VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I’m monitoring this thread guys. Keep those suggestions coming. I’ll get to them as soon as I’m able.
As it just came up a few posts upthread:

There are these counters which one can 'configure' oneself. In their current state, they are pretty useless, because it is impossible to set a value for the broken side. These counters could be improved / made 'usable' in the following way (I have not doublechecked if some of the suggestions listed below already work):
  • Enable a broken side for these counters
  • Enable to set a value to the broken side morale.
  • Enable a 'square' to be set around the broken side morale.
  • Allow a selection for the silouhettes GO/Broken side for: Squad, HS, Crew, Leader, Commissar, AL, THH
  • Allow a selection for the 'type' of unit on the GO side: Elite (boxed E), Elite (circled E), 1st line, 2nd line, Green, Conscript, SS, Assault Engineer, and such things
  • Allow a BPV to be set on the broken side.
  • Allow underscores to be set beneath FP, Range, Morale
  • Allow a Smoke Exponent to be set.
Currently, the values can be set in the form of text comparable with labels. This makes some things quite a pain - try finding a font with a 'circled E' for a German 5-4-8 for example. To display underscores of FP, Range, Morale, one would under the current system probably have use HTML code to do the trick. Similar thing for most superscript numbers for Smoke Exponents. The broken side of the counters does not work at all - which kills their usefulness even in the most basic cases. Furthermore only Squads and HS can be created, but no Crews, SMC or Armor Leaders.

Probably, the best way to approach the problem would be to set the values by context-menu and drop-down selections rather than entering text (apart from the usual options for Labelling/Naming counters/Leaders).

von Marwitz

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed a problem with the LOS tool in VASSAL 3.4.11, VASL 6.6.1. If the LOS tool passes through 3 wrecks it freezes the program for an extended period. 2 wrecks causes a slight pause and 1 wreck doesn't seem to affect it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I recently came across the following:

You have two boards butted against each other. One half hex is Orchard, the other is Open Ground.
As far as I know, this 'whole' hex should be an Orchard hex (an thus inherent Terrain). The LOS Tool seems to treat it as Open Ground

I have noticed this, when firing from a level 2 Location to Ground Level through the above described hex and I saw that the number of blind hexes of the LOS displayed incorrectly.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enhancement Suggestion:
OBA Draw pile window.
Normally a player would only see that his opponent has an OBA draw pile, not what is actually in it. Is there any way to make VASL only display the stack and name on that stack, and hide the black/red card numbers from your opponent? This comes into play for HASL games where your purchases are secret (not during a scenario where it is dictated on the scenario card).

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
@von Marwitz
@GeorgeBates

I started this extension a couple of years ago for George. Haven’t worked on it recently. There’s a GS thread somewhere on this that I’ve neglected. Been busy with other stuff but that’s no excuse. Here’s the link if you want to try it out:

Nice one! It works fine.

Suggestion for improvement:
- Provide different silouhettes depending on Nationality.

Thanks for pointing us to it.

von Marwitz

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fixed. bdRBv3 v0.05 released and available for download.
I was looking at the RB transformations on this board and see all the Gutted Factories, but I did not see any of the alternative terrain changes that came with RF. Is there a project for making these? I'd like to add a piece of variety into the RB campaign if possible.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is a VASL version above 6.5.1 required?
I have only tried it with VASL v6.6.1 but I do not believe that a version above v6.5.1 is required, since BigAl737, who developed the Extension related that it had rested in hiatus for quite a while because of other more pressing VASL matters.
As v6.5.1 is not old either, my best guess is that you're good.

von Marwitz

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I have only tried it with VASL v6.6.1 but I do not believe that a version above v6.5.1 is required, since BigAl737, who developed the Extension related that it had rested in hiatus for quite a while because of other more pressing VASL matters.
As v6.5.1 is not old either, my best guess is that you're good.

von Marwitz
Thanks. In that case, I'm doing something wrong, because although the extension loads it is not increasing the functionality of the blank counters. Perhaps you can coach me in a Skype session?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks. In that case, I'm doing something wrong, because although the extension loads it is not increasing the functionality of the blank counters. Perhaps you can coach me in a Skype session?
Maybe you are just looking in the wrong place - see here:

The extension does not modify the existing custom counters but rather provides a complete new tab where you can find the new ones.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
And with that, we're off to the races!

Here are the results:

The HS on the left are what can be created with the custom counters in the nationality folder. The ones on the right are built with the new extension (values shown in the utility window). Only two issues so far:
  1. The underscoring appears to need spaces inserted (see Spraying Fire and ELR cells) in order to properly line up under the strength factors
  2. The unit size figure images do not match the nationality colors (which can probably be easily remedied)
Thanks again, Al. This one gets a "recommended" evaluation. Hope to see a final version added to the extension download list.

Last edited:

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
Hi!

I was messing about with VASL and board 8 (v6.4) (VASL 6.6.1 & VASSAL 3.4.6) and noticed some strange LOS behavior.

First off, it when trying to change the month of the scenario (Terrain Transformations) going from June to May it never seems to come out of "Working..." after hitting "Apply". Hitting done and then reopening the window the scenario/map month is still June.

Second, are some LOS discrepancies from what I expected. I'll just list the ones I have found:
  1. J2.1 --> J5 through J8 indicates a non-blocked LOS. Should be blocked. Plateau-effect in J4, blind hexes ans what not.
  2. J2.2 --> J5 through J8 indicates as well a non-blocked LOS. I'd expect J5 & J6 to be blocked (blind hexes) while J7 & J8 to be clear (correct).
  3. K3 --> K6 through K10 as above (#2). (K3.2 --> K10 ok)
  4. J2.0 --> J5 correctly indicates a blocked LOS but says it's blocked in J3(!), minor issue.
  5. J2.0 --> D5 correctly indicates a blocked LOS but says it's blocked in I3(!), minor issue.
  6. S9.0 --> T7 correctly indicates an ok albeit hindered LOS to T7. Correct!
  7. S9.0 --> U6 correctly indicates a blocked LOS in S8(!). It sure is blocked but not in S8. This might be the same issue as #4 & #5 above.
  8. S9.1 --> U6 indicates a non-blocked LOS. I'd expect this to be blocked due to the plateau-effect of the orchards in S8.
  9. S9.2 --> U6 indicates a non-blocked LOS. I'd expect U6 to be a blind hex.
  10. H3(.0/.1/.1.5) --> I4,J4,K5,L5,M6,N6,O7,P7,Q8,R8,S9 are all ok.
There are probably more issues on board 8 but I haven't checked more than this.
/asad

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I noticed a problem with the LOS tool in VASSAL 3.4.11, VASL 6.6.1. If the LOS tool passes through 3 wrecks it freezes the program for an extended period. 2 wrecks causes a slight pause and 1 wreck doesn't seem to affect it.
I think I have this fixed in 6.6.2.