VASL Para Drop/Glider League 2017-2018 in progress

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My Allies defeated Will Willow's Germans in the bottom of the 6th inning in ESG82 (Last of its Kind).

My fighter-bombers took out the two Rhine Support gun crews (a double-break and a K), vectoring in from the NW off-board corner. Since I had focused on his other Guns from the start of the game, I had fulfilled VC #2, and he had no movement left to reclaim and man any Guns. In case the fighter-bombers failed, I had Controlled 4 bridge hexes as a backup plan (VC #3) but I was not looking forward to having to roust his 2 full squads hiding in the 44R7 woods to fulfill VC #3. Plus, he had squeezed a halftrack through a hail of bullets to 44EE6, but I only had to engage him in CC to make it non-Good Order.

I'd play it again. It's a swirling, messy affair, with a para-drop, then gliders loaded with vehicles etc, then the fighter-bombers. Lots of small battles spread all over the place.

And user "jrv" got us a Perry Sez ruling on what happens to glider contents when they're shot up on the ground. (Use the Survival procedure for the LVT4, US Vehicle Note 51. Talk about obscure!)
See http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/gliders-with-vehicles.132151/

I enjoyed playing Will, and wish him all the luck in the next round.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Plus, he had squeezed a halftrack through a hail of bullets to 44EE6, but I only had to engage him in CC to make it non-Good Order.
Thanks for the write-up! I'm sure Carl will stop by in the morning and correct me if I'm wrong, but per the quote above, I always thought the following..... (among other conditions) a Personnel unit/inherent crew held in Melee is not Good Order [A.7].....a mobile AFV is never held in Melee [A11.7].....so, a mobile AFV in Melee remains in Good Order. Have I been interpreting this wrong? Does the AFV have to be BU to qualify as such?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the write-up! I'm sure Carl will stop by in the morning and correct me if I'm wrong, but per the quote above, I always thought the following..... (among other conditions) a Personnel unit/inherent crew held in Melee is not Good Order [A.7].....a mobile AFV is never held in Melee [A11.7].....so, a mobile AFV in Melee remains in Good Order. Have I been interpreting this wrong? Does the AFV have to be BU to qualify as such?
That is correct. An AFV is not held in melee, so it would have still been good order.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Allies defeated Will Willow's Germans in the bottom of the 6th inning in ESG82 (Last of its Kind).

My fighter-bombers took out the two Rhine Support gun crews (a double-break and a K), vectoring in from the NW off-board corner. Since I had focused on his other Guns from the start of the game, I had fulfilled VC #2, and he had no movement left to reclaim and man any Guns. In case the fighter-bombers failed, I had Controlled 4 bridge hexes as a backup plan (VC #3) but I was not looking forward to having to roust his 2 full squads hiding in the 44R7 woods to fulfill VC #3. Plus, he had squeezed a halftrack through a hail of bullets to 44EE6, but I only had to engage him in CC to make it non-Good Order.

I'd play it again. It's a swirling, messy affair, with a para-drop, then gliders loaded with vehicles etc, then the fighter-bombers. Lots of small battles spread all over the place.

And user "jrv" got us a Perry Sez ruling on what happens to glider contents when they're shot up on the ground. (Use the Survival procedure for the LVT4, US Vehicle Note 51. Talk about obscure!)
See http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/gliders-with-vehicles.132151/

I enjoyed playing Will, and wish him all the luck in the next round.
Ok guys, I will post this up on both ROAR and the League.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Kevin Killeen and I concluded our game of ASL-036 "Rachi Ridge" this evening.

We were playing with British balance in effect, so it was an 11 turn game.

Going into tonight's session, I held the upper hand, but nonetheless, Kevin wreaked plenty of damage in the last few turns. But there were too many strongpoints to silence, and when his Op-firing MMG stack in 25I2 got silenced, there was no real way left for the British to do the job.

ASL-036-Brit-11-DFPh-jpeg.jpg

From the get go, I was mindful of the SAN 7 and Level A Booby Traps, and gave up several decent shots. I also skulked as much as I could, too. 11 turns is a long time to hold out, and a lot can go wrong. Despite this, I still did my part to help out the British by rolling some boxcar MCs and rallies, but I also had a number of HOBs, which in the end generated 5 heroes - all of which were surviving at the time that we called it a day.

A great fun scenario to play. Board 25 is a good workout for one's LOS perception. Thanks for a fun game, Kevin.

John.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl
Nate Stapf and Paul Schaeffer just concluded BB4, A Desperate Affair. My (Paul) Germans had a perfect drop (i.e. perfect luck), landing between the board edge through one hex out of his range in all 4 drops. Nate's Brits didn't get a single shot at a chute and it was just mop up after that.
Nate taught me how to play this damn game 30 years ago and this was our first 'official' meeting, so here's hoping everyone works him over just as hard moving forward (JK)!

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is correct. An AFV is not held in melee, so it would have still been good order.
Agreed. Except that VC3 includes the following: "German AFVs are considered Good Order only with functioning MA and mobile and not in CC or Shocked."
Hence my confidence.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. Except that VC3 includes the following: "German AFVs are considered Good Order only with functioning MA and mobile and not in CC or Shocked."
Hence my confidence.
Ah, SSR trumps all.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,
Please see the details for round three below. This is a four month round, due to the Holidays. Thanks.

Round Three

11/01/2017 to 02/28/2018

2-0 Bracket

Paul Schaeffer vs James Taylor

Randy Rossi vs Paul Logger

1-1 Bracket

Larry Flaherty vs Peter-James Palmer

John Knowles vs Nate Staph

Stephen Knippel vs Randy Strader

0-2 Bracket

Will Willow vs Mike Augustine

Kevin Killeen vs Carl Nogueira (fill in)

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Nate Staph and I have agreed to play A-085 "Airborne Samurai". Nate gets the air-landing Japanese, whilst I get the airstrip defending Dutch. Japanese balance will be in effect.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Nate Staph and I have agreed to play A-085 "Airborne Samurai". Nate gets the air-landing Japanese, whilst I get the airstrip defending Dutch. Japanese balance will be in effect.

John.
Thanks John. So logged.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Nate and I concluded our game of A-085 "Airborne Samurai" this evening (morning for him). Nate enjoyed a pretty good landing, and the Japanese FBs (which by help of the balance arrived turn 1) tormented me throughout the game. But my Dutch fought with plenty of ferocity, especially in CC. In my last APh, I moved 5 MMCs adjacent to the airstrip, and in the CCPh, another squad withdrew out of melee to make it 6 MMCs adjacent, which Nate felt was simply too much to overcome, and conceded.

A-085-ALM-06-CCPh-jpeg.jpg

An enjoyable scenario; pro-Allied for sure, but with Japanese balance, its a pretty decent and very entertaining contest.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recorded in the league and on ROAR. Thank you gentlemen.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Schaeffer vs James Taylor and Larry Flaherty vs Peter-James Palmer, I am still waiting for those results. I spoke with Jim tonight and know they are close. Peter and Larry, if you guys already reported, my apologies, but please re-post again. I will send out a followup email shortly. Thanks, Carl.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, still sorting out the outstanding games. One has concluded. The other I am still checking on.
Thanks.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here you go boys. Enjoy. Copy of the Round 4 email below.

Gentlemen,
Only eight people still playing going into the final round. Jim Taylor and Paul Lauger will be playing each other in the final round.

Round Four
Ends 05/31/2018

Championship Match
James Taylor vs Paul Lauger

2-1
Randy Rossi vs Kevin Killeen
John Knowles vs Randy Strader

Under .500 Group
Stephen Knippel vs Nate Staph

Thanks for playing guys,
Carl

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Randy Strader and I just concluded out game of BFP-057 "Last Drop".

My Japanese dropped mostly on board 48 without too many losses, and the battle quickly divided into 2 main areas; the board 48 crossroads and the east side of the airstrip. My goal from the beginning was to try and break American squads, rather than try and CC them, and this path became especially fruitful after Randy unfortunately malfunctioned both the HMG and AA gun in the same phase. My Japanese gained the upper hand at that point, and never really lost it. By the end of my turn 4 CCPh, I had 26 VPs, plus 2 more for building control, and it really looked like the Japanese were certain to take and hold at least 3 board 48 buildings. At that point, Randy called it a day, giving my Japanese the victory.

BFP-057-Ami-04-RPh-gif.gif

A fun scenario to play. Lots of action right from start to finish. It's a real asset for the Japanese to be able to drop with their LMGs; some readily available FP instead of scrounging around. It was a pleasure to meet and play Randy, too. If we cross swords next year, it'll be his turn for a jump.....

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi John, thanks for the report. Recorded in the league and on ROAR.