VASL PTO League 2019 1st Round Matchups

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,
You have all received emails with the matchup info below. If you did not get that email, please email me or contact me through IM here and we will figure out what went wrong. All is explained in the email, so good luck and good gaming. Enjoy.
Carl

PTO Round 1 January 4th through April 30th

Jim Fradette vs Jim Traver

Scott Holst vs Randy Rossi

Will Willow vs Randy Shurtz

Pierce Mason vs John Knowles

Jim Hunter vs Aaron Cleavin

Kevin Killeen vs Victor Rosso

John Bock vs Jean-Francois Fortin

Kevin Russell vs Alex Koestler

Round 2 May 1st through July 31st

Round 3 August 1st through October 31st

Round 4 November 1st through February 29th

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Pierce and I have agreed to play WO-16 "Wildcat Strike".

Pierce has the defending Japanese, whilst I have the attacking Americans. We should be kicking off this weekend.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Pierce and I have agreed to play WO-16 "Wildcat Strike".

Pierce has the defending Japanese, whilst I have the attacking Americans. We should be kicking off this weekend.

John.
Thanks John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A note for players, I do report these results to ROAR. So please let me know what you guys are playing and which sides, as John did above. Thanks.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Traver and I will be playing Children of the Kunai. I've got the attacking Aussies, he's got the Japanese. No balance. Thanks for running the league again, Carl.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim Traver and I will be playing Children of the Kunai. I've got the attacking Aussies, he's got the Japanese. No balance. Thanks for running the league again, Carl.
My pleasure Jim. Do you happen to have the scenario number on that one? I believe there are a couple of versions out there.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Randy Rossi and I will be playing DftB 99 Gin Drinkers Line with Randy getting the Brits and me playing the japs. A classic DftB action that I look forward to playing.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Randy Rossi and I will be playing DftB 99 Gin Drinkers Line with Randy getting the Brits and me playing the japs. A classic DftB action that I look forward to playing.
Thank you Scott.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy Rossi and I finished up our game. Randy won on turn 4 of a seven turn scenario, We decided on playing WO 26 Pheonix Rising. With 26 537 squads and only three hexes away from possible guns. My Japanese quickly crumbled even though I inflicted 8 or 9 squad casualties, there was just too many squads to fight off. A horribly unbalanced scenario but A great Opponent. Thanks for the Game Randy.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy Rossi and I finished up our game. Randy won on turn 4 of a seven turn scenario, We decided on playing WO 26 Pheonix Rising. With 26 537 squads and only three hexes away from possible guns. My Japanese quickly crumbled even though I inflicted 8 or 9 squad casualties, there was just too many squads to fight off. A horribly unbalanced scenario but A great Opponent. Thanks for the Game Randy.
Thanks for the report Scott. I have posted it up on ROAR and in the league for you guys.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Pierce and I finished up our game of WO-016 "Wildcat Strike" earlier today (his Friday evening, my Saturday morning).

It was a brutal affair, with both sides taking very heavy infantry losses. But it played right until the final CCPh, with the Americans having 12 VPs vs 6 Japanese units, 4 bonus VPs, and 2 unaccounted for (the HIP 47L AT crew). Since the Americans needed to have more VPs, I advanced a 666 squad to take on one Japanese crew, but as it turns out, the last HIP crew was in a jungle hex on the map corner, covering a flank that the AFVs managed to avoid for the whole game. So that meant that I had 10 vs 8, with a CC to resolve.

Unfortunately for my Americans, the squad got ambushed and eliminated, leaving us dead even on VPs (10 each) with my CVP total at 25 (Americans lose if exceed 25), meaning that my Americans lost by the narrowest of margins. A really great game that went right to the very end. Top shelf entertainment value against an absolute gentleman of an opponent.

Thanks to Pierce for a very, very enjoyable game. Best of luck for the rest of the way, too.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pierce and I finished up our game of WO-016 "Wildcat Strike" earlier today (his Friday evening, my Saturday morning).

It was a brutal affair, with both sides taking very heavy infantry losses. But it played right until the final CCPh, with the Americans having 12 VPs vs 6 Japanese units, 4 bonus VPs, and 2 unaccounted for (the HIP 47L AT crew). Since the Americans needed to have more VPs, I advanced a 666 squad to take on one Japanese crew, but as it turns out, the last HIP crew was in a jungle hex on the map corner, covering a flank that the AFVs managed to avoid for the whole game. So that meant that I had 10 vs 8, with a CC to resolve.

View attachment 7317

Unfortunately for my Americans, the squad got ambushed and eliminated, leaving us dead even on VPs (10 each) with my CVP total at 25 (Americans lose if exceed 25), meaning that my Americans lost by the narrowest of margins. A really great game that went right to the very end. Top shelf entertainment value against an absolute gentleman of an opponent.

Thanks to Pierce for a very, very enjoyable game. Best of luck for the rest of the way, too.

John.
Got this result guys. Recorded in the League and on Roar. Looks like quite a barn burner.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been quiet out here in the jungle boys, any progress reports?

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
Will Willow's Japanese will be taking on Randy's Gurkhas in ASL156 Broken Bamboo. Kickoff TBD.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a short game, Jim Fardette's Australians overran Jim Traver's Japanese in Children of the Kunai. With artillery falling, half his order of battle eliminated and a broken MMG, Jim decided to fall on his sword after he yahtzeed a CC casualty reduction roll rather than spend more time fighting such an uphill battle. The dice were very unkind to say the least, but Jim remained cheerful until the end. I look forward to playing him again when the the six sided monsters are more balanced.