VASL SSR month selection & board terrain transformations

Paulus Borgia

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Mac 10.15.6. No real problems with VASL 6.5.1 (on Vassal 3.2.17) except for this. Whenever I try to do a terrain SSR transformation of boards by month or other alteration (either when creating the scenario map or revising it later), it indicates that it is "working" but never finishes the task. I can't seem to SSR alter maps at all. Not sure why. I've had the same problem on VASL 6.6.0 (on Vassal 3.4.2); 6.6.0 is giving me all kinds of other issues, so I'm sticking with 6.5.1 for now. Java is all up to date, and everything else works well except this SSR function. Any advice?

Paulus Borgia

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For whatever reason, it seems I can't change the month, but it seems I can now alter some of the terrain features individually. I guess that's what matters most for purposes of scenario SSR.

Paulus Borgia

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, board 24 most recently. I’ve managed to work around most of the issue now. Just that pesky month won’t change.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can you be more specific about an SSR or month transformation that does not work. Changing to what month on what boards and expecting what to happen that doesn't?

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
6.6.0 is giving me all kinds of other issues, so I'm sticking with 6.5.1 for now. Java is all up to date, and everything else works well except this SSR function. Any advice?
Advice: Let us know what issues you're seeing with 6.6.0.

Paulus Borgia

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seemed to work around (non-SSR) issues I initially noticed with 6.6.0. Regarding the SSR, I think I can now make all required terrain transformations. The one thing that doesn't "stick" is the month change itself. It indicates "working" but the month never changes. When I make transformations element by element (e.g., snow, out of season orchard, etc.), no problem. So plenty functional for me now that I've gone element by element. The month not changing seems pretty minor. In my example, I was trying to change from the default June to December on board 24. This has happened on other boards too.

As a relative ASL newbie, I love VASL. Amazing work by all involved.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've seemed to work around (non-SSR) issues I initially noticed with 6.6.0. Regarding the SSR, I think I can now make all required terrain transformations. The one thing that doesn't "stick" is the month change itself. It indicates "working" but the month never changes. When I make transformations element by element (e.g., snow, out of season orchard, etc.), no problem. So plenty functional for me now that I've gone element by element. The month not changing seems pretty minor. In my example, I was trying to change from the default June to December on board 24. This has happened on other boards too.

As a relative ASL newbie, I love VASL. Amazing work by all involved.
In my 6.6.0, I open a new game with board 24 and select Terrain SSR. I change the month from June to December. This puts a check mark in the Orchards Out of Season check box. It changes the Grain dropdown to Out of Season. I click Apply and the "Working . . . " message shows up. I wait a few second, nothing else happens, I get bored and click Done. Then Finish on the board picker and then viola I see my map with the changes made. VASL can be finickity. Do your results vary?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Advice: Let us know what issues you're seeing with 6.6.0.
Did you see the post in the VASL6.6.0 released thread about the font size for the hex name text box? Could this have to do with the Labeler thing we worked on? Maybe we missed something?

Paulus Borgia

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, this is consistent with what I'm seeing now. The month itself doesn't change, but the changes the month entails seem to fire. Finicky, yes, but at least it seems to be working!

In my 6.6.0, I open a new game with board 24 and select Terrain SSR. I change the month from June to December. This puts a check mark in the Orchards Out of Season check box. It changes the Grain dropdown to Out of Season. I click Apply and the "Working . . . " message shows up. I wait a few second, nothing else happens, I get bored and click Done. Then Finish on the board picker and then viola I see my map with the changes made. VASL can be finickity. Do your results vary?

Paulus Borgia

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it never changes the month for me, although it seems the terrain adjustments get made, which is most important to me. Clarification: it will change to December while the SSR window is open, but whenever I go back to it, it says June again. All in all, a minor issue.

You mean it stays as June in the drop down? When I click on December the dropdown changes to December.

Last edited:

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, it never changes the month for me, although it seems the terrain adjustments get made, which is most important to me. Clarification: it will change to December while the SSR window is open, but whenever I go back to it, it says June again. All in all, a minor issue.
That is how it is supposed to work. I am pretty sure that when you reopen the Terrain SSR window all settings will appear with their default values even if you have previously changed them for your map. Reopening the window does NOT reset the map values so long as you don't click Apply again.

Paulus Borgia

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got it. Glad I can terraform.

That is how it is supposed to work. I am pretty sure that when you reopen the Terrain SSR window all settings will appear with their default values even if you have previously changed them for your map. Reopening the window does NOT reset the map values so long as you don't click Apply again.