VASL version 5.1 Mac problem

Ken Hampel

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My VASL version was automatically upgraded to Ver 5.1 and now when I start VASL5 and attempt to load a logfile I get the following message.

- VASL version 5.1
- Loading RB5-G15-03 ...
- This game was saved with extension 'VASL4' loaded. You do not have this extension loaded.Place the file into the 'data archive_ext' folder to load it.

The logfile loads but there are many blank counters. I had the same problem when I started to use ver 5.0 and solved it by using the VASL4.mdx extension. Doesn't seem to work now, I still have the VASL4.mdx extension.

Should I be able to manage this and other extensions? I can find no extensions link in the VASL 5.1 interface.

Anyone else have this problem, any ideas? Thanks.
Ken

Ken Hampel

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There has been some improvement, but I still have some issues. I have created a folded named data archive_ext into which I have placed the VASL4.mdx extensions (VASL4.mdx, VASL4_ext1.mdx and VASL4_ext2.mdx) and I have selected this folder int he extensions part of the preferences in the VASL 5.1 interface. When I start VASL 5.1 and attaempt to load a file I get the following messages.

- VASL version 5.1
- Unable to load extension /Users/Ken/VASSAL/VASL/data archive_ext/.DS_Store: error in opening zip file
- Extension VASL4 v5.0b2 loaded
- Extension VASL4_ext1 v5.0 loaded
- Extension VASL4_ext2 v5.0.1 loaded
- Loading RB5-G15-03 ...
- Game saved with version 5.0.1 of extension 'VASL4', you are running version 5.0b2. Please upgrade to the latest version of this extension.
- LOS engine disabled... Board RB does not support LOS checking
- Loaded RB5-G15-03

Looks good, things loaded, but when I look at the game, many of the AFV icons are missing, and some of the gun icons are missing. None of the other counters seem to be affected.

Any ideas where I can get the VASL ext that goes with VASL ver 5.1, that seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle here. Alternatively, is there any way to go back to Ver 5.0 where I did not have a problem.

Thanks for the input so far, if anyone has any ideas on how to proceed from here, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Ken

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Hi Ken,
I'm not familiar w/ Macs, but here's my take on your situation:
a) remove '.DS_Store' from your extensions dir. VASSAL will try to load all the files in this dir - '.DS_Store' is prob'ly not causing any harm by not loading, but removing it from your extensions dir will eliminate the errormsg from your startup.
b) your VASL4.mdx (v5.0b2) is old-old-old - from one of the early VASL5 betas - looks like it came from the vasl.org\downloads\ page or from Neuralman's vasldump? Search your files for another instance of VASL4.mdx. The webinstaller should have updated your VASL4.mdx to v5.1. If you can find other instances of it, try copying them one-by-one into your extensions dir, restarting VASL after each time, and noting the reported version# in the chat. If you can find VASL4.mdx v5.0.1, this should be almost as good as the VASL4.mdx v5.1 - as the upgrade/changes between these 2 versions were primarily only imagefile size-reductions (but VASL will still throw an errormsg on startup). If you can't find anything on your system, PM me w/ your email addy & I'll send you the (1.7meg) file.