VASL Turret Modification

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Sparafucil3

Hi Jim,

Nearly all VASL counters are stored single layer with the background color. If you're interested you could unzip a duplicate VASL module and see the images as they are stored. They're in a folder called "Images". (Or go here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yudte4uynxa062j/AAB8_eyiM2nFTvN4CQJ8Mpx8a?dl=0 ). So your assumption is not true.

However, your question about using a transparent icon image with a separate and selectable background image is possible. I'm assuming you are alluding to the turret counters so I'll use one as an example (icon layer + base layer = finished counter)

15068 + 15065 = 15066

Using this approach a player could pick and choose a background color...even transparent if so desired. The icon layer could be modified (retain/delete the BU for example) and these modifications could be hard coded or with a little bit more work by your cabal, offered as a player selectable option.

Scaling a single counter is possibly an option. The trick here is that as you scale a counter, it's size changes. And as the size changes it's stacking alignment changes. I'd have to find a way around that.

So in general, what you're asking is possible. It'd be a lot of work to modify the whole VASL module but for singular occasions it could be done.

I haven't seen how Stew's achieved his turret marker changes but essentially I believe this is what he's done.

IMO, all the above is possible with an extension. Turret markers are placed by code; you don't go and grab a marker from the counter tray, place it, then rotate it (EXC: Generic Turret markers). Thus the option to use the transparent/current markers would depend on if the extension was activated by both players or not. I believe some code would have to change to offer this option within a game. That's possible I think but that's above my pay grade.

As a side note, I like what Stew's done with marking vehicle malfunctions. I see it is offered as an option in VASL 6.6.1. That's a win/win in my book.

Good questions Jim.

Al

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
As a side note, I like what Stew's done with marking vehicle malfunctions. I see it is offered as an option in VASL 6.6.1. That's a win/win in my book.
I haven't seen those yet. I have heard rumor of those. From what I have heard, I like them.

When it comes to coding, I defer to the people doing the work. I am trying to strike a balance between what's being asked for and what the existing functionality is. I do not like the proposal. I do not feel like those who disagree with the proposal should be banished to pulling a counter out of the tray when I can just use ctrl functionality today. What ever you come up with, I will live with. I am just hoping when it's all said and done, I can use the ctrl functionality and have a counter with a non-transparent background in play rather than having to pull it separately. Thanks for all you guys do. -- jim

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not truly hostile...I read a lot of questions, comments, etc. all about ASL.
ASL is a game of details, leaving out details that clear up any misconceptions of what's going on or cleans up the question is needed MOST of the time.

One well known personality, provided an example of where to rout to.
Provided an image.
Responses were "Rout Left"
He says " Enemies are off the board preventing the rout"
I expanded the board"
No WAY there was an LOS from ANY infantry unit on the entire rest of that part of the map.
Details were needed as many helpful responders said the same thing, but wasted their time because all of the pertinent information was NOT given.
So, not really Sour or Hostile, just overloaded with lack of information in many aspects of ASL comments.
Using MP for MF is another Gaff. But, I can understand that from new players.
All good

Honestly, if you can't see the difference at 100% zoom. It might be due to the size of your viewscreen.
What size monitor do you use? 15" 24" 27" 40"+?
Small monitors have an inherent disadvantage.
I also play mostly on 100%- 120%

Check these images. The outline is 3 pixels a bit intrusive and can go lower to 2 pixels.
ZOOM level has been provided.
This is getting closer to more workable I think. I agree that the red outline is too intrusive and it clashes with the nationality color. My eye is drawn to the red color but not to the graphic. Basically what I perceive when I see those screen shots is that red means something. I then must look closer to discern what the red is telling me. As a suggestion, how about an overlay approach to show crew status and a dot to show turret status. This is still a bit on the obtrusive side for my tastes but here's a quick example:

Color of the overlay can change to accommodate different users.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't seen those yet. I have heard rumor of those. From what I have heard, I like them.

When it comes to coding, I defer to the people doing the work. I am trying to strike a balance between what's being asked for and what the existing functionality is. I do not like the proposal. I do not feel like those who disagree with the proposal should be banished to pulling a counter out of the tray when I can just use ctrl functionality today. What ever you come up with, I will live with. I am just hoping when it's all said and done, I can use the ctrl functionality and have a counter with a non-transparent background in play rather than having to pull it separately. Thanks for all you guys do. -- jim

"First, do no harm" is part of the code we recite every morning at sunrise at the VASL Cabal :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That would be beta testing, which we know lacks participation as noted above.
No, that's not what I mean. I just think it is common sense - been burned too many times whenever Combat Mission got a patch or an upgrade, and I was in the midst of a PBEM. Often the old version and the new weren't compatible, so I kept two versions on my hard drive until all the PBEM in progress were finished, then I got rid of the "old" version, and agreed with my opponents going forward in advance only to use the "current" version.