VASL on Linux

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

I had VASL 4.0.12 installed and running fine on my SUSE 8.2 Linux box. After sorting out the Java update to get the webstart going correctly I manged to download and install the latest version. It started up automatically at the end of the install. While it was still running I copied all the relevent boards into the vasldocs directory it had created and was able to set up a game as a test. No problems so far. I then closed VASL (it was tea time!) and when I came back I can't seem to find a way of starting up the latest version again.

The old version had a script file which I could copy ot the desktop and run from there. That still works fine. But I cannot seem to find the equivalent for the latest version.

Is this something to do with the webstart? Where should I be looking for the file to launch the application?

I'm probably missing something very basic here but any pointers would be much appreciated as I have my first PBEM game lined up in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Could you provide some more info? Did you install into a new directory/folder? Do you have a desktop icon which points to the java webstart? What happens when you try to start the app (keep a console open for messages)?
When I get home tonight, I will check the setup on my Fedora Core PC and send you the details.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi again,

Think I have it sussed. Installed VASL in to a new directory and it created a valsdocs folder in which the boards are now located. I've run the vasl.jnlp again and associated it with javaws and clicking that now seems to launch the latest VASL. Still not sure where it's put the application site of things - can only assume it's all in the vals.mod file?

Anyway, it seems to be working now!

I'm not sure on the whole webstart thing. Once I got java running OK it semed to install OK I'm not sure how easy it makes an install if you don't have decent web access. Luckily I've just got broadband so everything went fine.

It would be nice to have a clear picture on how it all sets up? Any pointers would be useful but as it's working I'm quite happy!

Next job is to install Linux on my new laptop and get VASL running on that ready for my upcoming holidays!

Cheers

Andy

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
countbelisarius said:
I'm not sure on the whole webstart thing. Once I got java running OK it semed to install OK I'm not sure how easy it makes an install if you don't have decent web access. Luckily I've just got broadband so everything went fine.
Glad to hear you got it all working in the end.

I tend to agree with you regarding the webstart thing. Our local ftf ASL Club Secretary only has dialup (56k) and to download the latest Java Runtime Environment is not an easy proposition. Ideally, I could download VASL on my broadband connection and burn it to CD for him, along with the boards and scenario setup files... but given Webstart, that's not possible. Shame really, since it would make installing VASL a much more user-friendly experience.

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
countbelisarius said:
Still not sure where it's put the application site of things - can only assume it's all in the vals.mod file?

It would be nice to have a clear picture on how it all sets up? Any pointers would be useful but as it's working I'm quite happy!

Next job is to install Linux on my new laptop and get VASL running on that ready for my upcoming holidays!
Good to hear that you're up and running.

Yes, the vasl.mod file stores most of the app & webstart stuff. If you're interested, make a copy of it and rename it with a .zip extension, then unzip it. You can also check your /tmp directory to see if it is in there from your install. It will show you all the files that are used to build the .mod.

You should have no problem installing it on the laptop barring any funky hardware.