VASL problem

SteveG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, Im new here, so I hope this isnt the wrong place for this. I have VASL version 6. Both my opponent and I have trouble getting the los tool to snap on the center dot, it wants to bounce all over the hex. I tried working with the settings, but nothing works. Any ideas?
Thank you
Steve

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The LOS tool doesn't work presently.
Use a ruler or paper edge on your screen.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hello, Im new here, so I hope this isnt the wrong place for this. I have VASL version 6. Both my opponent and I have trouble getting the los tool to snap on the center dot, it wants to bounce all over the hex. I tried working with the settings, but nothing works. Any ideas?
Thank you
Steve
I am pretty sure there was a time when the LOS snapped to the center dot. I'd like to know a fix for this, too.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Which settings did you try? There is only one that I know of in Preferences "Snap Thread to grid?"

Which map where you using? I just tried stringing LOS on board 6 and it was snapping just fine.

Which version of VASSAL (I'm using 3.2.15) and VASL (I'm using 6.3.1) are you using?

And Swiftandsure, stop spreading dem lies! =P

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Which settings did you try? There is only one that I know of in Preferences "Snap Thread to grid?"

Which map where you using? I just tried stringing LOS on board 6 and it was snapping just fine.

Which version of VASSAL (I'm using 3.2.15) and VASL (I'm using 6.3.1) are you using?

And Swiftandsure, stop spreading dem lies! =P
I am not lying.
And you very well know that the LOS tool doesn't work, as you did particpate in the following thread on the question:
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?125232-LOS-problems-with-6-3-0

So, who is the liar?

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

SteveG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for the welcome. Having spent much time on the internet, I feel right at home! Thanks as well for the answers. VASL 6.3.0 and VASSAL 3.2.15

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hey, I simply answered to a PA by pointing to factual evidence.
To he clear, I also cannot make the LOS tool work on my VASL 6.3.0 version (6.3.1 is in beta status and, after the thread referred to, presents the same problem).
I am the first to be astonished by zgrose libeling me as liar.
I may be wrong, of course, but I did my best to answer the OP after what I know of the problem.
I don't see what on Earth would lead me to lie on that topic - and, as much as some people here don't like me, I don't think that it is because I would have the reputation of lying.
I think that it is the first time that zgrose attacked me.
I still don't understand why he felt the urge to act that way.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thank you for the welcome. Having spent much time on the internet, I feel right at home! Thanks as well for the answers. VASL 6.3.0 and VASSAL 3.2.15
Not per se regarding this, but get VASL 6.3.1.

What is your current setting under File, Preferences, LOS, Snap Thread to grid?

JR

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got VASSAL 3.2.14 and VASL 6.3.0. Snapping-to-grid is working just fine for me. Does which mapboard you have matter? I got mine from the VASL site a few days ago, so maybe that is it?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
First of all: VASL v6.3.0 has many flaws. Switch to v6.3.1 (which is still "beta") or keep with v6.2.2 (yet still the latest "official" release).

IIRC even if you checked the "Snapping to grid" option in the Preferences somewhere, it does not work under certain circumstances - at least that was true for some past version of VASL - not sure if it has been fixed in v6.3.1:

- If overlays are used.
- If boards are cropped in a certain manner (basically two possibilities: to next (full) hex or to next centerdot). One of them does not work I *think*.

I am too lazy to look it up, but it has been discussed somewhere in the VASL section of this forum. Try some seaches using google and the query

site:forums.gamesquad.com "<what you might think is best suited to the matter>"

That works better than the inherent search function of the forum.

von Marwitz

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm using VASL 6.3.1 and VASSAL version 3.2.15. LoS snap to grid and verbose LoS working perfectly.

Paul

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
- If boards are cropped in a certain manner (basically two possibilities: to next (full) hex or to next centerdot)
I checked my VASL 6.3.0, and LOS checks work with uncropped boards, but indeed when cropped to "next full hex", I cannot align the LOS "thread" from hex center dot to hex center dot.
After the thread I refered to, it doesn't seem that version 6.3.1 has fixed the problem yet.
At least that is what David Sullivan said on January 15.
We're working on it. -Sully

SteveG

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I checked my VASL 6.3.0, and LOS checks work with uncropped boards, but indeed when cropped to "next full hex", I cannot align the LOS "thread" from hex center dot to hex center dot.
After the thread I refered to, it doesn't seem that version 6.3.1 has fixed the problem yet.
At least that is what David Sullivan said on January 15.
Yes, this is the case for us. I have tried checking and unchecking Snap To Grid. Thank you all!
Steve

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
To he clear, I also cannot make the LOS tool work on my VASL 6.3.0 version (6.3.1 is in beta status and, after the thread referred to, presents the same problem
I may be wrong, of course, but I did my best to answer the OP after what I know of the problem.
I don't see what on Earth would lead me to lie on that topic - and, as much as some people here don't like me, I don't think that it is because I would have the reputation of lying.
Failing to snap in some very specific situations is very far from "the LOS tool is not working". It would be akin to saying cars are non functional because yours doesn't start. Not only that but there was a big smiley at the end of the line to convey the light hearted nature of the comment.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To he clear, I also cannot make the LOS tool work on my VASL 6.3.0 version (6.3.1 is in beta status and, after the thread referred to, presents the same problem).
If you honestly believe people here "don't like you", which I have no idea if there's any truth to that assertion, maybe it's due to your complete overreaction to a seemingly harmless comment obviously made in jest. This is a forum dedicated to a game, maybe turn the dramatics down a notch or two.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Failing to snap in some very specific situations is very far from "the LOS tool is not working". It would be akin to saying cars are non functional because yours doesn't start. Not only that but there was a big smiley at the end of the line to convey the light hearted nature of the comment.
I know that communication on forums can be complicated. I indeed didn't grasp the humour in your post.

The fact is that there is a non yet solved problem with the LOS tool and that the VASL programmers are still working on it to solve it.
The LOS doesn't work in many cases, when the boards are cropped - and as many scenarios have cropped boards, I indeed thought that the problem was constant (but if you read the following posts I made, I think I spotted the more precise situations where it doesn't work).
Now, if VASL works perfectly for you, you can implement the thread I was referring to with the solutions to the problem, as you took part in the discussion already.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If you honestly believe people here "don't like you", which I have no idea if there's any truth to that assertion, maybe it's due to your complete overreaction to a seemingly harmless comment obviously made in jest. This is a forum dedicated to a game, maybe turn the dramatics down a notch or two.
I have been on GS for thirteen years now, and there certainly is a small number of people who don't like me here.
That's life.
Your putting the blame on me for that state of affairs is at the best unlearned, so I leave you with your judgement.
I think that most people here have positive interactions with me, or at least casual ones.

I didn't grasp zgrose's "jest" (which was not obvious for me) and I certainly don't like to be called a liar.
There are many ways to communicate, which can avoid ambiguities.
I don't think that I overreacted, as I simply gave a factual answer, which IMO showed that I was not inventing a problem which is currently been worked on by the VASL programmers.

I now consider the case closed.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been on GS for thirteen years now, and there certainly is a small number of people who don't like me here.
That's life.
Your putting the blame on me for that state of affairs is at the best unlearned, so I leave you with your judgement.
I think that most people here have positive interactions with me, or at least casual ones.

I didn't grasp zgrose's "jest" (which was not obvious for me) and I certainly don't like to be called a liar.
There are many ways to communicate, which can avoid ambiguities.
I don't think that I overreacted, as I simply gave a factual answer, which IMO showed that I was not inventing a problem which is currently been worked on by the VASL programmers.

I now consider the case closed.

Oh, well, if you consider it closed, then by all means it's closed. You take yourself far, far too seriously.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Oh, well, if you consider it closed, then by all means it's closed. You take yourself far, far too seriously.
<shrug> I simply wanted to say that, for me, we can move on. <shrug>