VASL replays?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Don't try to use this with PBEM though. Those log file can--and often are--be interrupted by your opponent before it is complete. I do think a replay log file would be nice. I am not sure how you can easily insert "A fires a B", but if I could add in edits to the stream after the fact, that would be cool. I have tried a couple of times to find someone to do a replay log with me. It isn't easy as the work involved is non-trivial. -- jim

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stew - yes, I probably wasn't clear in what I was talking about. While I do like PDF Series Replays and Examples of Play, I'd also like to make it easier for people to package and edit logfiles in a way that could be easily stepped through (and if desired, narrated like you do) for online viewing on YouTube or downloading and playing through on their own VASL machine.

You're right that these things can be done now with a lot of pain and effort - that's why I think we need some new VASL abilities, to support content creation like you, ASLIRT, and IR do (and I'd like to do).

Since one might want to create a presentation (game walkthrough, Example of Play, tutorial, etc) from various existing logfiles, I think a logfile stitcher would be good. This might require time-stamping or uniquely tagging each event in the log.

Since one might want to annotate the game with on-map visuals (text boxes, arrows, etc) and audio/video clips, it would be good to enable content authors to easily insert and delete those things, to be played/displayed by VASL as one steps through the log file (which one might now think of as a script). This editing process could take place in an offline tool that would then be able to write VASL logfiles that could be stepped through, or it could be part of VASL itself, much like the VASSAL module editor works.

Since one might want to skip forward and backward to various points in the game, skipping the tedious parts, I think it would be good to implement a bookmark feature that the content author could use.

And since the e-ASLRB is inevitable, it would be nice to allow clickable links to that.

And while all that work is being done, it would be a shame to not include a simple html export to support creation of PDF content.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
While stitching together logfiles and putting together entire games as AARs is immensely exciting, especially from a coder/ creator point of view, it might be more sensible to consider/prototype this all from a consumer point of view.

How much of the ASL population will watch a VASL replay from beginning to end regularly, episode after episode?

Some might (again, need to prototype this conceptually). Others might prefer immersing in choice snippets and tactical highlights for a bit and go about their day. Worth getting a sense of the "return" and also to get a fix on the target audience profile just so you know how much to invest in such a venture.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jackson - Yes, I think the same tools that would enable creation of a full-game VASL replay would also be used to make smaller snippets more suitable for bite-sized creations. Do you see much difference in the end product, other than length? With a full-game logfile, that's why I think a bookmarking feature would be nice - to enable fast-forwarding to the good bits.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Regardless of the stitching part, imagine having high level annotated log files of the 2021 vasl semi-finals and finals. This kind of stuff could really lead to public analysis and would advance tactics far beyond what we have right now. There are so many scenarios that this kind of tactical review just gets lost amongst the hundreds of new scenarios that come out each year. No bad thing, of course, that we have so much to play, but we might be missing out on a lot of cool content that could be created if given the chance.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Stew - yes, I probably wasn't clear in what I was talking about. While I do like PDF Series Replays and Examples of Play, I'd also like to make it easier for people to package and edit logfiles in a way that could be easily stepped through (and if desired, narrated like you do) for online viewing on YouTube or downloading and playing through on their own VASL machine.

You're right that these things can be done now with a lot of pain and effort - that's why I think we need some new VASL abilities, to support content creation like you, ASLIRT, and IR do (and I'd like to do).
AHhhhhhhh

OK.... I get it....
Creating OPTIONS to automate your description would be fantastic.
Although it "could" be done. I think the difficulty of such is Riddled with a lot of variables.

BUT I do understand what DIRECTION you want to go....at least I THINK I do....LOL

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Regardless of the stitching part, imagine having high level annotated log files of the 2021 vasl semi-finals and finals. This kind of stuff could really lead to public analysis and would advance tactics far beyond what we have right now. There are so many scenarios that this kind of tactical review just gets lost amongst the hundreds of new scenarios that come out each year. No bad thing, of course, that we have so much to play, but we might be missing out on a lot of cool content that could be created if given the chance.

This is EXACTLY what I've requested of some TD's to have in their VASL ONLINE games which are played in ONE LOG file.
The issue here is, ignorance of the VASL interface, (just one more thing to do) etc.
I've received a couple of Log files from some games in the tournament I participated in, but not enough to show "THE BIG PICTURE" ..... I wanted to show the Winner as he's played through his games, EACH and EVERY move in EVERY game...

This would create "The Road to GROFAZ" sort of feel...unfortunately. no.
The next step after would be RECORDING the audio of the game. Again, not a technically difficult task. BUT, "teaching old dog new tricks" comes to mind.

I have seen the INCREDIBLE potential of simple logfiles in Molding better ASL play. But, again.
Step 1. Too much work to do it. "I'd rather just Play"
Step 2. Failure of project.

I don't have the "clout" to "force" players to do this ...only request.

I will likely Run an ASLSK online tournament in the "near" future.
Requiring all of this.
Its a plan that needs planned out.
The potential to elevate the masses is exponential.