VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

conscriptvlad

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
I hope this is the place to make some suggestions to VASL.

This is regarding the Prepared Fire Zones counters. Currently its available as an overlay. I would humbly suggest to make it into a standard counter with the following features.
  1. Flipable from open ground to vineyard and vice versa
  2. HIP
  3. Clone
  4. Delete
Thanks.

Vlad

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

This is regarding the Prepared Fire Zones counters. Currently its available as an overlay. I would humbly suggest to make it into a standard counter with the following features.
  2. HIP
  3. Clone
  4. Delete
Thanks.

Vlad
We can do that. And your timing is perfect.
Doug, hold that release. I’ll have a new counter for you.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland

2. HIP
  3. Clone
  4. Delete
Thanks.

Vlad
Why would you want to HIP a PFZ? Unlike other fortifications those are not set up hidden.

conscriptvlad

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Chapter B Footnote 21. 36.1 Hidden PFZ allows for hidden PFZ. So I thought giving it HIP features in VASL might be useful

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't know it the question has been adressed, so here is a problem that I have encountered : I prepared the map and counters of both sides of a scenario - winning time for my opponent.
My opponent set up his units (I could...).
During the play, he was not able to delete (ctrl-D) the OB-given concealment counters (he could delete those that he added himself).
This may be a new "security" feature, but it is very annoying (the situation when someone would voluntarily delete a concealment counter of an opponent is quite improbable).
I would suggest to remove that feature.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I don't know it the question has been adressed, so here is a problem that I have encountered : I prepared the map and counters of both sides of a scenario - winning time for my opponent.
My opponent set up his units (I could...).
During the play, he was not able to delete (ctrl-D) the OB-given concealment counters (he could delete those that he added himself).
This may be a new "security" feature, but it is very annoying (the situation when someone would voluntarily delete a concealment counter of an opponent is quite improbable).
I would suggest to remove that feature.
This is actually not a new security feature but has been that way ever since.

Incidentally, I believe it needs to be this way and here is why:

If you pull concealment counters, that determines that you "possess" them. Determination of "possession" is required in order to block or enable visibility of any counters stacked beneath them. In case the opponent could take over the possession of your concealment counters (i.e. the ones that you pulled or created), then the confidentiality of your concealed units could no longer be guaranteed. It would be possible to cheat or maybe to inadvertedly see beneath your opponent's concealed stacks under certain cirumstances.

For that reason, when I create setups pulling all necessary counters, which does indeed save a lot of time for the opponent, I treat Dummy counters in the following way: Instead of pulling these, I instead place a blank counter of the appropriate nationality color and label it "Concealment x6" if the OoB has 6 Dummy counters.

This way, you can avoid the problem that you describe and the only thing the opponent has to pull himself is the indicated number of Dummy counters.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
This is actually not a new security feature but has been that way ever since.

Incidentally, I believe it needs to be this way and here is why:

If you pull concealment counters, that determines that you "possess" them. Determination of "possession" is required in order to block or enable visibility of any counters stacked beneath them. In case the opponent could take over the possession of your concealment counters (i.e. the ones that you pulled or created), then the confidentiality of your concealed units could no longer be guaranteed. It would be possible to cheat or maybe to inadvertedly see beneath your opponent's concealed stacks under certain cirumstances.

For that reason, when I create setups pulling all necessary counters, which does indeed save a lot of time for the opponent, I treat Dummy counters in the following way: Instead of pulling these, I instead place a blank counter of the appropriate nationality color and label it "Concealment x9" if the OoB has 9 Dummy counters.

View attachment 12638

This way, you can avoid the problem that you describe and the only thing the opponent has to pull himself is the indicated number of Dummy counters.

von Marwitz
I wholly agree that this needs to be the way it is. I like your elegant workaround to the knock-on effect and will be stealing it.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Strangely, when my opponent placed the OB counters I had prepared for him, they did conceal his units out of my view.
So confidentiality was fully enforced.
Under what circumstances wouldn't that work ?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Strangely, when my opponent placed the OB counters I had prepared for him, they did conceal his units out of my view.
So confidentiality was fully enforced.
Under what circumstances wouldn't that work ?
It has been a long time since I have been meddling with this issue systematically, so please apologize if my memory fails me. So let me shoot a guess:

You pulled the "?" counters for him. He placed them atop one of his stacks. You could not see the contents of that stack thereafter.

But could he?

Maybe it plays both a role who pulled the "?" counters AND who places them later. Maybe neither of you could see the contents of the stack in the described situation.

Whatever the case, it is pretty sure that some sort of issues can arise if you use "?" counters that have been pulled by someone else. I also remember such phenomenons before I came up with the solution outlined in my previous post.

von Marwitz

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
It has been a long time since I have been meddling with this issue systematically, so please apologize if my memory fails me. So let me shoot a guess:

You pulled the "?" counters for him. He placed them atop one of his stacks. You could not see the contents of that stack thereafter.

But could he?

Maybe it plays both a role who pulled the "?" counters AND who places them later. Maybe neither of you could see the contents of the stack in the described situation.

Whatever the case, it is pretty sure that some sort of issues can arise if you use "?" counters that have been pulled by someone else. I also remember such phenomenons before I came up with the solution outlined in my previous post.

von Marwitz
No, they're different functions. They conceal based on who placed them, they're deletable based on who pulled them. That is pretty weird now that I think of it.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

But could he?

von Marwitz
He could see his units and I not - which at least is the way things should work.
The only thing is that he cannot delete the OB given concealment counters.
It is very possible that this feature has existed for a long time already.
It makes sharing setup files annoying - excepted if one applies your system, which is a clever one, btw.

up5799

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An option for pine woods would be nice. Terrain symbol can remain the same, but level 2 for LOS purposes

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I remember than you could change Orchards to Olive Trees, but I cannot find the option anymore. Somebody know how to do it? Was it somehow discarded in some update? Thanks.

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I remember than you could change Orchards to Olive Trees, but I cannot find the option anymore. Somebody know how to do it? Was it somehow discarded in some update? Thanks.
It's under OSC Swapping > Orchards Are > Cactus Patches (close enough?)

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
I had a couple of recent problems with the terrain: I could change orchards into crag but I couldn't do the same for woods (ie woods to crag). Additionally I couldn't find a way to eliminate buildings from a map. So if any of you know a way to do these I would appreciate it greatly :)