VASL Turret Modification

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Stew, how can we get this extensions to test? We play VASL weekly, and while we love its usefulness, a lot of it is frustratingly archaic (graphically).

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
But since the problem is more complex I like to see a more comprehensive solution

I have to Include a Thanks for to you and all that continue to develop this really great software.
Do you have any ideas on this comprehensive solution?

Thanks for your comments!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I like to see how it will look in this type of setting View attachment 15036
Considering you don't play the game at this level of zoom, at least I hope to hell you don't or maybe I do...cuz your eyesight is so sharp to see all the details...you will have NO problem seeing the changes.

Maybe provide a more realistic picture of what you look at and I can REPLICATE that given a REAL game play situation...that would actually help instead of this unrealistic image.

Send me your VSAV file...
here

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I hope you leave both options..I still like the normal counters though.
You obviously are unfamiliar with the White generic turret markers that are far more useful than the existing "counter Turrets" as you can place them whereever you wish on the counter.

Maybe I should use these since no one seems to know they exist...

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
You obviously are unfamiliar with the White generic turret markers that are far more useful than the existing "counter Turrets" as you can place them where ever you wish on the counter.
I won't speak for Stu, but I personally know they exist and I know I can manually place them whenever I wish. I don't because ctrl+b is easy, I don't because ctrl+a and ctrl+s is easy. Within VASL, that's "normal" to me. If someone wants to replace all the country specific turret counters with the generic one, I could get behind that if it get's placed through the control key functionality. Dragging out the white counter is a pain compared to just knowing the keyboard shortcuts. I don't think it would make that much difference, but I am not coding it so I am not sure how hard it would be. Second, since I am not coding, I defer to the awesome people who are. I offer only a different perspective. As always, JMO. YMMV. -- jim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I always appreciate folks looking to improve VASL 'cause that's the only medium I play on. Quite honestly though, after the chatter on Discord and the exchange here, I don't see this as a proper solution. (.. and just 'cause the number of counters can (but don't usually) get unwieldy it doesn't mean we have to automatically accept any rig-up as a solution.)

Hey, I like the existing setup. (At best) make this an option and see if there's any uptake .. or better yet leave this to cook for a while and see if it bubbles up at some stage.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey .. make it an Extension. So people who want shadows/ smudges on their AFV can use it and people who wanna spin their turrets (without fishing out another counter) by CTRL-key can keep doing so. (My tank turret always stays ON the tank, not 40m to the side. Otherwise I will then have to LABEL the generic white turrets so as not to mix them up with other generic tank turrets that are all spinning 40m to the side.)

When I move the AFV, I want to move the AFV .. and not having to pause and to select both the AFV AND the generic turret counter before moving every time. Plus can you imagine what it will look like if my opponents and I both use WHITE generic turrets???

Appreciate the try though.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I hope you leave both options..I still like the normal counters though.
You like them covering your counters? Or you are simply used to then since you had no options?
There is a difference.

FtF where do you put your turrets? On top of the vehicle or off to the side/ mostly hanging off the counter.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
FtF where do you put your turrets? On top of the vehicle or off to the side/ mostly hanging off the counter.
That depends. When I play FtF I do it one of two ways: when the TCA aligns with the VCA, I place the counter on top; when the TCA and VCA to not align, I place it off-kilter so the barrel of the turret counter touches a vertex. In those instances more is hanging off than sitting on top of the AFV counter. -- jim

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't know how you would conduct a poll to reach a reasonable and statistically relevant sample of the VASL player base.
The most obvious and effective solution would be to run the poll in VASL on start up. Then everyone who is actually using VASL has the opportunity to respond. Since each user has a unique ID, the poll can be disabled once it has been completed by each user.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the effort, it is appreciated but....

To be honest, I don't see the problem with the current counters. If I have a question on a/an enemy/stack I can hover over it. I also don't see an issue getting confused as to what the vehicle counter is. I know what vehicles I and my opponent have in a scenario and I don't think I have ever lost track of who is who or what is what.

I would also want the old style left available for use with just Ctrl +B, I don't want any chance of missing a smaller or less "pronounced" CE/BU counter because it is less obvious. Like others, in FtF play I like to see the CE/BU counter on top of my vehicles.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I like the implementation of the turrets.

For CE/BU, I think a high visibility label (like you can add to SMC) would be just as effective. Put it in a contrasting colour (white for CE, grey for BU)?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is what happens right now when I play AFVs::

When it's my turn, I clearly see where all the turrets are pointing. If I decide to shoot, I click on the AFV counter and see my weapons (I red-circle the thing to tell my opponent which one's shooting anyway). If I want to move, I see the MPs when I click on the counter to move. When I move I am even more appreciative that I can clearly see where my opponent's turrets are pointing at, and whether it's CE or BU.

Plus of course I am happy that all the AFVs on the field are not all covered by white turrets. Better yet that all these turrets ain't somewhere on the side so I have to figure out which belongs to who. Bonus: Terrain's not unnecessarily covered by generic turrets (eg a LOS blocking building) .. etc.

Think User Workflow : when I am not interacting with individual AFV counters, I want to see clearly where all those turrets are pointing at and whether it's CE/BU. When I am interacting with individual AFV counters, I can click on the AFV counter and see everything right now anyway, hence I never feel it's an issue.

Last edited: