VASL Version Kosher Map

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Is there a clear source/chart of what versions of VASSAL work with versions of VASL?

I'm getting Ghosted images when I never had them before.

3.5.8 3.6.2
6.6.3.1 6.6.2
Some boards show up in one version mixed with another version etc ad infinitum.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Doug has been kind enough to indicate the VASSAL version used for each specific release of Virtual ASL.

IIRC, he used 3.5.8 for the release of 6.6.2 .

In each thread announcing a Virtual ASL release, I believe one can find the VASSAL version used.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Doug has been kind enough to indicate the VASSAL version used for each specific release of Virtual ASL.

IIRC, he used 3.5.8 for the release of 6.6.2 .

In each thread announcing a Virtual ASL release, I believe one can find the VASSAL version used.
So, no flow charts?
As most ASLers are used to charts...and considering we've had like 5-6 changes over the last year...
A simple chart could be handy.
Not everyone uses the same versions, and as pointed out continuously...some maps don't show up. Many people think that the newest version solves the worlds problems in VASL

I'm curious as to why all of the images are in the base folder of IMAGES in the mod instead of in the nationalities folders as the other modules before. Seems a bit inefficient.

Which source does the game take the image from?

why is there an auf38t in the ge folder and also in the base folder of images?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So, no flow charts?
As most ASLers are used to charts...and considering we've had like 5-6 changes over the last year...
A simple chart could be handy.
Not everyone uses the same versions, and as pointed out continuously...some maps don't show up. Many people think that the newest version solves the worlds problems in VASL
VASL/VASSAL version compatibility only became an issue in September 2020 when VASSAL began a great development spree that continues to this day. VASL.info shows the VASL/VASSAL match for every VASL module released since then. You wanted a source; there's a source. You wanted a chart; there's no chart.

Most (but certainly not all) VASL/VASSAL compatibility issues stem from using a particular VASL version with a VASSAL version that was released after the VASL version. For example, VASL6.6.3 was built using VASSAL3.5.8 which was the latest VASSAL available at the time. I can't test whether VASL6.6.3 is compatible with VASSAL3.6.0 when VASSAL3.6.0 does not exist! Someone could conduct compatability testing for every new VASSAL module that is issued (and boy there are a lot of them which is great to see; the VASSAL guys are really doing good work), but that someone is not going to be me. Whenever I build a VASL module I use the latest extant version of VASSAL. Best I can do.

There is no verified, official compatibility between a VASL version and a VASSAL version higher than the one the VASL version was built with. Use at your own risk means it!

I'm curious as to why all of the images are in the base folder of IMAGES in the mod instead of in the nationalities folders as the other modules before. Seems a bit inefficient.
Don't know what you mean. They aren't. Look on github. You can easily see there the folder structure under the Images folder. Yes, there are lots of images in the base folder but by no means all. This is under-the-hood stuff that has no impact on the user but it's not a secret and I am happy to explain it.
Which source does the game take the image from?
The map images come from board files; overlays from overlay files. All other images come from the Images folder and subfolders in the module or an extension.
why is there an auf38t in the ge folder and also in the base folder of images?
The perils of Open Source software development. Multiple hands in the pie; uncoordinated efforts over a 20 year period as developers come and go. Lack of documentation. Focus on making it work and then moving on to the next issue; no one ever takes out the trash. It's not a total mess but it lacks a certain discipline. I suspect the VASSAL folks have a much stronger control framework to prevent this kind of thing. The best thing I can say for VASL is that it is transparent. What you see on Github is what get.

BTW, I could not find the auf38t in the base folder of images.