VASL not recognising boards

MRT

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi guys,

I've been battling with VASL for a while, and haven't read anything here which appears to answer my question, so can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I'm sure its simple and my problem is that I'm a Luddite...

When I finally successfully managed to load VASL onto my VASSAL [a story in itself], I found that on the "start a new game offline" option that it didn't have any boards. I went to the Map Bazaar and downloaded a copy of every board (MMP and TPP) and overlay. It was in a subfile of VASSAL labelled boards, which has remained as the board address on VASSAL. I was immediately able to select a board and begin to play on it, saving my setups etc as I went. However...

Not only would VASL not retrieve my saved file, when I tried to return to it, but now I'm back to having no boards available to select. Even freshly reloaded boards won't appear on the boards drop down list, which I tried, just in case somehow I hadn't managed to download them properly. :mad:

Short of throwing my laptop through the window (which is getting more tempting as time passes), is there some kind soul out there in the ether who can tell me where I am going wrong?

In perplexity,

Matt

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Try the stepped instructions on www.bogged.org and see if that helps. Difficult to tell exactly what is wrong here from your description.

MRT

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the suggestion - I actually went through those stepped instructions last night without success...

I don't know if this helps anyone understand my explaination at all, but when I open VASL and on that opening page go to the drop down menu to select a board, its empty, whereas at least the first time I used it, I had the full range of all those downloaded maps to select from in the drop down menu. If it hadn't worked that first time, I'd just assume that I hadn't loaded the boards properly and remove everything from my hard drive and start again...

Anyhoo, any responses are appreciated!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Thanks for the suggestion - I actually went through those stepped instructions last night without success...

I don't know if this helps anyone understand my explaination at all, but when I open VASL and on that opening page go to the drop down menu to select a board, its empty, whereas at least the first time I used it, I had the full range of all those downloaded maps to select from in the drop down menu. If it hadn't worked that first time, I'd just assume that I hadn't loaded the boards properly and remove everything from my hard drive and start again...

Anyhoo, any responses are appreciated!
When you re-open VASL and get no boards, you can at least (unsuccessfully) load your original scenario. The reason for this is to at least get a control window (albeit empty) up. You can go to the preferences tab on the control window....what is the board folder listed? Change it to the folder that you have the board files in. Restart VASL (in the past it has not recognized a newly set board folder without a re-start).

Somehow the preferences setting for the location of your boards got mucked up.