blind hexes in los and when tracing los into a Gully.

Board-specific Overlays (those listed in the TerrainSSR window) now only block los when touched by los thread.

Chat window now reports if VASL LOS enabled or disabled at game startup. If disabled, the VASSAL string will display instead.

Plus, we did some other stuff:

Moved VASL to VASSAL3.5.4. You will need VASSAL3.5.4 to run this VASL version.

Created a separate VASL tab in Preferences. All those listed there are specific to VASL - use it to set the red circle "look here" preference! Those remaining under the General tab are VASSAL Preferences.

Added functionality to the Casualties Bin: you can now send an AFV to the Cas Bin and create a wreck on the map with one click. Same for CRing Squad to a HS and sending a HS to the Bin (there is also an option to ELR the squad first). But you will still have to break the remaining HS (if needed) with another click. Prisoner CVP values can now be changed. BH or ELR leaders now changes their CVP.

Added CX menu option to ? counters. (This was flagged as an issue in October 2015; we may be slow but we don’t go fast).

Added a Dust Shader button. Works like the night shader only with a number of gradients.

We added custom phase track wheels that enable you to use individual nationality icons in the phase wheel and turn track tools. Plus the phase tracker now runs for 40 turns! Credit Gordon Molek and Walter Parker for their assistance with the custom turn markers and phase wheel. Gordon did all the turn and reinforcement marker graphics. Walter figured out the way to get the phase tracker to go up to turn 40.

VASSAL3.5.4 fixes a bug that was eliminating the first character typed in the chat window.

Compatibility issues: 6.6.2 is compatible with games saved in 6.6.1. Unit counters created in 6.6.1 will not have the new Casualties Bin options but can still be sent to the Bin and have their CVP added.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ah, just yesterday I noticed that this had not been the case yet and was about to write a notification about it.

Already fixed - well done! 👍

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Moved VASL to VASSAL3.5.4. You will need VASSAL3.5.4 to run this VASL version.
Let me ask for clarification:

You are saying that VASSAL v3.5.4 is the minimum version required to run VASL v6.6.2 and that VASSAL v3.5.3 and lower will not work with it?

Or are you saying that VASL v6.6.2 will run with VASSAL v3.5.3 and older to v3.5.0, but the new VASL version is optimized to run with VASSAL v3.5.4?

=========================

After I tried to install VASSAL v3.5.4 last night, my virus scanner had a malware alert which took me the entire last night to get rid of. Joel Uckelman has assured me today that it would be safe to release the 'offending' uninstaller from quarantine (along with 564 files in tow related to VASSAL v3.5.4) but naturally, I have become cautious now even if my case might have been a 'false positive'.

Besides that, VASL v6.6.2 seems to include quite a number of improvements and fixes that can actually 'be felt' in routine play.

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There's a "Retire" button (trust me, I was hitting it frantically .. but no RV nor beach appeared)

What does that do?

???

Send a pic. No such button visible on my version of vasl. From an extension maybe?

EDIT: just saw your pic over on the Facebook. Yep, that's almost certainly an extension at work. No idea which one.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Let me ask for clarification:

You are saying that VASSAL v3.5.4 is the minimum version required to run VASL v6.6.2 and that VASSAL v3.5.3 and lower will not work with it?

Or are you saying that VASL v6.6.2 will run with VASSAL v3.5.3 and older to v3.5.0, but the new VASL version is optimized to run with VASSAL v3.5.4?

von Marwitz
VASL6.6.2 was built using VASSAL3.5.4. It was tested to work with (and hopefully the beta will get more testing). So, it works best with VASSAL3.5.4.

Will it work with VASSAL3.5.3 and earlier? Yes, but not entirely. Some of the changes that were made in VASL require the VASSAL changes that came with 3.5.4 and so those ones won't work. Descending to earlier VASSAL versions will likely produce even more bugs.

So I strongly recommend moving to VASSAL3.5.4 if you want to benefit from the improvements in VASL6.6.2.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
???

Send a pic. No such button visible on my version of vasl. From an extension maybe?

EDIT: just saw your pic over on the Facebook. Yep, that's almost certainly an extension at work. No idea which one.
Yeah .. funny 'cause I don't see it when I run 6.6.1 (and I still don't). Anyway, no biggie .. it's a nice thought anyway.

Ah well :)

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Not a feature I use very much (at all), but tested it: 'Enter File Comments' feature when saving a game.

Text says: 'Enter comments describing this save or log file. They will appear when the file is loaded...etc.'

Result: no such text is displayed when the saved file is loaded (that I can see). I'm using RB map V3.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have absolutely no idea what this is or where it came from.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doesn't that 'retire' button allow you to sort of 'quit' playing a side and pick another? Good for doing setups for multiplayer games. I don't think ASL really needs it however.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Doug: using the beta version, I did not see a red circle around an AFV marked with a broken (not disabled) CMG by "Bad Things". The other bad things did not trigger the red circle either.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Doug: using the beta version, I did not see a red circle around an AFV marked with a broken (not disabled) CMG by "Bad Things". The other bad things did not trigger the red circle either.

View attachment 17378
Works fine on my machine using the same vehicle. The red circle is showing up on your device with other counters so it is not the preference setting. Honestly, I dunno.

Have you tried it with other vehicles? If it is widespread -- across 5 or 6 randomly chosen vehicles -- then it may be some kind of Mac attack special problem.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 17378
Try pulling a new vehicle from the counter tray. I suspect this is a pre-6.6.2 counter you have.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I reported this error to VASSAL when a bug report flashed up. Reporting it here because the failure occurred when using VASL 6.6.2 - beta3:

I was trying to save a file in the new beta and it disappeared -- vanished without a trace. Then it reported an internal error. I was using the new VASL beta module 6.6.2-beta 3.
As this is a catastrophic error resulting in the loss of everything
[had just set up map/overlays etc], I will revert to VASSAL 3.1.17 and VASL 6.5.1 for this game [for a PBeM tournament -- we can't deal with unsaved log files].

Scenario was J113 -- note: I was using the fancy new VASL Information Table Generator on a label, just in case that had anything to do with it. Hopefully not. This may be a VASSAL error not VASL but I'm not sure.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I reported this error to VASSAL when a bug report flashed up. Reporting it here because the failure occurred when using VASL 6.6.2 - beta3:

I was trying to save a file in the new beta and it disappeared -- vanished without a trace. Then it reported an internal error. I was using the new VASL beta module 6.6.2-beta 3.
As this is a catastrophic error resulting in the loss of everything
[had just set up map/overlays etc], I will revert to VASSAL 3.1.17 and VASL 6.5.1 for this game [for a PBeM tournament -- we can't deal with unsaved log files].

Scenario was J113 -- note: I was using the fancy new VASL Information Table Generator on a label, just in case that had anything to do with it. Hopefully not. This may be a VASSAL error not VASL but I'm not sure.
Hi

I have not seen the VASSAL bug report yet. I will look for it over the next couple of days.

What is the Information Table Generator that you mentionned? Is it an extension?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi

I have not seen the VASSAL bug report yet. I will look for it over the next couple of days.

What is the Information Table Generator that you mentionned? Is it an extension?
okay. Here is a link to the table generator. It's nice bling, really :)

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was able to set up J113 and save it in 6.6.2-beta3. By set up, I mean select the boards and add the overlays. Is there anything else that you did before the crash?

Next, I tried adding a few counters, starting a log file, moving and breaking the units, stopping the log file and playing it back. All worked ok.