VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm not sure if this has been logged yet but board 50 is missing the cliff artwork along the K2/L1 hexside.

If someone can provide me with the GIMP file, I'll get it fixed.
Logged the issue at github: https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/572

I'm not 100% sure there are .xcf files, at least formal ones. The only files I am aware of are the .gif files: https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/tree/develop/boards/src/bd50. Since .gif is not a lossy format, I don't think it's a problem.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you both. Al, I have the psd file and will work on it this week. I'll put another layer in there that is just the cliff and then a NoCliffs overlay that basically returns it to what it is now.

Scott.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Gents,

Using VASL and board 49 v6.2, I'm thinking there's a LOS problem sighting down the road from 49F8. As seen from the first screen shot shown below, VASL reports a clear LOS down the road, past the wall hexside in G8/G9. However, as soon as the LOS check is extended beyond 49U8, VASL reports the LOS as blocked in H8 (see second screen shot). Finally, if I extend the LOS all the way down street to 49Z8, along the hex grain, VASL reports the LOS as clear (see last screen shot). Am I misunderstanding LOS or is this a bug?

Thanks for your work. Cheers

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am guessing vasl is thinking the LOS goes through the h9/g9 hexside. In some sense that is true because the g8/g9 hexside and the h9/g9 hexside overlap at that corner. That doesn't explain why the LOS straight down the hexspine works correctly. Is it programmed as a special case?

JR

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I'm not sure that VASL is wrong. NRBH, so can't check the exact wording, but I believe that the normal LOS rules grant an EXC to the general rule "walls/hedges block same-level LOS" when the LOS runs exactly down an adjacent hex-spine (adjacent to start/end hexes of the LOS, that is). So, by the rules, 49F8L0 has LOS to 49H8, 49J8, etc. All good.

Obviously, 49F8L0 also has LOS to G8, I8, etc. as the LOS will never cross any part of the wall.

The LOS from 49F8L0 to W8 as illustrated above however does cross the wall depiction and is not straight down the (adjacent) hexspine and thus qualifies for no EXC that I can think of -- but as I say, without the exact wording of the rule in front of me, I could easily be mistaken. If I'm not mistaken, then this is a (rare, in my experience) valid (artificial) consequence of the LOS rules. If I am mistaken, then it's a bug in VASL.

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Bruce. I think the thread is incorrectly reporting clear LOS to U8, S8, Q8, O8, M8 & K8 as they are not exactly along the hexspine. H8, J8, L8, N8, P8, R8, T8, V8 X8 & Z8 are all clear as these are all exactly along the hexspine. I8 also looks clear as the wall is not visible on both sides of the thread.

I'm not sure that VASL is wrong. NRBH, so can't check the exact wording, but I believe that the normal LOS rules grant an EXC to the general rule "walls/hedges block same-level LOS" when the LOS runs exactly down an adjacent hex-spine (adjacent to start/end hexes of the LOS, that is). So, by the rules, 49F8L0 has LOS to 49H8, 49J8, etc. All good.

Obviously, 49F8L0 also has LOS to G8, I8, etc. as the LOS will never cross any part of the wall.

The LOS from 49F8L0 to W8 as illustrated above however does cross the wall depiction and is not straight down the (adjacent) hexspine and thus qualifies for no EXC that I can think of -- but as I say, without the exact wording of the rule in front of me, I could easily be mistaken. If I'm not mistaken, then this is a (rare, in my experience) valid (artificial) consequence of the LOS rules. If I am mistaken, then it's a bug in VASL.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for your replies. I’m going to look for any kind of consistency on this and other boards. I’ll report back.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

As promised, I looked into this further. Here's a screen shot from board 22. In this case, and similar to other boards I checked, the VASL LOS system does not recognize the artwork from an adjacent wall as blocking the LOS...except in the case that led me to my original post (B49 F8 to beyond U8).

Just to add my own take on the rules, from B9.2 (pB7, c2000), "A wall/hedge lying lengthwise (on a hexspine) exactly along a LOS is a Half-Level LOS obstacle only if the wall/hedge hexspine is not touching the viewing or target hex..." Is this screenshot, the wall on 22Y6/Y7 is lying lengthwise on the hexspine and the vertex of the hexspine is touching the viewing hex. From the index (p.13, C2000), "...each hexside also contains two vertices..." Thus, the LOS is not blocked.

So, "exactly along a LOS" may mean that the wall/hedge artwork lies exactly along the LOS. So, notice in the 3rd screenshot below, the LOS from F8 to K8 does not lie exactly along the wall, it moves off the wall near hex H8, yet VASL returns a clear LOS. So, my thought that the LOS of an adjacent wall needs to lie exactly along or within the artwork does not appear to be supported. Maybe there's a Perry Q&A. I'll look.

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, yes, there is a relevant Q&A. From Klas' great compilation in pdf, p55 of 118, 21 May 2019, titled, "B9.2 & B9.3", the Perry Sez response gives a clear LOS between the attacking and defending hexes. True, in the Q&A case, the attacking and defending hexes are flipped, yet Reciprocity A6.5 (p.A12, C2000), should apply.

From all of this, it seems to me the LOS B49 F8 to beyond U8 should be clear, not blocked as VASL is reporting as of my last check a few minutes ago.

Cheers

Last edited:

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
bd50 has been updated to v6.4 to include the K2/L1 cliff and NoCliffs overlay.

--
Brian

All,

I'm not sure if this has been logged yet but board 50 is missing the cliff artwork along the K2/L1 hexside.

If someone can provide me with the GIMP file, I'll get it fixed.

Thanks.

Scott.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another set of missing/desired set up options. This is for something I hope to play soon (J123 Charging Chaumont), though its playable without them:

Board g: Needs out-of-season grain, and paved roads.

Overlays dx6 & 7: Need 'mud' colors, and dx7 needs out-of-season orchard.

(And I will say this is far better than the last time Patch and I looked at this, when the deluxe overlays weren't working. Thanks all!)

[Edit: hedges to barbed-wire would be nice, but that's a scenario-specific overlay at that point.]

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Another set of missing/desired set up options. This is for something I hope to play soon (J123 Charging Chaumont), though its playable without them:

Board g: Needs out-of-season grain, and paved roads.

Overlays dx6 & 7: Need 'mud' colors, and dx7 needs out-of-season orchard.

(And I will say this is far better than the last time Patch and I looked at this, when the deluxe overlays weren't working. Thanks all!)

[Edit: hedges to barbed-wire would be nice, but that's a scenario-specific overlay at that point.]
submitted to Github
board g issue
overlay dx6/dx7 issue

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
To complement the "Deluxe-size hexes" option, how about doing the same in reverse and making deluxe map hexes shrink to normal size?

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When using the CTRL J or Ctrl-G to place First fire could a change be made so that ONLY the newly placed first fire/prep fire marker is selected, This would save clicks when flipping the marker to final fire/or advancing/opp fire etc.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
BSO for boards 3a, 8 & 49 to help setup AP60 "Nishne, Nyet!" would be nice -- to transform the buildings on bd 8, the gully into the AT Ditch on bd 49, add the EmRR to bds 3a & 49, and finally add a "winterised" version of overlay Wd12 to bds 8 & 49.

Failing that, the ability to independently winterise the Wd overlays, and add various types of RR as draggable overlays would be very helpful for this scenario (and generically helpful for many scenarios, I would think).

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
BSO for boards 3a, 8 & 49 to help setup AP60 "Nishne, Nyet!" would be nice -- to transform the buildings on bd 8, the gully into the AT Ditch on bd 49, add the EmRR to bds 3a & 49, and finally add a "winterised" version of overlay Wd12 to bds 8 & 49.

Failing that, the ability to independently winterise the Wd overlays, and add various types of RR as draggable overlays would be very helpful for this scenario (and generically helpful for many scenarios, I would think).
Some of this could be a bit tricky, logged an issue on Github
SSO's for AP60 Nishne Nyet

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Definitely not an "issue", but in the "it would be nice if ..." category:

Some boards have pond hexes and hexsides scattered about. Sometimes a scenario will indicate that these do not exist.

VASL currently allows you to "drain" the ponds and leave them as depressions (level -1). Unfortunately there isn't anything else you can do with them. It would be nice if there was a "turn ponds into Level 0 open ground" option.

I can create a list of "boards with ponds" if that would help.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
VASL currently allows you to "drain" the ponds and leave them as depressions (level -1). Unfortunately there isn't anything else you can do with them. It would be nice if there was a "turn ponds into Level 0 open ground" option.
Overlay?
I've run into the same thing with other terrain. Overlays are the key.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
When Cntl-RightClick, Can we NOT have the circle move the map around?
Maybe circle the unit for 2-3 sec? if THAT?