VASL Newbie

Auslander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys-

Are there any grognards interested in a test game of VASL with a newbie? I have a decent handle on the infantry rules, but I don't really know the mechanics of VASL yet. I'm assuming it can be played "live" or more like a turn-based, PBEM stretching out over days or weeks. If anyone wants to show me the ropes, I wouldn't mind going a few rounds of "The Guards Counterattack" or maybe a ASLSK scenario.

Any Takers?

Aus

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
'Fraid my card is full, but VASL is well-suited to both live play and pbem play.

Like other pbem programs (CB and ADC2 are the ones I have in mind), VASL allows you to record moves and comments on a logfile, then send that logfile to your opponent, who can read through. Unlike CB and ADC, he can interrupt your logfile to insert comments, defensive fire, etc., while writing his own file, which is essential for ASL.

There's a thread hereabouts with some discussion on VASL 'etiquette', and in the AAR section you'll find some VASL logfiles from real games that you can run through, just to see how some people handle it.

Best of luck finding an opponent!

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I'll play you some ASLSK scenarios, Auslander. Not a grog, but I know how to use VASL.

I'll show you how to do FtF and PBEM. A lot of people seem to think the latter is tricky or complicated but it isn't for VASL. PM me or email me (I believe you can use my profile buttons to get my info) and we'll hook up.