VASL Para Drop/Glider League 2017-2018 in progress

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This League is now full. Sixteen entrants. This will take place over four rounds, three month per round, except for an extra month for the round that runs through the Holidays. Just need one player to provide his email and we will be ready to go.
Carl

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All right guys. We are good to go. Look for the matchups either later this early AM here on the East Coast or later today. Thanks and enjoy gents.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Round One

03/05/2017-06/30/2017

Round Two

07/01/2017-10/31/2017

Round Three

11/01/2017-02/28/2018

Round Four

03/01/2018-05/31/2018

Round One Matchups

John Knowles Vs Peter-James Palmer

Will Willow Vs Paul Logger

Pierce Mason Vs Randy Rossi

James Taylor Vs Steffen Knippel

Curt Schilling Vs Larry Flaherty

Nate Stapf Vs Randy Strader

Ed Barnes Vs Mike Augustine

Kevin Killeen Vs Paul Schaeffer

Let me know what you are playing and which side at your earliest convenience please. Thanks guys, enjoy.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
John Knowles and I are playing the re-re-issued T12/201 Hunters from the Sky. John and I probably played this in our SL-GI days almost 30 years ago, but memory has failed us both.
Background: Hunters From the Sky was originally issued as Scenario I from a set of 5 COI tourney scenarios published in Genreal Magazine Voil 17/2 the Crescendo of Doom cover issue.
I'd owned SL and COI already and COD arrived in NZ a couple of months before the General did (my second issue) but not really played. It was a combination of these 5 scenarios and the Scenario Replay of Niscemi-Biscari Highway (E, then T9 now 178) that hooked me for good.

John is playing the defending Germans and I have the modified lottery that is the paradrop. Good fun. We are starting in about 30-45 minutes on vasl

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
John is playing the defending Germans and I have the modified lottery that is the paradrop. Good fun. We are starting in about 30-45 minutes on vasl
5 turns of 10 in. A great landing for the Americans (a bazooka drifted off-board to be permanently lost, but everybody else landed onboard without a scratch). No confirmation of where the "Assembly Point" is ...... although I've got a pretty good hunch. ASL-201-Ami-06-RPh-jpeg.jpg

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Peter and I concluded our game of ASL-201 "Hunters From The Sky".

The successful American landing allowed Peter to be aggressive, and the Germans and Americans attacked and counterattacked each other from all directions. To break meant almost certain death via FTR. But in spite of my Germans coming off 2nd best in the mauling, I guessed the Assembly point correctly, and positioned myself for some last turn heroics. The StuG IIIG crashed into the cellar, but created a surviving crew (which eventually broke, but tied up the defending 747 to allow my 9-1, lmg/467 to get adjacent and deliver a NMC in AFPh. The 747 survived, and hung on in the CCPh to give Peter's Americans the win.

ASL-201-Ger-10-CCPh-jpeg.jpg

The dice were pretty even-steven throughout, although getting a good landing gave Peter a greater share of the strategic initiative. Pretty cool how the game went right to the very end......

Congrats on the win, Peter. Best of luck for the rest of the way, too.

John.

PS: Carl - as of now, there are no results on ROAR for this scenario. Please waste no time in reporting this one to ROAR, so that we may be the first to do so !!! :)

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PS: Carl - as of now, there are no results on ROAR for this scenario. Please waste no time in reporting this one to ROAR, so that we may be the first to do so !!! :)

Me, not a report a result to ROAR immediately???!!! It is indeed reported and logged in the League as well. Congratulations on what sounds like it was a great game as well as popping this scenarios ROAR cherry.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening,

Randy Rossi's Dutch defeated my IJA Para's in a tightly fought contest in BFP 39 "Langoan Airfield."
There were two key actions that helped the Dutch. First one, and the two Dutch HS's should be
awarded the highest Dutch medal for valour, held up and fought tenaciously for a single building
on the West End of the Airfield. By the time my IJA Para's eliminated these two HS's, they were
not in a position to assist in the final assualts on the Dutch Pillboxes. The second action that is
worth mentioning, was the elimination in HtH combat of 2 x IJA 448's by a 7-0 and Green Squad
in a Pillbox. Rules reminder .. no HtH vs a Pillbox. My IJA rolled a 10 and Randy's Dutch rolled a 3. Another fun scenario from BFP's
"Blood And Jungle." Great opponent and looking forward to our Desert League match up next Tuesday
evening.

Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's in there. Both on ROAR and in the League.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin Killeen and Paul Schaeffer played 'YASL 10, Dropping Topside.
Kevin played the Americans and Paul the Japanese.
Even though the first American shot of the game was a critical mortar hit on the AA and the first Japanese shot was a 6,6 on a captured .50cal MG, the drops were a total disaster, every squad was either eliminated or landed broken. I foolishly shot a broken 747 and made it fanatic, but the rest were easily mopped up. The rest was a little tense, but the Japanese ended up with plenty of FP on the VC hex and took the win.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin Killeen and Paul Schaeffer played 'YASL 10, Dropping Topside.
Kevin played the Americans and Paul the Japanese.
Even though the first American shot of the game was a critical mortar hit on the AA and the first Japanese shot was a 6,6 on a captured .50cal MG, the drops were a total disaster, every squad was either eliminated or landed broken. I foolishly shot a broken 747 and made it fanatic, but the rest were easily mopped up. The rest was a little tense, but the Japanese ended up with plenty of FP on the VC hex and took the win.
Thanks for the report guys. Recorded in the League and on ROAR.

D

Deleted member 22141

Mike Augustine and Ed Barnes played G39 A Desperate Affair with Mike taking the Fallschimjager and Ed taking The Black Watch. The dice decided to NOT play ASL and instead had Mike's paras reenact the actual drop by dropping them directly over Ed's Scots. Mike gamely fought it out over six turns but this was over in the first turn. It was a bloodbath. Turn one saw well over half the drop killed, captured or broken. By turn six all the turn one Germans were gone and the turn three drop was fighting to hold onto two hills on board 16. Mike was a great sport but this was not fun at all for him. ROAR has this one three different ways depending on who and where it was published. BB 4 has it as 12 Brit to 11 German. G39 (the one we played) has it as 3 German to 4 Brit. When it was republished in FKaC as 97 it dropped to 10 Brit to 2 German. By the end of it we were scratching our heads as to how the German could pull this one off. Mike is a great opponent and I'm looking forward to giving him his opportunity for revenge in the CG league!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the report Ed. That is the way it goes with Para Drops. If the sticks come down in the worst of all places, it get's over, real quick. Recorded in the League and I will post it up on ROAR.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the report Ed. That is the way it goes with Para Drops. If the sticks come down in the worst of all places, it get's over, real quick. Recorded in the League and I will post it up on ROAR.
Just fyi, there is no material difference between the three published versions.

Also Student needs to relook at hIs doctrine of dropping unarmed paratroopers, in broad daylight, against a prepared and determine enemy.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, German paras running around with pistols and little else until they gather their weapons is............................rough.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In J177 Coup De Main at Hamminkeln my Brits were slaughtered by Paul's Germans.
Thanks for the report. I will be traveling this week, but will update the group upon my return.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saved and Recorded both in the league and in ROAR. Thanks Will.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl, Nate Stapf's Germans defeated Randy Strader's Americans in 201. The Americans lost an entire wing on the descent, making it tough. But, the scenario was fun to play. I posted the result to ROAR.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl, Nate Stapf defeated Randy Strader in 201. The Americans lost an entire wing on the descent, making it tough. But, the scenario was fun to play. I posted the result to ROAR.
Randy, which scenario is 201? Hunters From The Sky? Thanks,
Carl