VASL Night League Round One Matchups

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will Willow's Brits could not take out Randy Rossi's Italians in YASL4 The Twin Pimples.
Good to see that get a playing. How did the scenario go? Enjoyable? Different? Tooth extraction?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will/Randy, that is reported on ROAR and in the league. Thanks.

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
Nate and I completed our game of FE 28 "Fidgety Bridget". My Japanese were victorious after getting off to a fast start. The Japanese got the random selection to move first, quickly getting up on the north side and center of the ridge and then inflicting casualties when Nate's Americans pushed up onto the center of the ridge in Turn 2. Twice the American squad with the .50 cal looked to be set to be dispatched in H-t-H CC, but managed to escape both times. In the second CC my Japanese rolled boxcars, the only DR possible to save the Americans. However, the .50 cal was pushed down off the high ground and as a result was not as effective as it could have been. I don't think either of us had particularly good dice, but Nate's IFT DRs were woeful and he was unable to effectively force the Japanese from the center of the ridge.

Nate is a skilled player and an entertaining and friendly opponent. I appreciate his patience with this night newbie and look forward to playing him again in the future and wish him better luck in the remainder of the VASL Night Tournament.

Bob Z
Thanks for the game Bob, well played!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Kevin and I completed our playing of DB 68 Exit Pole. I can honestly say I diced the living hell out of Kevin to win. Night seems pretty easy when everything is lit up like it's day turn after turn. I think I got >75% of my Starshell checks and once the Cloaking was off, it is slow going. Still a lot to learn. Thanks for the game Kevin. -- jim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin and I completed our playing of DB 68 Exit Pole. I can honestly say I diced the living hell out of Kevin to win. Night seems pretty easy when everything is lit up like it's day turn after turn. I think I got >75% of my Starshell checks and once the Cloaking was off, it is slow going. Still a lot to learn. Thanks for the game Kevin. -- jim
You had the Germans Jim?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,
Below, you see the Round 2 match-ups. If you have any difficulty reaching your Round 2 opponent, please contact me. An accompanying email has been sent to all participants which includes the contact info for all the players. If you did not receive that email, please IM me here.
Thanks,
Carl

Round 2 Pairings 05/01/2019-07/31/2019

1-0 Bracket

Stephen Stewart vs Josh Seamon

Bob Zinselmeyer vs Jim Bishop

Paul Schaeffer vs Randy Rossi

John Knowles vs Aaron Cleavin

0-1 Bracket

Euan Denniston vs Jason Wert

Jim Hunter vs Will Willow

Nate Stapf vs Sebastiano Caltabiano

Kevin Killeen vs Richard Vieira (Fill in)

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Aaron Cleavin and I have agreed to play AP-120 "Kingston Of The Hill".

Aaron will be playing the defending Americans. I will be playing the attacking North Koreans. No balance in play.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aaron Cleavin and I have agreed to play AP-120 "Kingston Of The Hill".

Aaron will be playing the defending Americans. I will be playing the attacking North Koreans. No balance in play.

John.
Thank you John.

jwert02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Euan and I have finished up our game of U29 Night Battle at Noromaryevka with my Germans pulling out a late turn win by surviving the Russian tank onslaught. Thanks Euan for the great game

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Euan and I have finished up our game of U29 Night Battle at Noromaryevka with my Germans pulling out a late turn win by surviving the Russian tank onslaught. Thanks Euan for the great game
Thanks Jason. Reporting it to ROAR and the League as we speak.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Howdy Carl,

Aaron and I finished our game of AP-120 "Kingston Of The Hill" this evening. I enjoyed playing this scenario a lot.

Never mind the enemy, my plan didn't survive contact with the map !!! In turns 2-4, I had a considerably high number of Cloakers straying. Some stacks even strayed multiple times, which puts making it to the battle at all in question. But the units that did make it to the board 25 hill did a decent enough job of keeping the Americans busy. Things got tough when the OBA started a brushfire on the right flank, which I thought to be the most ideal and non-congested route. But more than a few good sniper results tipped the scales in my favor and allowed 2 stacks (of turn 1 reinforcements !!!) to advance in position to give the Americans too much to do in the final turn. Aaron conceded after an ineffectual American turn 8 CCPh.

One big thing that I forgot all about in this playing was that the North Koreans (considered as Red Chinese) appear to get Dare-Death Squads (G18.6). Launching Dare-Death attacks would be a very effective late game tactic in this scenario. The Red Chinese are a side I haven't played a lot with. I've played 2 (BFP) scenarios against Red Chinese, but this was my first go at actually playing them.

Very easy to recommend this scenario.

John.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks John and Aaron. I will record it on ROAR and in the League. Glad it was fun. Korea is on my, "once I retire" list for sure.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Matchups for round 3 being emailed out over the weekend. If you do not have them by Sunday PM, please shoot me an email. They will also be posted here. Thanks,
Carl

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A couple of drop outs gentlemen, but on we go.
Round Three

Round 3 Pairings 08/01/2019-10/31/2019
2-0 Bracket
Randy Rossi vs John Knowles
Josh Seamon vs Bob Zinselmeyer

1-1 Bracket
Nate Stapf vs Aaron Cleavin
Paul Schaeffer vs Richard Vieira (1-0 filling in)
Jim Hunter vs Jason Wert
Kevin Killeen (0-2) vs Will Willow

0-2 Bracket
Sebastiano Caltabiano vs Euan Denniston
Stephen Stewart vs Carl Nogueira (Fill In)

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
Will Willow's Americans will take on Kevin Killeen's Germans in ASL20 Taking the Left Tit. No Balance.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Randy Rossi and I have agreed to play AP-039 "Old Hickory".

Randy will be playing the defending Americans, I will be playing the attacking Germans.

Partial American balance will be in effect (NVR increased from 2 to 3, instead of 4).

John.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Round 3, Paul Schaeffer and Richard Vieira are playing DTF1 Keren Masala. Richard is setting up the fanatic Italians. We hope to get my Brits started onto the board this week.