VASL6.6.0 is officially released

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
Just updated my VASSAL to 3.4.2, my VASL to 6.6.0...so far, so good. Still trying to get my VASL Templates 1.2 to work with all...
Another good rainy day project!

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
about the 3rd problems seem it happens only on an non official map ( one created for a playlets). I'll do more test to confirm this ipotesi
For Bug#2, the hex name text size, I can see the problem! Can you try the zoom in and out buttons and see if the text size changes proportionately?

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
For Bug#2, the hex name text size, I can see the problem! Can you try the zoom in and out buttons and see if the text size changes proportionately?
here 3 screnshot
1st as file open, 2 zoom x1 as i play, 3 zoom2x

Attachments

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Being able to actually see your password in the preferences is wonderful, thankyou to whoever thought of that for the update. Sometimes it's the little things...

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Being able to actually see your password in the preferences is wonderful, thankyou to whoever thought of that for the update. Sometimes it's the little things...
Must be a VASSAL thing because we did not change it in VASL. BTW, what OS are you runnng? I checked my password and all I see is * even when I change it. Maybe the VASL/VASSAL gods just like you.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Must be a VASSAL thing because we did not change it in VASL. BTW, what OS are you running? I checked my password and all I see is * even when I change it.
Windows 10, VASSAL 3.4.3, VASL 6.6.0

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Windows 10, VASSAL 3.4.3, VASL 6.6.0
Thanks. I am running VASSAL3.4.2. The only thing I can think of is that it is a change due to 3.4.3, which is a use-at-your-own-risk version.

I agree that it is a good change. Credit to the VASSAL team.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Maybe the VASL/VASSAL gods just like you.
Hmm, perhaps - had a couple of great rolls at crucial moments in tonight's game, I must admit. Snakeyes in CC is just wicked.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you so much for all the work done on VASL.
How are overlays being handled now?
Is there an extension that should be loaded?
Do we still type in hexes to place the overlay, or has that been totally replaced by the draggable feature?
Thank you.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Both methods are in use to place overlays. Each has their own pros and cons.

My suggestion is to use the draggable overlay extension as primary. I think it’s easier to use. However overlays placed in that manner can’t be cropped and most of them don’t have terrain transforms. If you need those features, use the traditional placement method.

If all else fails, let me know what you need and I’ll do my best to help you.

Al

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, thank you Al, and for the offer.
I'm very adept at both methods, just was not sure if with the 6.6 release, one has been left behind. ( I figured the hex coordinate method was in the past now )
As you suggest, I'll use the draggable. Seems important my opponent has this as well, to avoid any visibility issues of the overlays.
Thank you.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Steve,

You are correct that both players should have the extension installed.

In the more you probably wanted to know department...

Quick history of the overlay extension...

It was initially developed to aid in placement of large overlays that extended off board (like ocean and beach). It’s also much easier for me to modify and update which allows me to get stuff to the user quicker. Initial response was favorable for its ease of use. Thus the initial intent was for the draggable overlay extension to completely replace the hex grid system. However, the draggable system has its shortcomings. It was thought that these shortcomings could be eliminated with code changes but alas, that is not possible. So the hex grid system is retained as both systems can supplement the other.

The hex grid system is not being maintained by anyone however. If someone out there is interested in taking up that task, I’ll help them out as best I can.

The good news is that most, if not all, core system overlays can be handled by either system. The overlays I can think of that are only in the draggable extension are some by BFP, the DASL overlays, and the beach and ocean overlays.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
As others have noted, this is now a preference, and I double-checked that it was selected ON before I built the module. So I don't know why it was off on yours. I opened my version of 6.6.0 just after releasing it and the preference was on. Ghosts in the machine.
Perhaps your machine. The preference was unticked for me also.

fabiofotomoto

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
i see 2 problem with 6.6.0
1- che i select some counter and i move them some disappear, or better the stack disappear but if you move the mouse over you can see all the unit ( see attach)
2- when control click i see the red circle but appear the info window as with the right click

thanks fabio

Attachments

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
i see 2 problem with 6.6.0
1- che i select some counter and i move them some disappear, or better the stack disappear but if you move the mouse over you can see all the unit ( see attach)
2- when control click i see the red circle but appear the info window as with the right click

thanks fabio
I see the same problem when I play back vlogs created by 6.6.0 + VASSAL 3.4.3
... I see the same issue when I run the same log on 6.6.0 + VASSAL 3.4.2 as well

I am switching back down to 6.6.0-beta + VASSAL 3.3.2

Last edited: