VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you look at image properties of the .gif files with gimp, all the H2 images are indexed color with 19 colors except that one. That one has only 18 colors, and it looks as if something has gone off the rails with the colors when generating the different rotations. The colors also look different for that rotation in gimp, but not green. I would guess that one rotation is a corrupt .gif file.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm using v1.02 of the overlay extension... and that, right there, IS the problem. Here's that same overlay, presented with the same overlay in a different orientation, and also next to H3:

That one orientation turns greenish, instead of the brown of a hillock.
I can see it clearly now. Thanks. I will fix this.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it going to be possible to get the new overlay extension to obey cropping and transformations? Without those, it's nice (and a lot better for setting up beach/ocean overlays!) but not really a replacement for the old system. I can't do any better than this with 222/J83:
Overlay1.jpg

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Is it going to be possible to get the new overlay extension to obey cropping and transformations? Without those, it's nice (and a lot better for setting up beach/ocean overlays!) but not really a replacement for the old system. I can't do any better than this with 222/J83:
View attachment 6350
My first reflex was to propose using draggable overlays from VASL such as for roads. But I found out that there are no generic railroad overlays nor railorad bridges in VASL.

So my proposal:
Please add them.

One question I'd like to ask when looking at your example:

Of course, the 'green ground' does not look well in the Snow all around.
Did you place the RR overlay before or after applying Ground Snow?

In case you placed the RR overlay before applying snow and it should be impossible to 'winterize' the overlay, then I could offer an idea for a workaround:

You could cover the hexes beneath the RR with normal snow colored OG Draggable overlays (Open Ground Snow or open ground snow).

1544035135802.png

In a second step then place transparent overlays on the white OG beneath. A transparent RR overlay will only add the RR artwork without the OG part.

These can be downloaded at vasl.info here:
http://vasl.info/boards/overlays/XP_overlays.zip

The only thing I can't remember any more is how these are 'named' when you place them by the old conventional method and the link to the explanation is dead since the last major forum update.

*Maybe* it is like this: If you want a transparent version of RR1, you *might* need to type in X_RR1 or something in that line. I seem to recall that it is something with an X in the designation. Probably BigAl would know, tough.

von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I think.

Adding ground snow is a work in progress. Some overlays have it. Cropping is a different issue. I'll have to check with the coders on that but I'll bet it can be done.

The other option is scenario specific boards. Those aren't that hard to do but you do lose the LOS feature.

Is this set up for a game you'll play soon? Two options...I can do a scenario specific board for you if you don't mind losing LOS. You'll have the ground snow and a trimmed RR overlay. The other option is to update the RR overlay to add a ground snow option. It won't crop though.

Let me know how best to help you out.

Al

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not for anything I'm doing soon, and I just used the old overlay method to set it up 'correctly', so it's not a hurry. But I know there's a fair number of scenarios out there where that's going to happen. Thanks for all the work BigAl!

von Marwitz: I tried both before and after applying the transformations, and that's what I got both times. Same on the cropping.

etopp

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The link is at the start of the thread. It is a spreadsheet to log issues with VASL maps.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another 'when someone has time' request (i.e., not for a current or forseeable-future game):

Operation Schwarz (226/J107) turns orchards (instead of brush) into vineyards. Looks like it'd be a good scenario-specific overlay for board 39. (I'll also note vineyard draggable overlays might be neat in general, though it won't fix this, since the orchards would interfere with a transparent background, and some of the orchards in question are on crest lines.)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The cropping issues that were noticed with bd41 & bd42 seem to be more widespread. There is (perhaps) a problem with cropping in general that must have been introduced in the most recent build (I've never seen it occur before).

Setting up J79 "Rommel's Remedy", I set up the 4 boards and crop bd26 A-P, no problems so far. Then I select bd27 and apply the same cropping. This is what happens:

VASLCapture.JPG

Um ... this is kind of a huge problem.

EDIT: on further testing if I deliberately try to crop bd30, it crops bd27 instead.

I wonder if the issue is the placement in the 2 x 2 matrix, rather than the specific boards selected?

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
On a more general note, it would be handy when placing overlays via the extension if the reported hex position of the overlay matched the current positions of the "1/2" hexes of the overlay. As it is, you're trying to place the overlay on two specific hexes, and it keeps telling you that it's located in two completely different hexes. If it can't tell me the information I'm looking for, it would be better if it didn't report anything at all.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
And a couple of further minor points:

If you select "DTO terrain" in the "Terrain Transformations" window, all three boxes under "DTO Transformations" get ticked. Since two out of those three options are non-standard and are only required in a small number of scenarios, this is sub-optimal.

Of course the overlays don't obey the "broken terrain" transformation. (I don't need these fixed, I understand the current limitations.)

(Edited out some irrelevant comments when I realised I was stupidly placing one of the overlays incorrectly.)

To help with the non-transformation of overlays, it would be nice if we could have some new draggable overlays specifically for DTO situations -- or even more specifically, for Broken Terrain situations -- i.e., inherent brush, DTO-coloured crags and Broken Ground hex overlays.

Last edited:

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
The British ACs Humber III LRC and Otter LRC (Veh Note 45) have Optional ATR, but I can't find the counters in VASL. Maybe they are missing. Thanks.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The cropping issues that were noticed with bd41 & bd42 seem to be more widespread. There is (perhaps) a problem with cropping in general that must have been introduced in the most recent build (I've never seen it occur before).

Setting up J79 "Rommel's Remedy", I set up the 4 boards and crop bd26 A-P, no problems so far. Then I select bd27 and apply the same cropping. This is what happens:

View attachment 6413

Um ... this is kind of a huge problem.

EDIT: on further testing if I deliberately try to crop bd30, it crops bd27 instead.

I wonder if the issue is the placement in the 2 x 2 matrix, rather than the specific boards selected?

I have had this VERY same problem this time board 32 and croping for Grebbe End.
I was using a filler board to one side to give a big playing area, and the program cropped it and not Board 32
Sop I'm with you..... Not about the boards

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi,

British DUKW counter with the optional AAMG lacks the ROF 2 number.

Thanks for correcting.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Both my opponent and I are on Macs, using 6.4.3

He generated a vlog which I stepped thru. I see that he Control-Click to put a circle on the targeted German 248 .. and then drew a LOS from the hilltop firer to the target .. and VASL froze. I had to do a Force-Quit to get out of VASL.

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 22.14.14.png