VASL + Skype Themed Scenario Series with a difference

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Pretty much open to all time zones as I have the luxury of only working Monday to Thursday.

Hi all,

I'm looking for an opponent to partake in a themed series of scenarios set in the Eastern Front.
The theme is not so much Eastern Front, or indeed by publisher but is based on playing through
the designs of a single individual, in this case, Xavier Vitry of Le Franc Tireur.

The idea:

• Commit to one VASL + Skype session per weekend with an option of adding one PBeM log through the week but only if you are into PBeM.
  • Each player plays the same side throughout the series of 10 scenarios, in this case my opponent will be playing Germans.
  • All games count towards the ASL Ladder games and will be entered into ROAR.
  • VASL 5.9.3 with VASSAL 3.1.20

The scenarios (with Balance if both players are evenly matched) :

ROAR Stats as of October 21

• J093 (LFT 29) The Porechye Bridgehead with Soviet Balance ROAR: Sov 5 Ger 19
  • J102 (LFT 31) The Yelnya Bridge with Soviet Balance ROAR: Sov 32 Ger 44
  • J103 (LFT 32) Lenin's Sons ROAR: Sov 83 Ger 80
  • J104 (LFT 33) Flanking Flamethrowers with Soviet Balance ROAR: Sov 27 Ger 41
  • J105 (LFT 34) Borodino Train Station with Soviet Balance ROAR: Sov 37 Ger 67
  • J115 (LFT 35) Last Push to Mozhaisk with German Balance ROAR: Sov 40 Ger 26
  • FTC5 153 Nailed to the Ground ROAR: Sov 1 Spn 7
  • FTC5 155 Once Upon A Time...In The East ROAR: Sov 1 Ger 2
  • FTC6 165 Shopino Struggle with Soviet Balance ROAR: Sov 15 Ger 31
  • LFT 196 Spittelmarkt (balance to be determined if required) ROAR: Sov 2 Ger 7
Of these 10 scenarios, I have played all those published in the Journal except J093. I am currently about to start a game of FTC 196 as the Germans vs Blind Sniper.

If you have any suggestions or feedback, feel free to comment in this thread particularly if you feel the
Balance Provisions could do with some tweaking.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Pete,

J-093 ("The Porechye Bridgehead") will definitely need Soviet balance. Its a very tough ask for the Russians to win, given the quality of German SW, and the very late arrival of the cream of the Russian OoB (it will take 2-3 turns for the Engineer Support Coy to get through board 52). An ELR of 2 will facilitate a very, very cautious Russian advance, with little room for error. Kindling is also permitted, and a good German player may well utilize pyromania to make the tough Russian VCs downright impossible.

That's not to say that it isn't a fun scenario to play, but you might consider also prohibiting the Germans from lighting fires to give the Russian some kind of chance of winning.

John.

Snudl

Reaction score
Vitry? That guy's out in the sticks somewhere.

Knowing him, all the scenarios need the Soviet balance.

I would be willing to give this a try.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Vitry? That guy's out in the sticks somewhere.

Knowing him, all the scenarios need the Soviet balance.

I would be willing to give this a try.
Tim, if I recall correctly you have returned from La Belle France, so Colorado is Mountain time is it not? If so I am available to play Thursday and Friday evenings MST 7:30 -11:00 and Saturday MST from 3PM to 10PM,

Pete