VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. Also I would agree that it is a low priority. Out of all the transformations, light woods falls under "almost unnecessary". It is quite ez to get along without the transformation
However, they could also be used to denote Pine Woods or very tall stands of trees/forest [EX: Hurtgen & Voges, Pripet, etc]. As you said not a high priority, but it may have other uses.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
However, they could also be used to denote Pine Woods or very tall stands of trees/forest [EX: Hurtgen & Voges, Pripet, etc]. As you said not a high priority, but it may have other uses.
It could also denote Woods defoliated by Agent Orange for upcoming ASL Vietnam modules (when they are done with what lies between Korea and Nam)... :D

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Suggestion for the LOS-Tool:

As this gets more and more developed, I reckon most people do use it with the preference of "snap to grid" (i.e. center dots or vertices). Interestingly, using VASL v6.4.1, my LOS normally snaps to grid even with that option not checked.

There are some instances of atypical LOS (Road use, A4.132), though, that use neither the center dot nor vertex to draw a LOS.

For these cases, it would be handy if the VASL Map window held a button (or allowed to add one), that switches on/off the "snap to grid" function of the LOS that needs otherwise to be adjusted via Files/Preferences/LOS/Snap Thread to grid. This function would also be handy to be able to string a LOS if the result given by the LOS tool is apparently incorrect [EX: 20X2 to 20L8 clear, 20X2 to 20K9 and 20J9 hindered, and 20X2 to 20I10 clear again] or slightly offset.

von Marwitz

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all, noticed a challenge with the sewer counters. When a unit gets lost, it is tricky getting to the "lost" sewer counter. What we found to work was Ctrl "L" activates the label portion of the counter, but afterwards it will show as the correct "Lost" counter. V

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Hi all, noticed a challenge with the sewer counters. When a unit gets lost, it is tricky getting to the "lost" sewer counter. What we found to work was Ctrl "L" activates the label portion of the counter, but afterwards it will show as the correct "Lost" counter. V
Yes, something seems screwy. As if there's a "Ctrl-L" for "Lost" that's being hidden by the "Ctrl-L" for "Label". Ctrl-E for "Emerge" will cycle through the various options, but will never cycle to or from the "Lost" counter.

It would be better I think to have a "Ctrl-F" "Flip" option to change between the "Sewer" and "Lost" faces.

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Yes, something seems screwy. As if there's a "Ctrl-L" for "Lost" that's being hidden by the "Ctrl-L" for "Label". Ctrl-E for "Emerge" will cycle through the various options, but will never cycle to or from the "Lost" counter.

It would be better I think to have a "Ctrl-F" "Flip" option to change between the "Sewer" and "Lost" faces.
Added this as an issue to GitHub #478. Bruce's assessment looks correct and I agree with his suggestion for a Flip option.

Thanks

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I believe I found an error on the "Info" panel of the British Wolverine:

Wolverine.jpg
It says sD5[up5]. I believe it must say s5[up5]. At least that is what is found in my paper Chapter H.

von Marwitz

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When you use command CTRL-V on a broken first line French Squad it is replace by an unbroken first line HS

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
When you use command CTRL-V on a broken first line French Squad it is replace by an unbroken first line HS
I'm not able to duplicate that behavior.
Are you working from a saved game or pulling a fresh counter from the tray?
Which VASL version?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I might be mistaken, but...

I *think* that the Chinese nationality marker in VASL used to be able to be "flippable" between Chinese National Army (dark blue & white sun) and Red Chinese (red sun) comparable to the US Army and US Marines.

Currently, I am setting up a scenario including Chinese and I couldn't make it happen.

Chinese.jpg

Using VASL v6.4.2.

von Marwitz

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
is there a known LOS problem on board Y. my los string says I can shoot right through buildings , woods and whatever?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Since the VASL-server is recently haunted by some a**hole who ruins games by deleting all counters, Jazz has come up with an idea which might make a good addition to VASL:

From what I understand, other VASSAL Modules have an "Observer" status for folks that are....observing...and are not granted access to manipulating counters?

VASL does not seem to have this option?
von Marwitz

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
**** Ignore - map is fine ****

Both the actual GT map depictions and SSR# GT3 states that there is one stone building and the rest of the buildings are wooden. However, the VASL GT map has some of the multi-building hexes yellow-colored (and 'fuzzied') like they are huts. Specifically hexes K5, L6, N13, N14, O14, O15, P15 should be normal brown wood buildings.

Map Version = Gavutu-Tanambogo v1.0
VASL version = 6.4.2
VASSAL versioon = 3.2.17
running on HP laptop, iCore3, Windows 10

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
That's how they were depicted in the original overlays from the Annual.

Why do you think they're not huts? GT3 says PTO is in effect; G5.1 explicitly describes huts as wooden buildings. I don't see any SSR to the effect of "huts are NA".

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's how they were depicted in the original overlays from the Annual.

Why do you think they're not huts? GT3 says PTO is in effect; G5.1 explicitly describes huts as wooden buildings. I don't see any SSR to the effect of "huts are NA".
Because of the following: Rising Sun GT map has them all as depicted as wooden buildings (not huts). GT SSR GT3 says "Building 3139 is stone; all other buildings are wooden." Even the orignial GT map has 1045 and 1057 multi-building hex looking like wooden (not "hut like").

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
It doesn't matter what the RS map "depicts them as". What is important is the rules, that DO NOT say "these are not huts". PTO terrain is in effect, hexes with multiple wooden building depictions are huts. Since you missed it the first time I said, it clearly bears repeating: G5.1 explicitly says that huts are wooden buildings. There is no inconsistency with the GT rules or the Chapter G rules. The original GT overlays are fine. The RS map is fine. The VASL map is fine.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
CG4.47 mentions that blazes in huts are replaced with open ground, while blazes in buildings are replaced with rubble, so that sounds as if huts are in play.

JR