VASL Night League Round One Matchups

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok folks, here are the first round matchups. An accompanying email has already been sent out. Gentlemen, please inform me of the scenarios you have selected to play, the sides the tow players are playing and if there is any balance as I do report these to ROAR.
Thanks and enjoy.

Round 1 Pairings 01/16/2019-04/30/2019

Euan Denniston vs John Knowles

Josh Seamon vs Jim Hunter

Randy Rossi vs Will Willow

Aaron Cleavin vs Jason Wert

Jim Bishop vs Kevin Killeen

Paul Schaeffer vs Sebastiano Caltabiano

Nate Stapf vs Bob Zinselmeyer

Stephen Stewart vs Chuck Tewksbury

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Euan and I have agreed to play ASL-020 "Taking The Left Tit".

Euan gets the attacking Americans, whilst I get the defending Germans.

(we are also paired up in round 1 of the DTO League, but yet to confirm a scenario for that one at this time)

Should be underway by mid-Feb.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Euan and I have agreed to play ASL-020 "Taking The Left Tit".

Euan gets the attacking Americans, whilst I get the defending Germans.

(we are also paired up in round 1 of the DTO League, but yet to confirm a scenario for that one at this time)

Should be underway by mid-Feb.

John.
Thank you gentlemen. Have fun.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nate Stapf (Americans) and Bob Zinselmeyer (Japanese) will be playing FE 28 "Fidgety Bridget". Scenario kick-off should be next week.

Bob

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nate Stapf (Americans) and Bob Zinselmeyer (Japanese) will be playing FE 28 "Fidgety Bridget". Scenario kick-off should be next week.

Bob
Interesting choice. Enjoy.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh guys, for those looking for new night scenarios, Corregidor from BFP has Ctr 1, 15 and 18 that are night. The VASL Board and extension for it are available here on game squad. Also two Para-drop scenarios as well as some Seaborne invasion attacks too.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,
Sebastiano and Paul are playing KGP9 Carnage in the Night. Sebo is the defending Germans, Paul is the attacking Americans. No balance given. We start tomorrow!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,
Sebastiano and Paul are playing KGP9 Carnage in the Night. Sebo is the defending Germans, Paul is the attacking Americans. No balance given. We start tomorrow!
Thanks and enjoy gentlemen.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sebastiano and Paul are playing KGP9 Carnage in the Night.
We finished our game. My Americans made a slow approach across the hill, barbed wire and illumination. But closed with the SS and close combat was my friend. The AA guns went down quickly and several squads with them, then creeping further, a couple bazooka shots took out 2 vehicles, the first building was captured and with 31 VC, the SS were too much on the back heel to continue.
It was a fun scenario, with lots of shifting mist and rain. Thanks to Sebo for a good game.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We finished our game. My Americans made a slow approach across the hill, barbed wire and illumination. But closed with the SS and close combat was my friend. The AA guns went down quickly and several squads with them, then creeping further, a couple bazooka shots took out 2 vehicles, the first building was captured and with 31 VC, the SS were too much on the back heel to continue.
It was a fun scenario, with lots of shifting mist and rain. Thanks to Sebo for a good game.
I just finished this one against Jeremy Busby. Did you have any trouble interpreting the VASL map, particularly around the SE corner of the main hill, where the woods meet the stream? We found the artwork confusing, making LOS even harder to figure out. But otherwise, a fun, if complex, scenario.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you have any trouble interpreting the VASL map,
Definitely! It was very tough to see where the hill levels changed in the pine woods.
We spent some time with that before starting and hopefully got it right. There wasn't much movement through there so probably wasn't very important, but wow, it was tough to make a call on a few.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, guys. I'll record it in the League and Roar. Thanks for the report.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Euan and I finished our game of ASL-020 "Taking The Left Tit".

Euan had split his (Cloaked) Americans into two groups, with each group going along the eastern and western edges. I was able to get Starshells early, but my shooting was awful and I missed lots of opportunities. Euan was able to break a couple of my squads on the hill, but as he sought to push forward, his squads floundered in the mines and on the wire. A small gap in the line was barely held by a 247 that survived a number of CC rounds before perishing, but the time he bought me kept the majority of Americans south of the fortifications and behind schedule. My broken Germans came back on turn 4, and my defense was holding firm now, and time dictated that Euan's Americans would have to make a run for it. But starshells lit up the map, and my firepower was able to break the back of the desperate dash and Euan conceded.

Euan played a good game of it, and at a very decent pace for someone quite new to ASL Night. I'd normally hesitate to say this of such a new player, but the Night League is definitely richer for having him aboard. Welcome to the VASL Night League, mate.

John.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Euan and I finished our game of ASL-020 "Taking The Left Tit".

Euan had split his (Cloaked) Americans into two groups, with each group going along the eastern and western edges. I was able to get Starshells early, but my shooting was awful and I missed lots of opportunities. Euan was able to break a couple of my squads on the hill, but as he sought to push forward, his squads floundered in the mines and on the wire. A small gap in the line was barely held by a 247 that survived a number of CC rounds before perishing, but the time he bought me kept the majority of Americans south of the fortifications and behind schedule. My broken Germans came back on turn 4, and my defense was holding firm now, and time dictated that Euan's Americans would have to make a run for it. But starshells lit up the map, and my firepower was able to break the back of the desperate dash and Euan conceded.

View attachment 7663

Euan played a good game of it, and at a very decent pace for someone quite new to ASL Night. I'd normally hesitate to say this of such a new player, but the Night League is definitely richer for having him aboard. Welcome to the VASL Night League, mate.

John.
Thanks for the report John. Recorded in both the League and on Roar.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Bob
Nate and I completed our game of FE 28 "Fidgety Bridget". My Japanese were victorious after getting off to a fast start. The Japanese got the random selection to move first, quickly getting up on the north side and center of the ridge and then inflicting casualties when Nate's Americans pushed up onto the center of the ridge in Turn 2. Twice the American squad with the .50 cal looked to be set to be dispatched in H-t-H CC, but managed to escape both times. In the second CC my Japanese rolled boxcars, the only DR possible to save the Americans. However, the .50 cal was pushed down off the high ground and as a result was not as effective as it could have been. I don't think either of us had particularly good dice, but Nate's IFT DRs were woeful and he was unable to effectively force the Japanese from the center of the ridge.

Nate is a skilled player and an entertaining and friendly opponent. I appreciate his patience with this night newbie and look forward to playing him again in the future and wish him better luck in the remainder of the VASL Night Tournament.

Bob Z

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nate and I completed our game of FE 28 "Fidgety Bridget". My Japanese were victorious after getting off to a fast start. The Japanese got the random selection to move first, quickly getting up on the north side and center of the ridge and then inflicting casualties when Nate's Americans pushed up onto the center of the ridge in Turn 2. Twice the American squad with the .50 cal looked to be set to be dispatched in H-t-H CC, but managed to escape both times. In the second CC my Japanese rolled boxcars, the only DR possible to save the Americans. However, the .50 cal was pushed down off the high ground and as a result was not as effective as it could have been. I don't think either of us had particularly good dice, but Nate's IFT DRs were woeful and he was unable to effectively force the Japanese from the center of the ridge.

Nate is a skilled player and an entertaining and friendly opponent. I appreciate his patience with this night newbie and look forward to playing him again in the future and wish him better luck in the remainder of the VASL Night Tournament.

Bob Z
Thank you gents. Recorded in the League and on ROAR.

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
Will Willow's Brits could not take out Randy Rossi's Italians in YASL4 The Twin Pimples.