VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

I've put up an online form for submitting VASL map problems and suggestions. It's here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tdo77NGkfT04rGbM_ZASzqw&output=html

As explained on the first sheet, it's a 3-step process:
1) You fill out the form and submit it
2) It waits in the holding queue till a Map Elf looks at it
3) If valid/legit, it goes into the list of Problems To Be Worked, or if it's just a Good Idea, it goes onto the Good Idea List

Hopefully this will give people a sense that, yes, their map issues are at least catalogued somewhere. Hopefully, One Fine Day, the Map Elves will get around to fixing these issues, but that's another story.

The list is pre-populated with the issues that I've kept track of for a while, in addition to everything mentioned on GameSquad over the last 16 months or so. I've pinged Rodney and Counterman to see if they'd like to use this list for their own coding/counter issues - we'll see.

I'll also ping Jazz to see if he'll make this a sticky, or add it to the list of VASL links.

So, please use it at your convenience. I'll still be monitoring the GameSquad forums, of course, but I want to keep the official ToDo list on this Google Spreadsheet in order to give people a place to refer to for known map issues.

Problems, questions, suggestions, speak up!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For Alessandro Demichelis - you submitted the problem report below. I didn't see your email address, so I'm just replying here in the Forums. I believe this issue is already being worked by Counterman. I'll forward it on to him for his confirmation.

I noticed that broken morale of American 747 Assault Engineer squad is 7, whereas the broken morale of American 747 Assault Engineer half-squad is 8.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just went through the ToDo List and reviewed everything that was in the In Queue. Most of them could be resolved; a few are waiting for me to get some quality time with my pixel brushes.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today's fixes:
* Made the bd 22 roads paved (Enrico's submission)
* Fixed overlay Hi9 (both orientations c and e) so that First to Fastov should now work (Dave Reenstra and Tom Jazbutis' submissions)
* Fixed 8DD10 (Larry's submission)
* Marked as "fixed" some items that are not a problem or have been fixed for a while:
- discolored edge on overlay ST3c
- no brush on 21N3,O3,P2
- overlay X10 needing to be placed with only one coordinate, not two
- bd8 buildings are wood, not stone (Alessandro's submission)
- LOS from vN9 to vQ7 is shown as blocked when it's clear in reality (Jake's submission)

Items that have been fixed are colored with a grey background in section 3a of the VASL Map ToDo List

Last edited:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
i'm in touch w/ the ToDo list, some good ideas there!

i'll get to work on providing dragovers for Crags & Irrigation Ditches, but i need artwork for those Ditches.

the idea for a 'Starshells Fired' marker (and adding it to the 'Remove Starshells/IR' listing) will be fairly easy to implement.

but i'm not convinced of the need for Fortification ctrs to be available as dragovers, proponents of this idea should post to a new thread on this forum.

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
For Alessandro Demichelis - you submitted the problem report below. I didn't see your email address, so I'm just replying here in the Forums. I believe this issue is already being worked by Counterman. I'll forward it on to him for his confirmation.
Thank you very much Tuomo :)

bocko57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am using 5.8 VASL and when I try to use any scenario that has anything but V5 files such as VASL or V56, I get an error and does not load. What is the workaround, fix or whatever I need to do to get them to work.

thanks
Bocko

SCK40

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody know how to get the escarpment overlay working? I've tried a whole bunch of hex combos in the setup box for board 25 but no luck. I'm sure it's simple and somehow I'm just not getting it.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very confused...I re-downloaded VASL/VASSAL a few days ago after it had all stopped working...and VASSAL has now disappeared from my computer. So I d/led it again...and once again, this morning VASSAL had vanished... :crosseye:

What the...?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Chas,

Dumb questions, did you down load the vassal 3.14 engine installer? Did you run it to install VASSAL 3.14? Did you download the VASL 5.92.zip file and unzip it and get the vasl.mod file and place in in the VASSAL module folder and then launch VASSAL and open VASL?

Also, I created a sub-directory in the module directory called VASL-Data it contains my boards, extensions, overlays and game saves.

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
upgrading to VASL 5.9.x is confusing, just another example of VASL's inexplicable wonderfulness. i'm supposed to be writing a 'sticky' for upgrade installation, but haven't produced anything yet.

short version:

1) you need a Java JRE installation, at least version5 update8, if your earlier VASL was working OK, you've prob'ly got no problem here.

2) you need to upgrade your VASSAL to v3.1.14 - even if you've never installed VASSAL before. Go to http://www.vassalengine.org/?option=com_downloads&Itemid=26 - d/l & install it - be sure you d/l the version that's compatible w/ your OS.

3) next, install VASL(v5.9.2 is the latest) - get it from here: http://advancedsquadleader.net/index.php/VASL_mods - it's a zipfile, not an installer. Extract the contents of VASLv592.zip to a dir of your choice. you'll want to put its contents (VASL.mod) in an identifialbe dir (such as 'VASL-5.9.2').

4) now you've got to Start VASSAL, its install should give you shortcuts to it. Open him, choose File > Open Module from the menubar, then nav to & select the new 'VASL.mod' file from your new 'VASL-5.9.2' dir. If successful, 'VASL' will remain in its 'Module Library' panel, the next time you open VASSAL.

5) assuming VASL has started, it should pick up on your existing VASL Preferences (if you're lucky). If not, you must open the VASL prefs & give it your username, password, & boardfile locations. It's not necessary to re-download all the boards & overlays, just make sure your prefs are pointing to your existing dirs.

6) once VASL starts, you can open existing VASL game-files normally. for faster access, you can right-click on the 'VASL' entry in the VASSAL 'Module Library' panel & add 'Saved Game Folders' to VASL - drill into these folders and right-click > Open a file to open it in VASL. VASL gamefiles are v. robust & will work equally well when exchanged between different versions.

7) you can save games w/ the .vsav & .vlog filename-extensions - double-click on files w/ these extensions in Explorer or Finder to open the file in VASL directly, w/o having to "start VASSAL & open VASL" beforehand.

hth

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas,

Dumb questions, did you down load the vassal 3.14 engine installer? Did you run it to install VASSAL 3.14? Did you download the VASL 5.92.zip file and unzip it and get the vasl.mod file and place in in the VASSAL module folder and then launch VASSAL and open VASL?

Also, I created a sub-directory in the module directory called VASL-Data it contains my boards, extensions, overlays and game saves.
I am certain I did all of those things. I played on VASL for some time each night that I got it working. The next day when I logged on VASSAL was gone, though VASL was still there.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Chas,

Have you tried reinstalling VASSAL? Then launch it and try loading VASL. If that fails maybe your java system got messed up?

PatGagne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi guys,

First, thanks for all the work that you put in VASL! We really appreciate it!

I reported a counter problem even though the list is for Map problems. I hope it will find its way! The US M5 76L AT should read s6^5 as in chapter H.

Thanks!

Pat

Norlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Board 63 from the VASL Map Bazaar seems to be missing its LOS bd63.map file
Think there may be some others missing it as well, this something that was missed or just something that will be added in a later version?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Board 63 from the VASL Map Bazaar seems to be missing its LOS bd63.map file
Think there may be some others missing it as well, this something that was missed or just something that will be added in a later version?
Probably not:

...and the board loads and is available for play....? At least mine did.

I was surprised when I learned from Tuomo last week that any of his V5 VASL boards supported the LOS Engine.
Some v5 boards do, some don't. I used to make the effort and now I don't.
Somewhere down in the thread at
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?88439-The-VASL-Map-Bazaar-is-open!&p=1359300&viewfull=1#post1359300

Last edited:

Norlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Jazz, any way we can contribute and make the .map files for LOS? I looked for some instructions but couldn't really find a tutorial. Is there a way this can be done for overlays as well, or are they completely out?