VASL Turret Modification

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If implemented into VASL, I hope they leave an option to remain as is. I prefer the current implementation to the one you're proposing here. -- jim

louis743

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the turret counters as proposed here. I do not like the iconography for the open topped and non-turreted tanks.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If implemented into VASL, I hope they leave an option to remain as is. I prefer the current implementation to the one you're proposing here. -- jim
I would rather be driven by user choice. If there is a clear favourite between the two options, let's go with that. If not, then we can think of how we might make it a Preference in VASL.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Can someone post an image here so I do not need to watch a video?

TIA

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I would rather be driven by user choice. If there is a clear favourite between the two options, let's go with that. If not, then we can think of how we might make it a Preference in VASL.
I am not programming VASL so I defer to those who are. They are volunteers and I respect their contributions immensely. I am just expressing a counter point to the video. WRT polling, I don't know how you would conduct a poll to reach a reasonable and statistically relevant sample of the VASL player base.

I would point out though, the system counters are available in the new way and the old way. I much prefer the old way as I play with VASL in 4 separate windows (controls, counters, server, and map). I have three 30" monitors on my desk so that flexibility in VASL allows me to take advantage of all of that screen room. When the counters are across the top of the map container, I map space to counters that can easily be placed on another screen. JMO, YMMV. Glad I am not a dev trying to thread this needle. -- jim

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Can someone post an image here so I do not need to watch a video?

TIA
Ya kinda miss the entire point
Double speed or skipping through take 8 min max.
Since you play ASL you are likely to have that time between your opponents phase and yours

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I like the turret counters as proposed here. I do not like the iconography for the open topped and non-turreted tanks.
You don't like the NT icons? Do you mean the way the look? I haven't changed the way they look. Please elaborate.
It's best to leave comments in the video as well since that is the source of you could. Others may have your views but afraid to share them

louis743

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You don't like the NT icons? Do you mean the way the look? I haven't changed the way they look. Please elaborate.
It's best to leave comments in the video as well since that is the source of you could. Others may have your views but afraid to share them
I guess iconography was not the term that I should have used. I think that the effect is too subtle. Looking at the counter, all I see is a white smudge in the upper left of the counter.

Also, how does this look if the counter was on a winterized map?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I guess iconography was not the term that I should have used. I think that the effect is too subtle. Looking at the counter, all I see is a white smudge in the upper left of the counter.

View attachment 15018

Also, how does this look if the counter was on a winterized map?
Subtle as in not knowing if you are CE or BU? when that "splotch" is on the corner of your counter in an area that usually is clear?
This is the reason why I used the WORST counters for the example.
SS counters are strictly "Frames"
Other nationalities will have their colors "off" the counter and will/should be more distinct.

Winterized boards are actually terrible boards to use regardless of this modification. They are PURE white and are rough on the eyes... BUT I have a variation I can try.
Perhaps for the SS counters a darker outline for them specifically.

VASL has no light gray/egg white/off white coloration...I've tried to modify them...I do not believe those colors are within the color palette.

LOL took me a bit to change to the winter boards as I never use them....LOL

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Turret appears to have no difference...CE could use a bit of highlight on the soldier.
Counter depiction is normally seen.
Of course, taking into account that the Stug is CT, ANY corner "CE" status can be seen directly on the counter...BUT I'll change to see the difference....

Good distinction on the winter boards...I despise the Winter boards color. VASL gods have allowed a background color for your VASL MAP window! THIS may change my opinion as the FULL screen won't be white!
Brilliant change for them to add.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Concerns for SMOKE on counter.
SMOKE does what its supposed to OBSCURE vision...and it does it in the game.
Placing the SMOKE beneath the counter...As what you should be doing anyway to see your units
you have no real clue the direction of the Turrent in the 2nd 3rd and 4th units...The first and last units are CLEAR.

This occurs in both "modes"
No claims were made to make ALL information available at 100% of the time...Just 90% of the time.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Images of Game board with units surrounding the CE SP gun...BOTH cases you can see that the STATUS is clear with units surrounding them except the second image.
The CE is obscured slightly when the SS CE status is clearly evident
COUNTER CLUTTER is what we are focusing on. 2nd image has a counter on the vertex of the 3 hexes...the SS counter eliminates that clutter "cleaning" up the battlefield.

15026 Same direction turret facing over the SMOKE. Stacked.

styrk

The open minded on
Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Can't say like this version of BU/CE Have a strong felling it will lost info on dens scenes CE/BU text most at least be included.
I thing turret cover arc will get to covered by other 5/8 counter if about or below if turret point into that hex. Think many used that "extra counter" to check turret - BU/CE if it's there if. if that "flag got lost" ....

When that said I see why this idea is looked at. but I think problem is more global level then just this problem. Counter management is sometimes now a magic skill.

I like to see some type of Grouping of counters (SW grouped with a SQ stay together and a CX stick) and view and actions that used that included Temporary shift . Transparent counters under LOS

I think you can get it working visually and that will make you think at this will work. but that is not why I don't like it. Think after some time in use most will see how very easy this way to show info can be overlooked, One and only one counter on top and info lost ;-) That extra counter is a flag

If info coverage's if main thing make the CE transperent

But since the problem is more complex I like to see a more comprehensive solution

I have to Include a Thanks for to you and all that continue to develop this really great software.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
View attachment 15024View attachment 15025

Images of Game board with units surrounding the CE SP gun...BOTH cases you can see that the STATUS is clear with units surrounding them except the second image.
The CE is obscured slightly when the SS CE status is clearly evident
COUNTER CLUTTER is what we are focusing on. 2nd image has a counter on the vertex of the 3 hexes...the SS counter eliminates that clutter "cleaning" up the battlefield.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Modifications to the CE BU Status.
I DO like the BU on the Nashorn...unobtrusive. ALthough, your labels will be blocked a little...Clicking on the counter will allow 100% clarity of the LABEL That was the point on leaving the obvious status Lettering off.

The SS counters have had highlighting upon the edges of the BU/CE status...improving upon that ugly ass counter.

Adding that same CE/BU status on a turret is VERY problematic. It will obscure or be lost on the counter and cover up various other information on the counter.

Images and color of various nationalities upon the map. Of course their positions aren't optimal.
The position of the turrets UPON the counter are limited. The French is as far as it can go. So if Turrets look better off the counter, the counter OVERLAY on the vehicle would needed to be adjusted...Not necessary for the information given in both examples...its very close to the same info based on position.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
View attachment 15022
Turret appears to have no difference...CE could use a bit of highlight on the soldier.
Counter depiction is normally seen.
Of course, taking into account that the Stug is CT, ANY corner "CE" status can be seen directly on the counter...BUT I'll change to see the difference....

Good distinction on the winter boards...I despise the Winter boards color. VASL gods have allowed a background color for your VASL MAP window! THIS may change my opinion as the FULL screen won't be white!
Brilliant change for them to add.
15030 Updated highlighted edges15031

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

Pulling the CE and BU DOWN from the corners. (the Images were not changed in position)

Look a bit messy on the Green and cleaner on the BLACK.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia

There are manually placed counters available for those that don't like the present counters OR the idea stated above.