VASL6.6.2-beta3 released

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply,

I completely understand the level of effort you've put in to complete the LOS for the RB maps, please accept my gratitude on behalf of all of us who play using the maps.
I just wondered whether I had installed the overlays incorrectly.

I suppose my biggest wish list would be to allow for the roofless hexes in the gutted factories but as an old programmer I can appreciate the complexities of trying to account for terrain changes, I honestly don’t know how you’ve managed it.

Anyway thanks again, I’ll just have to go back to counting hexes to work out the number of blind hexes over factory walls
On further investigation, it seems that my first reply to you was totally wrong. I had not actually taken the time to go back and look the code. I simply went by memory - a very bad idea! LOL

Here is the actual situation. I had previously coded changes to enabled RB gutted factory overlays to work with los. It is doable for them because the terrain change is very specific and, unlike regular overlays, the overlays can only be placed in one position. The code worked with RBv2. It stopped working with RBv3 due to changes in the board file. I have now aligned the code to work with RBv3 and with RO.

So, when VASL6.6.3 is released this fall, the los engine will recognize the terrain changes due to adding a gutted factory overlay on either RBv3 or RO.

Dualnet

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Get the new 6.6.2-beta here.

PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND TRY IT. FIND THE BUGS NOW SO THEY DON'T GET IN THE OFFICIAL RELEASE.

This version is about bug fixes:

Crashes during Board Selection and Setup. We fixed a couple of bugs that caused issues when using the BoardPicker wizard at startup.

AFV’s marked with a Bad Things label now show up in the Broken/Malf Finder.

Fixed issues causing the “Outdated Custom Code” messages.

Fixed North Korean concealment bug.

Fixed bug with Marsh to Level 0 terrain transformation.

LOS Freezing- we fixed one bug. It may not entirely prevent freezing but it will help. Some VASSAL changes will help as well.

Cropping to a Full Hex was still kicking out the los engine in some situations. Fixed that dead.

Blind hex Gully bugs – fixed a minor bug when determining blind hexes in los and when tracing los into a Gully.

Board-specific Overlays (those listed in the TerrainSSR window) now only block los when touched by los thread.

Chat window now reports if VASL LOS enabled or disabled at game startup. If disabled, the VASSAL string will display instead.

Plus, we did some other stuff:

Moved VASL to VASSAL3.5.4. You will need VASSAL3.5.4 to run this VASL version.

Created a separate VASL tab in Preferences. All those listed there are specific to VASL - use it to set the red circle "look here" preference! Those remaining under the General tab are VASSAL Preferences.

Added functionality to the Casualties Bin: you can now send an AFV to the Cas Bin and create a wreck on the map with one click. Same for CRing Squad to a HS and sending a HS to the Bin (there is also an option to ELR the squad first). But you will still have to break the remaining HS (if needed) with another click. Prisoner CVP values can now be changed. BH or ELR leaders now changes their CVP.

Added CX menu option to ? counters. (This was flagged as an issue in October 2015; we may be slow but we don’t go fast).

Added a Dust Shader button. Works like the night shader only with a number of gradients.

We added custom phase track wheels that enable you to use individual nationality icons in the phase wheel and turn track tools. Plus the phase tracker now runs for 40 turns! Credit Gordon Molek and Walter Parker for their assistance with the custom turn markers and phase wheel. Gordon did all the turn and reinforcement marker graphics. Walter figured out the way to get the phase tracker to go up to turn 40.

VASSAL3.5.4 fixes a bug that was eliminating the first character typed in the chat window.

Compatibility issues: 6.6.2 is compatible with games saved in 6.6.1. Unit counters created in 6.6.1 will not have the new Casualties Bin options but can still be sent to the Bin and have their CVP added.
Trying to download but it says the file has been deleted any idea what I do now

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is the beta version. You don’t want it. You want the official release. Go to vasl.info or look for the vasl6.6.2 thread on GS.

Dualnet

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Doug

I was interested in the fix for the roofless factories overlay, I've downloaded and installed VASL 6.6.2. I 'll just have to wait for the overlay fix.

Regards

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can easily build a vasl6.6.3-beta.vmod and send you a link to it. That way you can give it a test drive and make sure I have it working properly. In fact, I just did and here it is:

This will work with VASSAL3.5.5+ and boards RBv3 and RO.

Let me know if you see any problems! If you use the up and down arrows in an SSR gutted factory you will see that the los still thinks the roof level exists. I could probably fix this but I am not sure if it is worth the effort. What do you think?