VASL Scenario Loading

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello. New to VASL. I've downloaded the VASSAL engine. I downloaded the VASL module. I'd like to play an offline scenario from SK#2. I got the proper map, but how to I open the scenario I want? I know it is out there because I found a list of scenarios someplace (on the VASL page I think) but can't get back to it.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Go to vasl.info and see if you can find it there. Otherwise you can create it yourself by first selecting the boards to create the map and then adding the units by selecting the counter palette and dragging on the required units.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. I stumbled around on my own and figured out how to pick a board and build an OOB. I thought a pre-made scenario would have the OOB/Map ready and save time.

I found the list of ASL/SK scenarios, and I downloaded the one I want. But when I try to open it in the VASL module, I get a message something like: "this was made with x.x version, are you sure you want to open it in y.y version? So I assume the scenario file (probably old) is not compatible with the VASL 6.6.1 module I'm using, which I assume the most recent.
At least that is my theory.

Well, at least I can load a map and build an OOB the slow way.
So I'm making progress.

However, I would like to watch a game in progress as a spectator, which I understand you can do. Still trying to figure that out.

Thanks again
Jack

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If the "made" version is over 6, you can probably answer "yes" and load the game. Worst that will happen is some things might look out of place.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yeah. I stumbled around on my own and figured out how to pick a board and build an OOB. I thought a pre-made scenario would have the OOB/Map ready and save time.

I found the list of ASL/SK scenarios, and I downloaded the one I want. But when I try to open it in the VASL module, I get a message something like: "this was made with x.x version, are you sure you want to open it in y.y version? So I assume the scenario file (probably old) is not compatible with the VASL 6.6.1 module I'm using, which I assume the most recent.
At least that is my theory.

Well, at least I can load a map and build an OOB the slow way.
So I'm making progress.

However, I would like to watch a game in progress as a spectator, which I understand you can do. Still trying to figure that out.

Thanks again
Jack
You probably found the lot of premade SK scenarios that have been made by the late Pat Ireland who had made it his mission to train newbies to SK or ASL. These have been created with an older version of VASL.

When prompted by the "this was made with x.x version, are you sure you want to open it in y.y version?"-message, you can select "yes". Then the old VASL file should open.

The old VASL file should be working with current versions of VASSAL / VASL (i.e. VASSAL v3.4.x and VASL v6.6.1).

As some counter functionalities were added after the creation of Pat Ireland's SK files, these will be lacking for the counters he has 'pulled' for his setups. This will probably mostly affect vehicles.

There is a function in VASL, that allows you to 'Refresh Conters' of older setups to the current version of VASL.
As the question how to do this comes up now and then, I have prepared a thread that explains the process by example in great detail here.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks again for your very helpful reply. I'll make another attempt using the advice you provided in the great thread you included.
Jack