VASL Night League 2017-2018 in Progress

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lars Thuring has had to forfeit his game with Paolo Cariolato in the league. The dreaded real life syndrome again :). Hopefully Lars will have the time to rejoin us at some point. Always nice to have a gentleman and player of his caliber around.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl, Randy Strader's Germans defeated Ed Barnes' Russians in VotG25 Urban Nightmare. Ed's dice did him no favors, and followed him to both of our gaming sessions. Nonetheless, a fun scenario. I posted the result to ROAR.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Josh Seamon's Germans Defeated Paul Schaeffers Partisans in Z26 The Cemetery. Reported on ROAR and in the league. Thank you gentlemen.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen, Sebastian Hummel's Germans, sneaked out of town past Enrico's drunk Russians in Scenario H, Escape From Velikiye Luki. This has been reported in the league and will be posted on ROAR as well.
This also means the Night League has wrapped up round one with more than 2 weeks to spare. Your reward? To get started on round 2 two weeks early. I will have the match ups for the next round available over the weekend. Thanks guys.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok guys. Some events in my life had put me behind with this, but here are your matchups for Round 2, one week early. I will also send out an email to the group. Enjoy your next round.

Round 2

6/24-09/30

1-0

Sebastian Hummel vs Paolo Cariolato

Randy Strader vs Josh Seamon

Randy Rossi vs Dave Perham

Nate Stapf vs Kevin Killeen

0-1

Paul Schaeffer vs Victor Rosso

Ed Barnes vs Will Willow

Chris Hofland vs Enrico Catanzaro

John Knowles vs Carl Nogueira (Filling in)

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi All,

Carl and I will be playing U-34 "The Dornot Watermark". I get the withdrawing Americans, Carl gets the pursuing (SS) Germans. Only 1 playing on ROAR so far.....

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy Rossi's Americans defeated Dave Perham's Germans in a playing of Carnage In The Night (KGP9). Added to the League and on ROAR. Thank you gentlemen for finishing up so early. As an aside to other league players, this one is now 10-9 Americans, so not too shabby on balance. Dave and Randy could further inform as to the suitability of the scenario.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Carl and I are underway in U-034 "The Dornot Watermark".

U-034-Ami-03-RPh-jpeg.jpg

2 Game turns completed.

Carl's 2nd Starshell started the Artillery prematurely. But the Scattered Clouds and Half Moon have conspired to reduce the NVR to 1. Illumination is key now....

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
5 turns completed in U-034 "The Dornot Watermark", exactly half way......

U-034-Ami-06-RPh-jpeg.jpg

The (shadow-hugging) Panzers have arrived. NVR is now 0. All German leaders have been eliminated.

However, the German starshells have done just enough to keep my withdrawal a fairly slow one, with my Americans waiting for an opportunity to slip away. Hopefully the time doesn't slip away first....

John.

Last edited:

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Carl and I finished off our VASL Night League game of U-034 "The Dornot Watermark". last Wednesday evening.

Patiently waiting for a gap in his starshell coverage really didn't work out for my Americans, and starting turn 7, I had to hurry to the river's edge and pile into the boats. But there are not enough boats for everyone, and 3 squads had to use the Fording Lines (E6.6). In the end, I extricated all but 18 CVPs worth of American infantry, so Carl had to acquire 2 more from the far shore, but with no illumination of the west bank, then had to try and induce a SAN attack (to hopefully KIA an 8-1 leader). It was a near run thing, but the game was ended when the American SAN was able to pin the German SAN, letting me win by a 2 CVP margin.

U-034-Ami-10-AFPh-jpeg.jpg

This was a blast to play, and I also learnt tons, so many thanks for that, Carl. In hindsight, I think its best for the GO Americans to use the fording lines, and for broken Americans to pile into the boats. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, Carl.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl and I finished off our VASL Night League game of U-034 "The Dornot Watermark". last Wednesday evening.

Patiently waiting for a gap in his starshell coverage really didn't work out for my Americans, and starting turn 7, I had to hurry to the river's edge and pile into the boats. But there are not enough boats for everyone, and 3 squads had to use the Fording Lines (E6.6). In the end, I extricated all but 18 CVPs worth of American infantry, so Carl had to acquire 2 more from the far shore, but with no illumination of the west bank, then had to try and induce a SAN attack (to hopefully KIA an 8-1 leader). It was a near run thing, but the game was ended when the American SAN was able to pin the German SAN, letting me win by a 2 CVP margin.

View attachment 2466

This was a blast to play, and I also learnt tons, so many thanks for that, Carl. In hindsight, I think its best for the GO Americans to use the fording lines, and for broken Americans to pile into the boats. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, Carl.

John.
I enjoyed it too John. Things came down to the end and I actually think the patient approach rewarded you more than cutting and running immediately. I liked your final fire Leader traps and in all had a great time. A very close night scenario, not much to not like there. Add to that the fact it is a very different tactical situation and it is a lot of fun indeed. Thanks John.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Shaeffer and I just finished playing Shoestring Ridge with my americans winning as we went into T6 (with no longer mathematical chances for 20 exit VP).

Many thanks to Paul for an enjoyable game, as he endured some tough luck when it came to his leaders (one failed to gain ambush jumping into cc concealed and was eliminated in cc, one ran afoul of the 9-2 and failed a wound check, one got nailed by a sniper and the final one also failed it's first MC and subsequent WC). We both learned some new rules during this playing, particularly around the trip flares.

For me things that worked well included setting up double deep wire on the lower portion of bd25 (where you can find spots the attacker must funnel thru). The 9-2 was down there also (mainly to be able to pass a no move check if no units went on the lower side of this hill). The location of the 50 cal worked great with lots of shots. The 37L was in a good spot to shoot canister, and got a couple of these off before running out. With the attack coming across a broad front, almost the entire US line was engaged at one point.

Things I could have done better was location of the wire and trip flares, this really provides a chance to light up some units for the OBA observer (since they stay on the board longer when tripped). This is were the most improvement could be. It would also be useful to use these in areas where I have long range LOS to cover some approaches and either force assault moves or loss of cloaking early in the game and allow me to drop No Move decorative counters from my pieces.

Here is the pre-game setup used.
Capture.PNG

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Shaeffer and I just finished playing Shoestring Ridge with my americans winning as we went into T6 (with no longer mathematical chances for 20 exit VP).

Many thanks to Paul for an enjoyable game, as he endured some tough luck when it came to his leaders (one failed to gain ambush jumping into cc concealed and was eliminated in cc, one ran afoul of the 9-2 and failed a wound check, one got nailed by a sniper and the final one also failed it's first MC and subsequent WC). We both learned some new rules during this playing, particularly around the trip flares.

For me things that worked well included setting up double deep wire on the lower portion of bd25 (where you can find spots the attacker must funnel thru). The 9-2 was down there also (mainly to be able to pass a no move check if no units went on the lower side of this hill). The location of the 50 cal worked great with lots of shots. The 37L was in a good spot to shoot canister, and got a couple of these off before running out. With the attack coming across a broad front, almost the entire US line was engaged at one point.

Things I could have done better was location of the wire and trip flares, this really provides a chance to light up some units for the OBA observer (since they stay on the board longer when tripped). This is were the most improvement could be. It would also be useful to use these in areas where I have long range LOS to cover some approaches and either force assault moves or loss of cloaking early in the game and allow me to drop No Move decorative counters from my pieces.

Here is the pre-game setup used.
View attachment 2628
Thank you gentlemen, this is reported in the league and on ROAR.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In FrF48, Bad Moon Rising, Sebastian Hummel's Germans defeated Paolo's Russians. Recorded in the league and ROAR. Thank you gentlemen.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Chris and me are playing scenario 20 Taking the left Tit. A superclassical I had for 30+years in my playing list. I'll try to stop the green horde of 15 X 666 American Squads with my 6 X 467 boys a few mines and 5 wires.
We'll finish the job in time

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
This evening Chris and me finished ASL 20 Taking the Left Tit.

an unlucky American move punished via a tricky los and a lucky roll cancelled three 666 and a 9-1 adventuring in the open and in the light of a friendly IR.
At that point the American concedeed and the Germans won.

The scenario is fast, nice, and seems ideal to introduct the Night Rules. Chris is a gentleman and good player lacking luck in a key moment of the game.

At this point I believe the round is over, and Carl - when he's ready - could move to a new round. Many thanks to Carl for the extra time

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enrico, thanks for the report. I will be moving this League forward on 11/01. The same date as all the others. It will just be easier to run that way. An email will go out with new pairings for round 3 at that time.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,
Round Three for the Night League is ready. The matchups are below. Thanks, Carl

Round Three

11/01/2017-02/28/2018

2-0 Bracket

Sebastian Hummel vs Randy Rossi

Josh Seamon vs Kevin Killeen