VASL not recognised

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi
I have a friend trying to download vasl. He has Vassal and Java but his computer isn't recognising the vasl file. It appears as a windows explorer thing. I am struggling to help him remotely. Any help?
Martin

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi
I have a friend trying to download vasl. He has Vassal and Java but his computer isn't recognising the vasl file. It appears as a windows explorer thing. I am struggling to help him remotely. Any help?
Martin
Yes, tell him to ignore the windows nonsense and treat the file as a vasl module.

By that I mean:

the vasl file should download with the name VASLvXXX.zip, where XXX is the version number. So, if you are downloading VASL6.6.2, the file name should be VASLv662.zip. If Windows gave it a different name, rename it to the proper name.

one that is done, double-click the zip file and then extract the vasl module which will have the name VASL6.6.2.vmod. Extract it to an accessible directory.

then start VASSAL. From the VASSAL window, File-> Open module, and then navigate to the directory where you extracted the .vmod to, select the .vmod and click Open. VASL will run.

From then on, the new VASL module will show up in the VASSAL window and can be started by double-clicking it.