VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am meddling with Bd7a (v6.1) and am encountering a number of issues with the LOS tool (VASSAL v3.2.17, VASL v6.3.3).

An example:

View attachment 2057
Settings for the above were 7a flipped, ETO, Grain in season, PTO-Transformations: Palmtrees checked.

I tried various settings with that board getting various LOS errors. However, I could not exactly reproduce the same errors. Sometimes, LOS seemed good, then wrong in various places.

von Marwitz
Had you cropped the board? I had a similar problem a while back (can't remember the board(s), but the problem manifested itself when the boards were cropped to a full hex.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Had you cropped the board? I had a similar problem a while back (can't remember the board(s), but the problem manifested itself when the boards were cropped to a full hex.
No, it was a 'full' board 7a.

von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I suggest to remove the "MOVE" attribute on the Fixed CA counter. I cannot see a reason to ever tag that counter as Moved and it is a minor annoyance to clear it after moving it. I like to keep one handy near the map, so this is a continuous thing for me.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't recall if I've seen this mentioned before...sorry if it has and I missed it.

VASSAL 3.2.17
VASL 6.4

Red Barricades map version 2.2 - the LOS string starts and ends offset from the hex center dot.

The map works fine in 3.2.15/6.22

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
There are a number of issues with the DTO boards.

First, board 25 doesn't convert to ETO terrain.

Second, when converting ETO terrain to DTO terrain, it does so with the OLD (pale ) DTO colors. This is NOT just about aesthetic appearance; it can make distinguishing hill levels VERY confusing, too.

John.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the woods in 4O1 are a bit over the top in that they block the LOS down the hex side when it is clear on my physical board to the point that infantry bypass is clearly allowed.

Capture.PNG

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks like one of the cases where VASL LOS shows blocked because the thread touches a woods pixel but the rule is that LOS is blocked if the terrain is visible on both sides of the thread. Not the case here. If you were playing me, I'd say this is a clear LOS.

Programming the VASL LOS thread to show clear LOS in cases like this isn't possible as far as I know.

I could shave the woods a few pixels but I'd be willing to bet there's paper boards out there that show the woods as depicted on the VASL board.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My board 4 (From the recent BV reprint with SK maps) shows it clearly bypass-able by infantry. On the VASL board, this would not happen.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My board 4 (From the recent BV reprint with SK maps) shows it clearly bypass-able by infantry. On the VASL board, this would not happen.
Agreed, there needs to be a sliver of green visible along the VASL version of hexside 4O1/P1. If anyone has any objections, speak now else I'll make the fix in about a week.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It just occurred to me that Yanks 2 has Steeple counters - but VASL hasn't.

Or it could just be that I can't find them... :)

von Marwitz

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Look under "Draggable Overlays" - "Terrain" - "Stairwell" - "Steeple"

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Look under "Draggable Overlays" - "Terrain" - "Stairwell" - "Steeple"
I am aware of the "Steeple" symbol for the maps. But I am talking about a Steeple level counter, which differs from normal level counters as it signifies the limited stacking possibilities of a Steeple location.

There were counters of this sort in Yanks 2.

von Marwitz

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if this has been mentioned or already considered, but I thought I would put in a request for a change to the Notify about special DRs field. Would it be a lot more work to allow players to choose to enable a booby trap DR reminder?

Thanks for all of your work on VASL. Now playing RB CG1 on VASL, thanks again.

BC

Kaiax33

Reaction score
First name
Kai
Country
llUnited States
I have a major problem with VASL.....

....it's so much superior to any other hex-and-counter VASSAL modules that it makes me frustrated to ever play anything else!! Simple things like, identifying the hex via mouseover, or easily highlighting the current counter selected ("in focus", for you AppDev types). In addition, the VASL taskbar is so much more intuitive and cleaner than some of the others, that I find myself begging for other folks to use VASL as the defining standard of what a VASSAL module should be.

I know this is a forum for bug-reporting and desires, but I just wanted to thank you for providing a superior and quality application for those of us without the time or inclination for F2F games. Truly exceptional!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, I have a suggestion for the next iteration of VASL. This regards further enhancing something that VASL already does VERY well. Night actions.
1) It would be very helpful if the respective starshell attempted counters had a delete all function.
2) If the prep and defensive fire markers did NOT illuminate the hex they were in, that would also be extremely helpful, as they often do so on the border of an illuminated area, giving the impression, at a quick glance, that they are part of an illuminated area, when they are not. This can lead to confusion, as shots at a gunflash are always made as area fire shots.

Many thanks for all the great things that the VASL guys do to make this such a fantastic module to utilize.

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The updated VASLOverlay extension is close to being released. I've got a few guys testing it now. Got a little behind because life happened.

I'll post on this thread when it's available for download.

Allan

Philippe R

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello. Trying to build the map for HoB BtB1 Taking Tailleveille, I cannot place X14 ON overlay BFP V-1 : every time, it disappears below, stuck on board BFP-C.
How can I do that ? (Alt+Left Click moves the overlay sideway, not up/down the pile...
Regards