VASL Night League 2017-2018 in Progress

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
0-2 Bracket
In this clash of titans, Chris H and Paul S (the other one) will play AA15 Beneath the Castle Walls.
Looks to be a fun one with Chris playing the attacking Germans and Paul the Fleeing (but maybe attacking) Americans.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info Paul. Recorded so far.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Victor and I have agreed to play ASL-169 "Night Fans". In a dice-for-sides (low DR gets attacker), I got the attacking Russians, and Victor got the defending Finnish. Am looking forward to my first use of Aerosans.....

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victor and I have agreed to play ASL-169 "Night Fans". In a dice-for-sides (low DR gets attacker), I got the attacking Russians, and Victor got the defending Finnish. Am looking forward to my first use of Aerosans.....

John.
Thanks John, so noted.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Victor and I concluded our game of ASL-169 "Night Fans" today (his morning, my evening). The scenario features a Russian night assault on an island across a frozen lake. The Russian squads are equipped with skis. and they have Aerosans for MG fire support (3x NKL-26), as well as troop transport (6x NKL-16). To win, the Russians have 6 turns to capture a building (26S3) and a level 3 hill hex (26M1).

The NVR of 4 (6 vs motion Aerosan) makes getting close tricky for the Russians, which is a bit of an issue when your squad's inherent range is 2 !!! The first three turns were most cautious, but the fighting got intense from turn 4 onwards, where overall, my Russians enjoyed the better of the IFT DRs. The Russians captured the VC hill (M1) in turn 4, and were able to break the last Fins defending the VC building (S3) in the Russian turn 6 PFPh, forcing Victor to concede.

A fun scenario to play, Victor and I played the entire game in 1 VASL session of slightly over 4 hours. It looks a bit pro-Finn (we played with Russian balance), I think I was fortunate to have enjoyed some good MG support from the Aerosans (a few 2 and 3 DRs from the NKL-26s).

ASL-169-Rus-06-PFPh-jpeg.jpg

John.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victor and I concluded our game of ASL-169 "Night Fans" today (his morning, my evening). The scenario features a Russian night assault on an island across a frozen lake. The Russian squads are equipped with skis. and they have Aerosans for MG fire support (3x NKL-26), as well as troop transport (6x NKL-16). To win, the Russians have 6 turns to capture a building (26S3) and a level 3 hill hex (26M1).

The NVR of 4 (6 vs motion Aerosan) makes getting close tricky for the Russians, which is a bit of an issue when your squad's inherent range is 2 !!! The first three turns were most cautious, but the fighting got intense from turn 4 onwards, where overall, my Russians enjoyed the better of the IFT DRs. The Russians captured the VC hill (M1) in turn 4, and were able to break the last Fins defending the VC building (S3) in the Russian turn 6 PFPh, forcing Victor to concede.

A fun scenario to play, Victor and I played the entire game in 1 VASL session of slightly over 4 hours. It looks a bit pro-Finn (we played with Russian balance), I think I was fortunate to have enjoyed some good MG support from the Aerosans (a few 2 and 3 DRs from the NKL-26s).

View attachment 3539

John.
Thanks for the report. Noted on ROAR and in the League.

Lobster

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi Carl,

Randy and I just finishes Water Foul. My Canadians were able to win this exciting and funny game. Result recorded in ROAR.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Randy and I just finishes Water Foul. My Canadians were able to win this exciting and funny game. Result recorded in ROAR.
The result is recorded in the league. Thanks for the report. Yes, I recall playing that one when it first came out. Very different.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paolo Cariolato vs Enrico Catanzaro, hi guys, did I miss the result or is it still pending? Please advise. I will send a follow up email tomorrow.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Hi Carl,
I have been very busy lately and now I'm at ASO till Monday. We are ready to play Sicilian Midnight (me as Italian) next week. If you cannot wait anymore please record a victory for Paolo since he was ready to play and waited me for months.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello Enrico, I will do just that as we must move on. Thank you.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Round 4 Ends 05/31/2018

3-0 Championship Match
Sebastian Hummel vs Josh Seamon

2-1
Randy Rossi vs John Knowles
Paolo Cariolato vs Nate Stapf
Kevin Killeen vs Dave Perham

Sub .500 group
Paul Schaeffer vs Enrico Catanzaro
Chris Hofland vs Victor Rosso

There are your matchups for the next round gentlemen.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Hi Carl,

Randy Rossi and I have agreed to play ASL-210 "This Is Where We Stand".

Randy will play the defending USMC, whilst I will play the attacking (CVPA) Chinese.

John.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

Randy Rossi and I have agreed to play ASL-210 "This Is Where We Stand".

Randy will play the defending USMC, whilst I will play the attacking (CVPA) Chinese.

John.
I would love to see at AAR for this match. I have this one on my must play list.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Randy and I kicked off our scenario ASL-210 "This Is Where We Stand" my morning, his evening. Lots of new rules to work with, so we're taking it slow and steady, which makes it fun instead of work, which is the general idea !!!

My Chinese are mostly playing the infiltrator role, whilst Randy holds his high ground......

ASL-210-Chi-02-RPh-jpeg.jpg

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Randy and I concluded our playing of ASL-210 "This Is Where We Stand" today (his evening / my morning). I didn't really do anything fancy, just a continuance of AMs with the aim of getting into CC, feeling that with the CPVA's advantages in CC, eventually I should be able to overwhelm the USMC. To avoid this fate, the USMCs really have to do some damage with their FP (which is considerable), and not suffer too many weapon malfunctions or unit breaks.

Unfortunately, the USMC went 0 for 3 in this regard, as I enjoyed by far the better of the dice. I took a few losses, but also inflicted some key unit breaks (a few on some low probability attacks, too), with the big blow coming in the turn 3 CCPh when a striped 1st line Grenadier squad attacked the 10-2 and its accompanying 768 in CC with a BIG 1,1 infiltration HtH CC DR.

By my turn 4 MPh, there were only 4.5 unbroken 768s in in play (1 in Melee), and when the 80mm OBA radio malfunctioned, Randy (quite understandably) felt he wouldn't have the resources to hold out against my remaining ocean of squads. This does look like a tough scenario for the USMC, but I'd still be happy to take another look at it in the future.

ASL-210-Chi-04-DFPh-jpeg.jpg

It was a blast to play this scenario with Randy, and I learnt plenty in the process. In fact, I really have enjoyed ALL my VASL Night League games this year, getting to play a bunch of great opponents in interesting scenarios in each and every round.

ASL-177 "Anabsis" in Round 1 vs Kevin Killeen.
U-034 "The Dornot Watermark" in Round 2 vs Carl Nogueira.
ASL-169 "Night Fans" in Round 3 vs Victor Rosso.
ASL-210 "This is Where We Stand" in Round 4 vs Randy Rossi.

A big thanks to my opponents and also to Carl for organizing the VASL Night League.

John.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy and I concluded our playing of ASL-210 "This Is Where We Stand" today (his evening / my morning). I didn't really do anything fancy, just a continuance of AMs with the aim of getting into CC, feeling that with the CPVA's advantages in CC, eventually I should be able to overwhelm the USMC. To avoid this fate, the USMCs really have to do some damage with their FP (which is considerable), and not suffer too many weapon malfunctions or unit breaks.

Unfortunately, the USMC went 0 for 3 in this regard, as I enjoyed by far the better of the dice. I took a few losses, but also inflicted some key unit breaks (a few on some low probability attacks, too), with the big blow coming in the turn 3 CCPh when a striped 1st line Grenadier squad attacked the 10-2 and its accompanying 768 in CC with a BIG 1,1 infiltration HtH CC DR.

By my turn 4 MPh, there were only 4.5 unbroken 768s in in play (1 in Melee), and when the 80mm OBA radio malfunctioned, Randy (quite understandably) felt he wouldn't have the resources to hold out against my remaining ocean of squads. This does look like a tough scenario for the USMC, but I'd still be happy to take another look at it in the future.

View attachment 4552

It was a blast to play this scenario with Randy, and I learnt plenty in the process. In fact, I really have enjoyed ALL my VASL Night League games this year, getting to play a bunch of great opponents in interesting scenarios in each and every round.

ASL-177 "Anabsis" in Round 1 vs Kevin Killeen.
U-034 "The Dornot Watermark" in Round 2 vs Carl Nogueira.
ASL-169 "Night Fans" in Round 3 vs Victor Rosso.
ASL-210 "This is Where We Stand" in Round 4 vs Randy Rossi.

A big thanks to my opponents and also to Carl for organizing the VASL Night League.

John.
Thanks for the report John. Posted in the League and shortly on ROAR. Glad you had a good time playing as always.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congratulations to Josh Seamon for winning the Night League with a win over Sebastian Hummel in AP88 Full Moon Madness. Josh had the Japanese and Sebastian the Brits. Thanks guys, I am in touch with Red-Headed T-shirts and prizes will be forth coming. If you could just IM me your addresses, I will get the goods to you as soon as I have them. VIc and Chris, are you guys going to get your game finished in time?
Thanks all. I hope a good time was had by all and thanks to all our participants.