VASL Server - Can't see anybody

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've heard from a few folks that the VASL 4 server has been tough to reach if you've got a firewall/router up. Well, I unplugged my router and plugged directly to my cable hookup, and still no dice.

Got Internet access no prob (as you can see), and I get into the VASL server - I can tell since I can see the messages posted. But I can't see anybody.

I'm running Win 98 SE, which I didn't think had any built in firewall like the newer versions. Got the newest VASL & VASSAL versions.

I can't imagine this would matter, but I'm running Sun 1.3.1 Java.

Anybody have any ideas?

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
You might try a few things....
Get java 1.4.1 - be sure you have latest vasl version 4.0.7 and vassal 1.1.8....
when you are at the server, try turning off LOS feature, or opening yer internet browser, sounds strange, but sometimes Ill be at the server and cant see anybody, Ill open my browser and poof, now I see people there.

hope this helps

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am running Java 1.3.7 on Windows SE and can usually see most people, and some times I can't see some people. I played OVHS with Steve and during our game he saw no one but me, yet I saw 5 other people in our room that had tried to sync to us.

I tried java 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 and neither works with my computer - the map is not displayed correctly, the VASL program locks up, etc. make sure you don't get rid of the older java version.

It typically takes some time before I can see people. I think there is a lag in the way the server figures out IP addresses. I also have shut down VASL and hours later my firewall complains about a multitude of traffic on the 5050 port. I suspect the server has somehow confused /retained my IP and started to send a bunch of stuff to me.