VASL tutorials for newbies

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
At some point it would be nice if we could have two of the more experienced players set up a game and play using VASL. The rest of us could them tune in as observers and watch the action. This method has been used in the past as a way for beginners to learn, and it could also make a fascinating AAR tool with a neutral commentator involved.

I used to love reading the AARs in the ASL Annuals. The Red Barricades AAR in Annual '91 was one of the best ever and served as an inspiration for many of the AARs we see today.

Priest

Reaction score
Good idea Don, most people probibly don't play VASL simply because they don't know how to. I know that this is true in my case.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm still a VASL Noob myself :) I have not yet been back into a corner where I needed the online option.

Think I will try to drag Dave Briggs over here, he has some savvy with VASL I think.

Dave Briggs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LestheSarge9-1f said:
I'm still a VASL Noob myself :) I have not yet been back into a corner where I needed the online option.

Think I will try to drag Dave Briggs over here, he has some savvy with VASL I think.
That's right Les. Dragging me kicking and screaming. Yet another forum. I have a tough time keeping up with the Matrix forum so I don't know how much I will be able to respond to here. But since ASL is such a great game I will try to answer any questions people might have.

So.....What up?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions Dave. We hope to see more of you around here.

For starters, I have messed with VASL a little, but I'm still trying to figure it all out. I see that there have been several different versions in the past (v3.0, v4, etc) and what I'm wondering is will any of the VASL scenario setups found on the www work with either version? If the scenarios have to be specific to one particular version how do we know which ones are good? What about maps?

Next, I see that some folks have created extra counters and custom units for VASL. How easy is it to install this stuff?

Dave Briggs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions Dave. We hope to see more of you around here.

For starters, I have messed with VASL a little, but I'm still trying to figure it all out. I see that there have been several different versions in the past (v3.0, v4, etc) and what I'm wondering is will any of the VASL scenario setups found on the www work with either version? If the scenarios have to be specific to one particular version how do we know which ones are good? What about maps?

Next, I see that some folks have created extra counters and custom units for VASL. How easy is it to install this stuff?
I guess I should answer this by saying that VASL is a work in continuous progress. It just keeps getting better and better. It started as a stand alone program called VASL (Virtual Advanced Squad Leader). Rodney Kinney, the creator, then decided to make the base program available for gamers to be able to create any module for any wargame. Thus, VASSAL was born. This ran not only the VASL module but any game module created. Rodney has brilliantly made this program very flexible so that new updates and modules can be easily upgradable. He is on the verge of releasing a new version that will allow plug-ins so players can more easily customize their VASL files to fit their individual needs.

Now, my best advice for everyone is to forget about thier old versions (or at least save them if you wish) and go to this link: http://www.vasl.org/ and download the current version because this will insure that everything you need is installed and up to date. Everything is there, including boards and scenarios. One of the reasons I suggest this is because the newest version includes a color coded line of sight tool which can only work with the boards available there. There are also a lot of really cool new features that I can't list here. The install routine is very simple and almost fool proof. Just follow the instructions. When you first run the new install it will ask a few questions so just click okay for now. You can change that info later. Make sure to go to the preferences menu and select where you have stored the boards. Otherwise the program won't be able to find them. I just stored mine in a subfolder called "Boards". Pretty simple, huh. Most of the functions are simply drag and drop and right clicking and left clicking. Experiment and you will probably be able to figure out most of it. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

As far as using older scenarios with the newer version, well, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure most scenarios should be backwards compatable. You should be able to run scenarios created from older versions but you can't run scenarios created in newer versions on older programs. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that's the way it is. Also, as an afterthought, be sure and check out the scenario download section. You will be amazed. Hundreds and hundreds of published scenarios. As a matter of fact, the best way to get to know the program is to run a downloaded scenario and play with that for a while. Might as well be "The Guards Counterattack", the one we all started with so long, long ago.

Using your own graphics is possible but I would highly recommend becoming familiar with the program before even thinking about that.

This is getting pretty long so I'll stop here. There is also a world of gaming available using the VASSAL program by itself to run any wargame or cardgame you care to take the time to create yourself. If interested ask me and I'll provide the link. I'd put it here now but I'm afraid I'll lose my text if I slip out of this site to get it. I think it might be listed on the VASL page at the link I provided above. Just look for the link to the VASSAL engine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Priest

Reaction score
@ Dave Briggs

While perusing another ASL forum I came upon a series of posts that suggested major differences between ASL boards and VASL boards. Can you tell us what those differences are and how they will effect game play?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dave might have a different answer, but I suspect the answer might be the original boards are artworks, while the VASL boards are computer generated images of those art works.

From what I have seen of them, the digital ones lose a tiny fraction of the subtly of detail that us fussy ASLers like so much.

I might be wrong though.

Priest

Reaction score
Hello Les, the reply suggested thier was more that aesthetic differences that these differences might affect game play.

Dave Briggs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
@ Dave Briggs

While perusing another ASL forum I came upon a series of posts that suggested major differences between ASL boards and VASL boards. Can you tell us what those differences are and how they will effect game play?
Les is partly right but there is a history to this. The first boards used when VASL first came out were more generalized. They had all the terrain and features but were more "schematic" looking. The current boards (the ones you can download from the site I provided above) look almost identical to the original boards. They obviously are not exact but look pretty damn good. In other words they look light years better than the first VASL boards but aren't photo copies of the actural cardboard boards that come with ASL. I think you are hearing from people who have or have used the original VASL boards. Believe me they are very nice and I guarantee you will not be dissapointed. As far as I'm concerned there is no difference when using these newer boards on the computer.

This brings up one of the problems with VASL. Some people apparently are refusing to upgrade to the more current and much more realistic VASL4 program and boards. That is why I strongly suggest that you download the most current version of VASL as provided by the link I gave above.

Dave Briggs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let me elaborate on just one of the unique qualities of the current VASL boards. There is now a color coded line of sight thread that only works with the current boards. It will not only show you if you are going through a hindrance or whether the LOS is blocked but it will tell you what and where that hindrance or blocking terrain is as well as the distance in hexes to the target hex. You just actually have to set this thing up and play with it to see how wonderful it is.

Not only that but there is a Terrain SSR editor that lets you use overlays, crop the playing area, change terrain and even displays the board in white when playing snow scenarios. Actually, these VASL boards allow you to do more to your playing area than the real boards do. For instance if the grain is plowed fields, then it looks like plowed fields. If fallow, then they dissapear and arn't seen. No more forgetting that grain isn't there. It even displays orchards without the green "leaves" when out of season. I'm telling you this thing is fantastic.

Priest

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dave, I have the new version of VASL and the boards look great to me. So when I read these posts I was wondering if I had missed something, glad to know that I won't get any nasty surprises when playing the newer version of VASL. I am looking forward to it now.

Last edited:

Dave Briggs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
Thanks for the reply Dave, I have the new version of VASL and the boards look great to me. So when I read these posts I was wondering if I had missed something, glad to know that I won't get any nasty surprises when playing the newer version of VASL. I am looking forward to it now.
Glad you got it up and running. Don't hesitate to fire off an email to Rodney Kinny if you want to ask the "father" of VASL a question. He's a great guy and will answer your email. His address is on the VASL home page.

And one more thing. At least send him an email to thank him for providing us ASL'ers with this fantastic and free software. If this software were only available on the market, I would easily pay $50+ for it. All of us owe him a great deal of praise and thanks.

Priest

Reaction score
I will send him a word of thanks, you are correct Dave he does deserve it. VASL has opened up a whole new dimension for ASL players.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Someone is probably going to throw eggs at my house for me saying this, but...In many ways I actually like the VASL boards better than the real thing. The abilty to drag overlays and mix the board so easliy, coupled with the other advantages that have already been mentioned, make this one of the best wargame add-ons I have ever seen. I would gladly pay for this program. You have to try it to see how good it is.

The best part is that it enables us to create our own maps without owning a printing shop. I really see the potential for some home grown maps and historical modues that are super high quality. When I get back from vacation I intent to spend some serious time looking at the VASL Map Cabal.

Priest

Reaction score
Well Don this program eliminates two of the biggest problem areas for ASLers. First set-up time, we used to spend an hour just looking for the correct counters now all you have to do is just set them up on the board. The second is travel kits, I have watched some ASLers carting thier ASL equipment on hand trucks. This is really a very good program.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just keeps on getting better to Priest, because remember, it isn't just ASL than uses software like this.

And they say boardgaming has no future hehe.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
Well I do have to admit that it isn't as fun as ftf play.
But the ability to have observers come in and watch the game is really cool. There is no doubt this one is going to have a solid future.

Is anyone working on any custom scenarios?